StillStunned's collection of useful pointers for writers

Of course, we wrote on black, slate, blackboards with white chalk then, and the "DEL" key was a chalkboard eraser. Somebody had to "clap" the erasers to get the chalk dust out once in a while so we'd stand outside and clap away. You usually got a surprise the next time you blew your nose.
I had a few teachers who'd sling the eraser at anyone they caught talking or not paying attention. That got rid of the chalk dust just as effectively.

The "you and I" vs "you and me" confusion arises because English is on the fence when it comes to grammatical cases. It pretends it doesn't have them, as no one bats an eye if you say "who" where "whom" would be more appropriate.

But this is one instance where awareness of them makes the whole dilemma nonexistent, since it's just a matter of distinguishing nominative ("you and I") from accusative/dative/etc. ("you and me"). Absent this awareness, you have to talk about syntactic elements of a sentence (subject vs. object) which may not be as easy to identify in longer or incomplete phrases.

Back