Poor Taste

Great, JUDO. I can look forward to losing my ignorance and achieving snobhood. I'm already obnoxious, I'm not sure I can handle another character flaw.

Architecture

KD -

It's like building a house. Before you can put your stamp on creating your own particular brand of house, it's best to know how they've been built before.

Then, once you know, you look for ways to expand - other artistic influences, other concepts from the other arts which your mind can apply. It only gets really fun when the pretentions are left behind.

Not everyone agrees with this because there are greater and lesser degrees to which knowledge can become part of you. It's a good argument and one to be listened to.

;)
- Judo

-
The death of the author is the birth of the reader. - Bahktin

I think you can always ask but feel free to make your own opinion. Sometimes other people see things in your work that you never knew existed just as other people see things in your soul you never knew were there.

Just keep it open, ask them them what were their feelings when they wrote the poem, or for clarification. Make sure it's clear you like it, and if you're afraid they'll be mad, pretend you're stupid and that's why you don't understand it. They'll take pity on you, feel superior, and explain their vision. Probably more than you wanted to know, too.

hope your thoughts blossom
when their roots touch other roots
and they will flourish

reddelicious :kiss:

Re: Architecture

JUDO said:
KD -

It's like building a house. Before you can put your stamp on creating your own particular brand of house, it's best to know how they've been built before.
;)
- Judo

Well, thank you very much, Judo, for exposing me as a fraud...

Here I am, saying I really don't mind and even enjoy discussing my poetry with others, explain my choices and imagery, and only now that you mention it do I realize that when anyone asks me to explain my arquitecture (that's what I do) my first impulse is to bash their heads agains the nearest wall! I think I must do some soul search now...

Hmmm...

LH -

Well, isn't it great to know that you can get beyond that, though? Each new realization along the way takes you closer.

You've learned and practiced, learned some more, thrown away your early observations and rules. Soon enough, you'll throw them all away and just create as only you can.

I think that is way bitchin.

;)
- Judo

karmadog said:
I've always wanted to know this but I was too embarassed to ask. It's hard to believe, but I don't like looking like an idiot.

Is it in poor taste to ask a poet what their poem means? Sometimes I'll read a poem and have no idea what the poet is writing about, but others seem to get it so I assume it's just me.

What are your thoughts? Would it offend you that someone didn't understand what you had put so much soul-baring work into? Would you just think the person asking was an idiot? Would it flatter you that they cared enough to ask?

Latinababe

It's not in poor taste to ask a poet what there poem means. I find myself asking at times what they mean. Then as they tell me I can understand alot better. I wouldn't think I wouldn't be offened if I was asked by someone what I have wrote.

Blow Hard

Is it windy in here? Ask a poet? What a load of crap! Demand from the poet! There are levels of understanding a poem. As a reader we don’t need to get them all. Depending on the skill of the poet and the skill of the reader the understanding or appreciation of the poem will vary greatly.

The greatest asset to an artist is a skilled reader. This does not minimize the “Great job I loved it!” comment at all. The best poems are the ones that haunt us, that on each viewing we get a shiver and find a nuance to love. A good poem operates in shades of a single emotion. An average reader can see one shade. As we grow we notice that the damn clever poet has painted a rainbow in a single tone. We need someone, the poet and readers to discuss the poem. Poetry is not magic! The trick will not be spoiled by discussion.

How much should a poet reveal? I think most of it, but never all. Leave something for the reader to discover. If they get the soul of your poem you have done the job. A poem in my opinion should never be some hazy thing that the reader cannot touch. Nor should the poet bend their art to make it transparent. Write to your audience. As poets become better writers their poetry gains complexity and simplicity at the same time. Ask a poet what their poem means ha! Half the time they do not know and are waiting for us to tell them. And never explain a poem to your readers’ unless they ask. Don’t start with a preamble or explanation. Don’t say I was feeling blue or horny that it came after a breakup or the birth of your child. That it is an experiment of some sort, or a departure from how you usually write. You can tell us all that sod after we have had a chance to read. If you have written a decent poem it will be evident!

I hope everyone had a chance to launch a kite or two. I'm going to stop talking so they wind will die down. Start reeling those fella's in.

U.P.

karmadog said:

Is it in poor taste to ask a poet what their poem means?

Most of the time it's perfectly ok. There might be some exceptions.

Sometimes I'll read a poem and have no idea what the poet is writing about,
That's typical. U'r not different from the vast majority of readers.

but others seem to get it so I assume it's just me.
They have hutzpah.

What are your thoughts?

Author's opinion about her/his poem is no different from anybody's opinion, granted that:

1. author tends to be better prepared to talk about her/his poem
(but may miss/forget to tell U the most important things because they seem so obvious to her/him);

2. Often the interaction of the given poem with other poems of the same author, with the body of author's work is essential, or even with the author's personal biographical data (that's why it is good to have knowledgable and talented critics).

In principle, once the poem is out it is on its own and author is irrelevant.

Regards,

Senna Jawa

Is it in poor taste to ask?

No, it's not in poor taste to ask a poet the meaning of their work.

From all the discussion, the asker will possibly get some new information (probably more than they wanted) and the askee will be happy that somebody noticed.

;)
- Judo

Ask a poet!

I think there are some poets who post their poems on this discussion board less for actually getting feedback than for showing them off.

Some poems are so incomprehensable (sp?) that I couldn't begin to critique them. When a poet lives so far deep in their work that they can write pages and pages of confusing explanation of their confusing poem, and still leave their true intentions a mystery, it makes me wonder if they really feel that their writing could move to another level, and desire feedback to help get it there.

i love thepoetry here

hi..i'm new at this but here goes...

I sit in awe..I cannot believe it
What you have just done for me
We hold one another closer yet
You tell me teasingly..
You have more in store for me...
My heart is pounding as loud as ocean waves
Your arms are around me,we stand face to face
You look into my eyes...
For what seems lke an eternity
You smile warmly and tell me that you want me...

to be continued....

:) :)

DA -

Thanks for the first post and Welcome to the Poetry Forum at Literotica.

Was that your first poem posted here? If so, I guess you're looking for feedback on what's there in spite of the "to be continued" at the bottom. No?

The first thing I would say to you is be careful of the "trite phrase." They can be good place holders, but don't leave them there. In your poem, I see the phrases "sit in awe, heart is pounding, seems like an eternity." These can be used in the appropriate place, but seem a little too used in this context.

Also, the "eternity" seems a little over-exaggerated, perhaps another way of expressing the moment, the feeling?

Plus, be careful of your metaphors:

You "sit in awe" and yet a few lines later you are standing face to face.

In the poem, it seems as thought something has just happened and everything is now very still with the exception of your pounding heart. Perhaps it is this that you wanted to emphasize. Easier done in a rewrite.

Some thoughts.
- Judo

your point is very well taken my friend Judo,perhaps i shall learn from the best poetry i have seen so far at literotica,that being yours...

How lucky we are, to be right where we are
To have found each other..
to have love in our lives..love while so many hate..
Our convrsation is broken by kisses so deep
the intensity a sign of things to come...
My passion is stronger than the sea..
Can you feel it???

Hey, wait minute!

No fair sucking up to JUDO for good comments!

I may be insecure but my feelings are intense..
I look for the stranger to open my fence..
let me fly free now passions do rise
up flies my love ..yes into the skies..
My lover,my lover..you drive me insane
thewant of you so strong
when you call my name..
along the inside of my thigh your tongue does travel..
chills are flowing through me ..
My body becomes a powder keg
I feel ready to explode..ready to erupt
Your tongue finds the spot ..
My clit strts to swell..
Your tongue is skilled at the art of pleasure
this my love makes you quite a treasure..

dedicated to:"a stranger"

nope not sucking anyone ..unless HE'S able to handle it..all nite long.... just stating the truth to Judo that's all kd...so chill babe ok?/ peace

Senna Jawa, are you being facetious? It's late and I'm tired, so I'm not sure.
Even though "Uck! I wouldn't call it poetry" is a profound statement, I still wish you'd elaborate on it. What exactly do you not like about this poem?

Introduction to Poetry
by Billy Collins (US poet laureate)

I ask them to take a poem
and hold it up to the light
like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem's room
and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to waterski
across the surface of a poem
waving at the author's name on the shore.

But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with rope
and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
to find out what it really means.

This poem has already been posted in Lit at least 3 times... I guess that means we all agree with its content. Why do we keep doing this, then?

Lauren sweetie

I was asking SJ what he/she didn't like about it. I posted the poem for those who may not know the poem, so they don't have to go looking for it. (it's called being polite)
I'm actually curious to hear SJ's opinion on Introduction to Poetry. I like it, but I don't think it's a pearl.

Eve, hun

That's not what I meant, you know me better than that...

why do we keep
"beating it with a hose
to find out what it really means."

Lauren pumpkin

No, I don't know you better than that. lol At least, not yet.
Honestly, I don't care enough about the poem or Billy Collins to continue with this.
If you don't like it SJ, then that's cool. If you don't want to see it posted anymore, Lauren, then that's cool. The Fonz was cool, and the weather here in VA is cool. I think I'll write a poem about all this cool. (I tend to jabber on and on when I'm sleepy)

Back