Songs : W/ female names in the title

Maria~TKA (Great dance groove)
Sister Moon~Sting...(dont know if that counts or not!)
Lucille~BB King

Not to pick any nits, but "Hey Jude" was written by Paul for Julian Lennon, and therefore the titular Jude is actually a dude. And that even rhymes. Also, I think someone is mistaking "Take A Load Off, Annie" for "The Weight", which is by The Band, not the Marshall Tucker Band. But Id take that back if presented with hard evidence.

That said, a few tasty numbers:
"Maggie's Farm" and "Visions of Johanna" by Bob Dylan
"Suzanne" and "So Long, Marianne" by Leonard Cohen
and my absolute-ist favorite-ist song of all time is "Naima" by John Coltrane.

How about the most unusual female names in song titles? "Velouria" by the Pixies is a contender, I'd say. Beautiful name, though.

Tastytooter said:
Not to pick any nits, but "Hey Jude" was written by Paul for Julian Lennon, and therefore the titular Jude is actually a dude. And that even rhymes. Also, I think someone is mistaking "Take A Load Off, Annie" for "The Weight", which is by The Band, not the Marshall Tucker Band. But Id take that back if presented with hard evidence.

That said, a few tasty numbers:
"Maggie's Farm" and "Visions of Johanna" by Bob Dylan
"Suzanne" and "So Long, Marianne" by Leonard Cohen
and my absolute-ist favorite-ist song of all time is "Naima" by John Coltrane.

How about the most unusual female names in song titles? "Velouria" by the Pixies is a contender, I'd say. Beautiful name, though.
But wouldn't that make it Hey Jule? And you don't have to think about anything. Yes, when I looked it up, The Weight is actually the name of that song. What can I say?

nctoddmc said:
But wouldn't that make it Hey Jule? And you don't have to think about anything. Yes, when I looked it up, The Weight is actually the name of that song. What can I say?

Yeah, it definitely would, and in fact the tune began life as "Hey Jules." But somewhere along the line it changed, for the better I think, to "Jude." It would be tricky to pull off that -ess sound at the end of the first line with the way MaCa extends it and kind of bends the note a little...sing it in your head, it sounds awkward. "Jude" gives him the nice, blunt, hard ending consonant so when the note stretches out it isn't as unwieldy.

Julia - Our Lady Peace
Jessica - Doobie Brothers

and Black Betty is in fact by Ram Jam.....

scoot3816 said:
Julia - Our Lady Peace
Jessica - Doobie Brothers

and Black Betty is in fact by Ram Jam.....
Funny, I have a version by ZZ Top...

Back