The Creeps

Colleen Thomas said:

I wonder if it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt or if you can inundate yourself with a certain brand of scary until nothing in that stripe bother's you anymore?

-Colly

Familiarity's part of it, of course. Also, people like to push the limits. Even during the so-called "sexual revolution" in the sixties, Rob and Laura Petrie slept in separate beds. By the nineties, we were treated to shots of Dennis Franz's ass and got to hear him call people "asshole."

Colleen Thomas said:
Now I read it with a kind of detached amusement at how nebulous he keeps the evil.
Colly, I just have to say that's a very nice phrase, 'how nebulous he keeps the evil'. It's mellifluous too. I love the word 'nebulous' and you've set it well. It's a pleasure of the text for me.

regards, Perdita

Oh, and I forgot George Romero's Night of the Living Dead. Man, that was scary when they were all cooped up in that house fighting off the dead people. I'll never forget that opening scene when the woman and her brother were in the graveyard; later her brother is one of the dead guys trying to get into the house. And then the black guy was the only one left at the end and he's mistaken for a dead guy and gets shot.

Re: Re: For me books

To me the best kind of horror--the champagne of horror--is the kind of thing that changes your view of the world, where you suddenly see horror where you didn't before. It's not jump-out-of-your-seat fright like you get with 'startle' stuff, but it's more subtle and insidious. The scene from the Haunting was like that. The walls were alive; the house was alive, it was breathing. It was something beyond imagining. Very good.

I couldn't agree more.

Now, don't get me wrong...sometimes I enjoy the startle type of horror, but only a few times a year around Halloween time.

I really liked the movie "Frailty"....that was really a head trip in places, and I enjoyed the plot twist in the end.

I am a real sucker for a good Ghost story. There is this older movie (I think 1970 something) called "The Changeling" that really creeps me out. I think that movie is the pinacle of ghost horror for me.

Another two I like...strangely enough.... are "Watcher in the Woods" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes"....both of which are kids movies. But, I think that makes the horror a little less "startle" and a little more cerebral.

As far as "The Haunting" I didn't really care for either movies but really enjoyed the original Shirley Jackson book (The Haunting of Hill House). Kept me up nights.

As for other written media....

I enjoy EA Poe (....ohhhh... the Cask of Amontillado....The Masque of the Red Death....), HP Lovecraft and a lot of the older horror writers.

~WOK

Michael Jackson in the new "Scary Movie" under the sheet and says, "Have you gone mad? I am your daughter.." Shit cracked me up.

I sure if I saw Michael Jackson at night, I would scream like a girl. LOL

Back