Summer Television

Ever hear of Maurice Williams and the Diamonds? MG
It figures that, Little Darlin', would be your song. :) However, I think they recorded it as Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs.

Rumple "Real Old" Foreskin

ps edited type note: I was wrong about the group's name at the time they recorded "Little Darlin'. (so sue me).

After posting the original message, I found a web site. Williams wrote Little Darlin'. His group, then called, The Gladiolas (honest), turned it into a top 50 hit. Then a Canadian group called, The Diamonds "covered" the song. Their version reached number two on the charts in 1957.

So , as usual, we were both mainly right and just a little wrong. By the way, what do you think about Johnny Ace?

RF

Last edited:
Rumple Foreskin said:
It figures that, Little Darlin', would be your song. :) However, I think they recorded it as Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs.
ps edited type note: I was wrong about the group's name at the time they recorded "Little Darlin'. (so sue me).
After posting the original message, I found a web site. Williams wrote Little Darlin'. His group, then called, The Gladiolas (honest), turned it into a top 50 hit. Then a Canadian group called, The Diamonds "covered" the song. Their version reached number two on the charts in 1957. So , as usual, we were both mainly right and just a little wrong. By the way, what do you think about Johnny Ace?
Dear Rumple,
Ewwww, you know about "Little Darlin'".......
I have both the Gladiolas and the Diamonds versions. They're very similar, but I like the Diamonds better. I assume Maurice is the guy with the bass voice. I like the one who does "Lalalalaaaa lalaaaaaaaaa" in the falsetto.

I feel that Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D-minor and "Little Darlin'" are the two most sublime pieces of music ever performed.
Afraid I've never heard of J.Ace.
MG
Ps. I also love the Coasters
Pps. Owhoohah hoohah hoohah hoohah .......

Last edited:
Ps. I also love the Coasters. MG
Couldn't agree more, LD. IMHO, the Coasters, Up on the Roof, is one of the all time finest rock ballads ever. It's a shame the lead singer (can't remember his name) died shortly after the song was released.

You need to look up Johnny Ace. He was a black R&B ballad singer who I got turned onto by country singer/writer David Allen Coe. The biggest hit for Ace was "Pledging My Love" but it came after he lost big time at Russian Roulette. It's the song Coe did on his first greatest hits LP. Here are the first two verses.

"Forever my darling our love will be true
Always and forever I'll love only you
just promise me darling your love in return
May this fire in my soul dear forever burn

"My heart's at your command dear
To keep love and to hold
Making you happy is my desire dear
Keeping you is my goal"

If you read Stephen King, try to get an audio version of "Hearts of Atlantis." It's probably the best use of music I've ever heard in a recorded book. King does the reading and I believe he picked the music. Most of it is 50's stuff such as "Twilight Time."

I like your "mix & match". Mine would be Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D and anything by Irma Thomas or Tracy Nelson.

Do the best you know how.

Rumple Foreskin

Last edited:
Quasi, do you really like hockey on TV? I am an old school get-out-to-the-game sports fan in general and have a lot of qualms about the way TV treats sports. Yet as much as it bugs me to not be able to see a football play develop or any of the other "nuances" in any sport, hockey is by far the sport that loses the most in translation. Speed, sound etc. Hockey is massively better live!

I'm also one who does not watch the networks but enjoys cable.
Queer Eye, Sex and the City, History Channel, Discover...these are the only things I watch other than sports, news and the very occassional movie.

Belegon said:
Quasi, do you really like hockey on TV? . . . Hockey is massively better live!
I . . . enjoys cable. Queer Eye, Sex and the City, History Channel, Discover... and the very occasional movie.

About Hockey, I'm not referring to quality of submersion into the game. I'm referring to sitting about in a cold arena freezing my tits off. I mean the OHL not the NHL.

The occasional movie is what I usually watch.

Regular shows (hmm?) Air Farce, Made In Canada, and West Wing, but if you're not Canadian you probably won't get the first two, even if you can receive them.

Or for sheer stupidity, Red Green is kind of fun, but that may just be nostalgia. I've been watching Steve Smith since the days of "Smith & Smith."

Quasimodem said:
About Hockey, I'm not referring to quality of submersion into the game.
Dear Quaz and Bel,
I thought hockey was ... I was all like totally bummed, you know? Then I got druggen to a Sharks game. Tubularly awesome, Dude. Seeing a game live, you get all the speed, elbows, sticks in the eye, etc. that happen away from the puck. Way cool.
MG
Ps. Get a Job before the next Blue Moon
Pps. Our family's chief claim to fame: My Grampa knows JLLewis.
Woo woo woo

Rumple Foreskin said:
... the Coasters, Up on the Roof, is one of the all time finest rock ballads ever. ...

The biggest hit for Ace was "Pledging My Love" ...

I like your "mix & match". Mine would be Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D and anything by Erma Thomas or Tracey Nelson.
Old man, I am so right next to you. As I started to read the lyrics you quoted I heard all the music in my head.

Love the violin concerto, always go when it's played in concert. A fave rendition is Salerno-Sonnenberg's.

It won't matter if I give the piece names but for me there are snippets of measures from LvB, Brahms and JSB that I'd put up along those oldies you and MG named, plus Ronnie Spector's best.

mature regards, Perdita

bring on the duct tape

Quasimodem said:
Or for sheer stupidity, Red Green is kind of fun, but that may just be nostalgia. I've been watching Steve Smith since the days of "Smith & Smith."

I bought the boxed set for my husband. I have laughed until I cried watching them. Their sight gags are classic.

I think I also enjoy seeing men claim the behaviour that they deny to their wives all the time: not asking for directions when lost, not knowing how the hell to fix something but taking it apart anyway, buying tools that they have no need for, other than to fill "that spot" on the pegboard.

:rose: b

Living in denial...

Bridget:

I'll come clean to the tool thing, and maybe even the take it apart to see how it works bit. However, this is one male speaking out to say I'd much rather suck up the ego and ask directions. Better to be having a drink at the party and admitting to ALMOST getting lost then beating on the steering wheel in arrogant frustration!

Quasi, agree on the hockey arena thing. Down here in the US southwestern corner the cool air can be nice though. Plus I remember games in college in Dubuque, Iowa when it was much warmer in the arena than outside :D .

Rumple Foreskin said:
The biggest hit for Ace was "Pledging My Love" but it came after he lost big time at Russian Roulette.
Dear Rumple,
Couldn't he have tried for two out of three?
MG

MathGirl said:
Dear Rumple,
Couldn't he have tried for two out of three?
MG
I'll have to consult my beat up copy of Hoyle or maybe Jimmy Breslin's "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight" on that one. RF

Rumple Foreskin said:
I'll have to consult my beat up copy of Hoyle or maybe Jimmy Breslin's "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight" on that one. RF
Dear Rumple,
That was a very cool book. I like Breslin.
MG
Ps. Book alert:
I'm reading "The Wandering Hill" by Larry McMurtry. It's a sequel to "Sin Killer." They're set in the American plains in the 1830s. Rich, aristocratic Brits, Kit Carson, Jim Bridger, bloodthirsty indians, grizzly bears, Frenchies, eccentric artists, etc. Very interesting characters, life is short and harsh, lots of casual sex, some good comedy.

McMurtry's novels tend to be very good or not worth reading. This is very good. Both are recommended.
MG

I'm a McMurtry fan myself. I've been wanting to get up to Archer City TX, I'm in Dallas, to check out where they shot "Last Picture Show" and to nose around in his book stores. IMHO, "Wandering Hll" was better than "Sin Killer" but neither came close to his best work. McMurtry will admit his writing has changed since he had major heart surgery.

My all time favorite is still his second novel, "Leaving Cheyenne." It appeals to me on two levels. On one it's a love triangle (MFM) between best friends. She won't marry either one because it'd cut the other one out. It's also a story of the changing American west. In the first chapter, they ride on horses to vote. In the last chapter, they're all driving pick-ups.

Check it out.

RF

ps You may be a smart-ass mathmatician, but anybody who likes the Coasters and Larry McMurtry can't be all bad--no matter what Svenska and Perdita keep saying about you. :)

Last edited:
perdita said:
Love the violin concerto, always go when it's played in concert. A fave rendition is Salerno-Sonnenberg's.

It won't matter if I give the piece names but for me there are snippets of measures from LvB, Brahms and JSB that I'd put up along those oldies you and MG named, plus Ronnie Spector's best.

mature regards, Perdita
Hey, mature lady, clue me in about the Salerno-Sonnenberg rendition. I'll admit, I quit looking after hearing Hefitz but I'm open to suggestions-especially if they're suggestive.

As to Ronnie Spector, I've been in true, undying lust for her lo these many, many years. Phil Spector may be a jerk, but I do love his "Wall of Sound". Now that Ronnie's gotten her fair share of the profits, I can listen to his stuff w/o guilt.

RF

Rumple Foreskin said:
ps You may be a smart-ass mathmatician, but anybody who likes the Coasters and Larry McMurtry can't be all bad--no matter what Svenska and Perdita keep saying about you. :)
Dear Rumple,
I don't think McMurtry has ever written anything that comes close to "Lonesome Dove." The first paragraph is worthy of a Pullet Surprise.
MG
Yes, I know what they say about me. PMs tend not to be very P around here.

Rumple Foreskin said:
Hey, mature lady, clue me in about the Salerno-Sonnenberg rendition. ...

Rumply,

Nadja S-S is a maverick primo fiddle player. She's got the guts of a Callas in her playing; in fact her primary influence is opera. If you have the merest inkling of interest in musicians there is an excellent DVD doc. on her called "Speaking in Strings".

I'm happy for Ronnie too; loved what Phil-the-jerk did for Ike and Tina and others. "C'mon, Baby" sung by Ronnie has to be one of the most erotic bits in rock.

Perdita

Back