pubes - the word

This might be a case where the dictionary definition doesn't quite capture the vernacular:

Oxford dictionary: pubis = one of the two bones that form the sides of the pelvis (which is a medical definition).

As a variant to the McCulloch reference above (wtf?), I'd say, "The dancer had a bare pubis," referring to the mound above the labia, at the base of her belly; but in my mind (and certainly in Australia), "pubes" is always the hair, not the flesh.

Suzie shaved her pubes, and proudly displayed her bare pubis.

"Nice," EB said, "but I liked your map of Tasmania."

"It's okay," Suzie replied. "It's different, not better. And besides, hair always grows back." She sighed, as she lowered herself to his mouth.

This is one of those informative conversations the forum is meant to have, not like the bullshit and bollocks in that thread over there -------->

My take: Since it's vernacular, multiple uses will fly, depending upon the circumstances. It's not something to be too strict about.

I think all of these could be OK:

"Dude, I saw her bare pubes."

"Dude, I came away with her pubes in my mouth."

"Dude, I had a pube stuck between my teeth."

"Dude, she had hairy pubes."

Carry on.

I don't think it's that clear.

Merriam-Webster definition:

• the lower part of the abdomen at the front of the pelvis, covered with hair from puberty.
    * plural form of pubis

This indicates it refers to the region, not the hair.

It gives this example from a sentence in a work by Colleen McCulloch, of all people: "There were dancers who stripped to the buff …, displaying pubes devoid of the smallest hair … "

I think you could have this sentence:

"Dude, I saw her pubes."

And it could mean either that he saw her hair or he saw her pussy. Depending on context, I think it can be singular or plural.

Sometimes the conversations we have in this forum amaze me.
A plural "pubes" is not the same as a singular "pubes." These are two different words.

"Pubis" is pluralized as "pubes", but "pube" is also pluralized as "pubes."

"I saw her pubes" can't mean that he saw her pubises, 'cause she only has one of those. It can only refer to her hair(s).

It's short for "pubic hairs", isn't it? So plural, and pronounced like "pubic" but ending in a -z sound instead of -ic.
"Pubizz?" You have to be taking the pizz!

I don't think it's that clear.

Merriam-Webster definition:

• the lower part of the abdomen at the front of the pelvis, covered with hair from puberty.
    * plural form of pubis

This indicates it refers to the region, not the hair.

It gives this example from a sentence in a work by Colleen McCulloch, of all people: "There were dancers who stripped to the buff …, displaying pubes devoid of the smallest hair … "

I think you could have this sentence:

"Dude, I saw her pubes."

And it could mean either that he saw her hair or he saw her pussy. Depending on context, I think it can be singular or plural.

Sometimes the conversations we have in this forum amaze me.
Fair criticism. You're right that they're homonyms. I'd still be careful using "pubes" to refer to the area, because most readers will think of the hair itself. Particularly in dialogue - "Dude, I saw her pubes." Maybe it's an age thing, but if I went around saying that to everyone in my demographic, I doubt a single one would consider the fact that I might be referring to her (multiple?) pubises, or her pubes area.

No. It refers to the hairs themselves. Nothing else. Single hair = single pube. Multiple hairs = pubes.

"Did you see his pube? It is on the floor."
"Did you see his pubes? They are on the floor."

Treat it like any other standard pluralisation.
That makes lots of sense, but doesn't match other definitions on line and in this thread. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a useless word because there is no common understanding.

I doubt a single one would consider the fact that I might be referring to her (multiple?) pubises, or her pubes area.
Oh yeah, that reminds me:

Pubis, prounounced "pyoob is"
Pubes, prounounced "pyoob eez"
Pube, pronounced "pyoob"
Pubes, pronounced "pyoobz"

Four completely different pronounciations.

Last edited:
doesn't match other definitions on line and in this thread
The only definitions, as in ones from dictionaries, which I've seen are for the anatomical part.

The one about hair is colloquial, so, either these particular dictionaries have just skipped it, or, certain posters have deliberately left out their dictionary's definition of "pube."

People are completely ignoring that it's two different words we're talking about, and acting like there's only one and people are defining it wrong.

Okay, this is way too complicated! From now on, everyone in my stories will be shaved smooth.

Yes, even the mother.

It's not complicated at all.

In addition to the dictionary links to the plural-of-pyoobis we've seen, let's no longer ignore all the actual dictionaries which have actual definitions of the singular of pyoobz. See above for pronounciation guide.

https://www.google.com/search?q=define:pube

It really isn't complicated unless people ignore that these are two different words, each with a different pronounciation and each with a different singular and plural form.

Back