The Beauty of Getting Older

I'm surprised that as I've turned 60 I'm in better shape physically and mentally than my parents (and especially my grandparents) when they turned 60. I can still pretty much do the same things --- jog long distances, eat and drink as much as I want, stay up late --- as I used to. I'm not as mobile or quick as I once was, but I don't need to be. I haven't really slipped into what I used to perceive was old age thinking. Maybe a good part of it comes from something an older friend once told me, "I still see with the same eyes I had as a teenager." It kind of puts things into perspective.

That being said, I am a little troubled by the different way some younger age groups view those of us in the post 50's phase. I don't want to overgeneralize, but I've found that a number of Millennials are dismissive of the my generation, particularly in the work environment. It's a very different dynamic to what I believed when my parents' and grandparents' generation approached retirement. I remember respecting their status because of the wisdom they gained from work and life experience. Sure, I felt they were a little slow, but I still sought out their ideas as good lessons for future decisions. Now, however, it seems up and coming decision makers want to wipe the slate clean and be done with the the old paradigm. Hey, I believe change is good, but I also feel we can build on the strengths of what our seasoned colleagues can offer us. And trust me, I don't ever want to become a curmudgeon. I think of myself as a glass half full kind of person.

Am I overthinking this? I welcome other thoughts and/or critiques.

I agree, the older I get the more I don’t care what people think. I’m very secure in who I am and quite frankly, don’t give a fuck about other’s opinions. I’m also more set in mine and will argue the fact.
I also have a lot less patience for stupidity and stupid people!!
And in many ways I like sex more than when I was younger, feel hornier!
And I thought I was the only one who thought like that

By far the best thing that's happened to me in my dotage is a kind of sexual re-awakening that I, coincidentally, described in a post yesterday in AH. Although it involved heavily S&M fantasies, it also left me with an expanded enjoyment of vanilla sex. Specifically with an appreciation of male physicality that seems akin to the stereotypical appreciation of feminine physicality that we ascribe to men. Finally, I'm a slightly more centered person in general. It's all been a gift. This occurred when I was 76. I'm 80 now and going strong.

As for the rest of the good stuff, here are the contents of a file I began to keep some years ago, titled
The good side – stuff I finally figured out in my seventies.

- How to scramble eggs. (enough liquid for steam to fluff them, extra yolk, high then low heat after a spatula makes a path, ¼ t salt for every 4 eggs.)

- White sauce measurements – 1T, 1T and 1C.

- What causes leaves to curl on delphs (mites) and how to get rid them - insecticidal soap.

- Mark plants in Bloom Calendar.xls with green when the start is recorded and orange when it is done. So I know I’ve recorded it.

- Lemon butter sauce. Three T butter and 1 T (1/2 lemon) lemon juice.

- Cook broccoli and green beans in lots of water very short time, drain and then add lemon butter or butter OR lemon zest from zester introduced to me by Natasha.

- Alcohol causes insomnia.

- Always use the next Service Pack number for the active folder. Put PBLs and PBDs in EBF folders only for the release.

- Cook chard leaves for freezing. Dice the stems and cook them in the chard water as a base for veggie soup. Stems are put to use, but without annoying “leaves” in the soup.

- Massage kale for all sorts of salads.

- I figured out that I avoided apples because they were too big. Slice a piece off and put the remaining flat side on a saucer. Keep slicing to maintain a flat side. Cut a big piece to eat in wedges.

- You can keep cracks between deck pavers free of weeds by spraying them with a high power hose.

- 8/19 (75) – Caponata can be used on bruschetta. Now there’s a reason to make it.

- It helps to be sure my shoulder isn’t on the pillow.

- What it means to create “abodominal support” when playing the flute. It just means hold in your tummy to make it flat. Don’t involve the lungs.

- chaise longue is French for long chair, not lounge chair. (Learned this in Authors' Hangout)

Edit: I just thought of something I need to add to this list.
Leg strength and stamina is better than I can remember. I attribute this to going up and down stairs a lot because hubby has bad arthritis in his knees. Can go up stairs, but coming down is real trying.

Last edited:
I'm not that much of a geezer, but knowing remaining time is finite and not wasting it on stoopid hoomans (as my dog would say) that just don't matter.

I'm surprised that as I've turned 60 I'm in better shape physically and mentally than my parents (and especially my grandparents) when they turned 60. I can still pretty much do the same things --- jog long distances, eat and drink as much as I want, stay up late --- as I used to. I'm not as mobile or quick as I once was, but I don't need to be. I haven't really slipped into what I used to perceive was old age thinking. Maybe a good part of it comes from something an older friend once told me, "I still see with the same eyes I had as a teenager." It kind of puts things into perspective.

That being said, I am a little troubled by the different way some younger age groups view those of us in the post 50's phase. I don't want to overgeneralize, but I've found that a number of Millennials are dismissive of the my generation, particularly in the work environment. It's a very different dynamic to what I believed when my parents' and grandparents' generation approached retirement. I remember respecting their status because of the wisdom they gained from work and life experience. Sure, I felt they were a little slow, but I still sought out their ideas as good lessons for future decisions. Now, however, it seems up and coming decision makers want to wipe the slate clean and be done with the the old paradigm. Hey, I believe change is good, but I also feel we can build on the strengths of what our seasoned colleagues can offer us. And trust me, I don't ever want to become a curmudgeon. I think of myself as a glass half full kind of person.

Am I overthinking this? I welcome other thoughts and/or critiques.
I am a Baby Boomer who spent 30 years working in software development with people who could have been my children and grandchildren. I was a mentor and teacher to many and I don't recall any of them dismissing me. I don't like the Baby Boomers because I think they are selfish but I like the Millennials and Gen Z.

I think part of the beauty of getting older is really seeing the beauty of people both inside and outside.

It’s interesting to see the responses here. Sounds like we have some common experiences. I’m 58 and have never felt more confident, centered, and in control of my life. My wife is amazing and our sex life has never been better. We are more open to experimentation and I’m hornier and getting laid more than I did 10 years ago. I hope that I can make the same statement 10 years from now.

Back