Short stories? Share with us! 💗

I too am fond of a taut, tightly controlled tale. Most Lit stories here would benefit by being cut down by a good quarter. On the other hand as a writer it is extremely difficult to do much character development (or even 3D rounding) in less than 5K. My normal (and best) work is in the 7-12K range.

You might enjoy my latest, however, Too Good to be True, just a hair over 3K, just a one-pager.
Yes, will surely check it out. Thank you 💗

My stories started out taut with the goal of keeping them under 10K words. But as others have said, Lit readers prefer 3+ pages so I've been getting more verbose lately.

Excluding 750s, the only 3K one I've published is Halloween tale-with-a twist Recall (3,063 words), closely followed by corny noir Literature and Lust at 3,701 words.
Yes, that's a comfortable length for short story readers.
Will check it out soon.
Thank you 💗

It's absolutely okay.
It's easier for the readers to select the length of the stories, they wish to start reading.
Trust me, smaller stories lead to bigger stories.
We can mention the word count for reference on our stories.
It's a request to all the writers here on literotica.
I will also do it with my next story and further to that.
I'm confused.

By the time you get to the story page where tags are visible, isn't the word count already displayed?

I used to post chapters of my stories but my readers overwhelmingly voiced their preference for longer reads. Since having the smaller chapters removed and the longer single story submitted, the feedback and score for each story has increased.

How lovely. Will read all of them one by one.

May be I will create a folder for all the short story readers on my profile.

So all the stories shared here will be added to that folder and anyone can read them. 😁

I'm confused.

By the time you get to the story page where tags are visible, isn't the word count already displayed?

I used to post chapters of my stories but my readers overwhelmingly voiced their preference for longer reads. Since having the smaller chapters removed and the longer single story submitted, the feedback and score for each story has increased.
I understand your confusion.
Many readers on Literotica prefer longer reads.
But there are readers who would like to read not more than 3K words, even shorter the better.
Presently there is no option to select such stories on search tab.
We can't check each and every story individually to select shorter stories.
If the writers tag the word count, it'll be easier for the readers to select it on the search.
It's just that. Hope I could clear a bit of your confusion.

Mine aren't published. I just put them in my thread The first one is too short to post, and the second was slightly over the minimum to post. Here is the link for the first one the other's are links below it. Not sure if this would count here or not. The story begins after the pink writing. Mine are experiences that I shared with my ex-boyfriend. I guess you could say it's Exhibitionism.

https://forum.literotica.com/threads/impishseraphs-room.560195/
Sure. Will have a look. I guess that's an interesting thread.

Hi," said Mary to a complete stranger in a pub, "Fancy a quicky in the bogs?"

"Sure, I've nothing better to do. Mind if I use the back door? I don't trust you not to be on the pill."

"Sure, you can use the free soap as lube."

"Great idea, it'll kill my STDs too."

Two minutes later Mary felt the joy of the little piggy rolling in her muddy hollow.

"By eck, that were good, said the stranger as he dumped a load in under a minute.

"Thanks," said Mary, "I hate waiting ages for a guy to finish.

I understand your confusion.
Many readers on Literotica prefer longer reads.
But there are readers who would like to read not more than 3K words, even shorter the better.
Presently there is no option to select such stories on search tab.
We can't check each and every story individually to select shorter stories.
If the writers tag the word count, it'll be easier for the readers to select it on the search.
It's just that. Hope I could clear a bit of your confusion.
My confusion is over how readers (those who even use them) would know to search for shorter stories using the tags you suggest. For example, there are likely hundreds of tags that i would never think of using when searching for a story. The content of the story is what I focus search tags on.

When I select a story from one of the lists rather than searching for it, I might review the tags entered for it, but to do that, I would already be able to see how many words it contained.

I advise against creating unilateral methods for marking story length (other than using the ‘750 words’ tag). Wait for the site to fix its interface and use your ten story tags to represent story content, not metadata.

The LitE database already stores the required information to fix this oversight. It seems to be administrative resources they lack.

---

Both ‘Advanced Search’ and LitE’s general content presentation falls far short of better resourced catalogs from other on-demand digital providers like Netflix.

A word count (or page count) indication in the story lists would be nice, but my most wanted fix is to better separate the standalone stories from the series entries. Also, give us a selection in advanced search to limit results to either one type or the other. (Search lets you select ‘poetry’ or ‘stories’ but can't separate stories into series or standalone.)

It annoys me that most of the 'Top Lists' are full of chapters, when my own preference is to read standalone stories.

For example, see Sci-Fi & Fantasy. Currently, 43 of the Top 50 stories are chapters – only one is part one of its series. The top spot is “Pt. 44” of a series. That series, ‘The Tattooed Woman’ has 10 chapters listed in the Top 50, its earliest entry is chapter 30. And the ‘Lewd Ascent’ series takes another nine positions on the page.

Why give nineteen places on the ‘Top 50’ story list to just two stories? I expect they are both good reads but one entry each would be enough.

Only listing chapter one of any series would be better than the current method. You could average out the story’s votes across all chapters if you want. However, chapter stories score differently than standalone stories. A better option is to present separate ‘Top’ lists. (Just like Netflix lets you peruse ‘TV Shows’ or ‘Movies’ depending on what you want to watch at the time.)

My confusion is over how readers (those who even use them) would know to search for shorter stories using the tags you suggest. For example, there are likely hundreds of tags that i would never think of using when searching for a story. The content of the story is what I focus search tags on.

When I select a story from one of the lists rather than searching for it, I might review the tags entered for it, but to do that, I would already be able to see how many words it contained.
This is only for readers who prefer reading shorter stories, for a few mins and then move on to another.

Many like me, prefer shorter reads less than 2K or 3K.. at one one time. I'm having so much trouble finding such stories.

We can't fish out writers dashboards looking for shorter stories. So just finding an alternative temporarily, until Literotica comes up with a solution for that.

It's only for writers who are interested in doing so. Also whoever have such short stories, please share it here as well. A few of us would like to read them.

Thank you. 😊

I advise against creating unilateral methods for marking story length (other than using the ‘750 words’ tag). Wait for the site to fix its interface and use your ten story tags to represent story content, not metadata.

The LitE database already stores the required information to fix this oversight. It seems to be administrative resources they lack.

---

Both ‘Advanced Search’ and LitE’s general content presentation falls far short of better resourced catalogs from other on-demand digital providers like Netflix.

A word count (or page count) indication in the story lists would be nice, but my most wanted fix is to better separate the standalone stories from the series entries. Also, give us a selection in advanced search to limit results to either one type or the other. (Search lets you select ‘poetry’ or ‘stories’ but can't separate stories into series or standalone.)

It annoys me that most of the 'Top Lists' are full of chapters, when my own preference is to read standalone stories.

For example, see Sci-Fi & Fantasy. Currently, 43 of the Top 50 stories are chapters – only one is part one of its series. The top spot is “Pt. 44” of a series. That series, ‘The Tattooed Woman’ has 10 chapters listed in the Top 50, its earliest entry is chapter 30. And the ‘Lewd Ascent’ series takes another nine positions on the page.

Why give nineteen places on the ‘Top 50’ story list to just two stories? I expect they are both good reads but one entry each would be enough.

Only listing chapter one of any series would be better than the current method. You could average out the story’s votes across all chapters if you want. However, chapter stories score differently than standalone stories. A better option is to present separate ‘Top’ lists. (Just like Netflix lets you peruse ‘TV Shows’ or ‘Movies’ depending on what you want to watch at the time.)
Totally agree with all your observations.
We feel the same as well.

Hence this temporary solution, of finding shorter reads. It's only until Literotica comes up with a solution for this.

Until then just to make our search easier, who ever is interested we can add that tag.
Hope it helps us.

Back