The Official Authors' Hangout Summer Lovin' 2024 Contest Support Thread

Damn, I've opted to be a total Contest & Challenge whore this year, and it's a bit exhausting...
I had a fantasy I wanted to write down, but saw 750 words contest and decided it’s a perfect opportunity to finally register and try out the ropes before writing what I wanted.

3 contests and 2 challenges later I’m still nowhere near to writing my original fantasy (that doesn’t even seem that appealing anymore), but at least I had lots of fun :)

Here's what you do:

Use the long doldrum period between Holidays and Valentines and write your Summer Lovin' story in December/January. That way, you're not wasting the winter and the short refractory period between Nude Day and Summer Lovin' isn't an issue.

It also frees up June/July. See, right now I'm writing my Halloween story. It's all about time management!

And, again, if the muse keeps her damn mouth shut and fails to give you a plot for any of these stories? It's fine to stay out of them and come around next year. Or? Just sit on homeless stories that you wanted to write. I've got an SF piece for the Xanadu Ring anthology that's waited patiently for about eight months now; there was another event, suggested a couple years ago by @ChloeTzang involving tales set in the Far East during the 1910-1940 era, that I wrote an excellent story for. It's waiting patiently, too.

Maybe someday she'll kick off the event, and I'm already ready for it.
You're not alone waiting on the Xanadu Ring. I think that got pushed back another year.
Started my Winter Holiday story yesterday but it's caught in a stack of stories that need attention

Hey, dumb question I should probably know the answer to at this point, but we can submit stories early as long as we have Summer Lovin 2024 in the Notes section like usual, right? I had a second idea for Nude Day that just never materialized but I think I have the time now to write it and it'll slot fine as a summer story instead.

Hey, dumb question I should probably know the answer to at this point, but we can submit stories early as long as we have Summer Lovin 2024 in the Notes section like usual, right? I had a second idea for Nude Day that just never materialized but I think I have the time now to write it and it'll slot fine as a summer story instead.
Yes. Just make sure you add SUMMER LOVIN 2024 in the Notes to Admin field so that moderators know to delay the publication.

So do we not submit stories for publication until the official start date or is that just when voting starts?

Edit: Never mind, just saw the above post.

I hate to be that guy, but the title of thread reads "2023" and I'm dumb enough to be confused...

I have a story I started last year but never finished. Time to dust it off and complete it as I think it'll be a good fit for the contest.

I'm so sorry I corrected that tiny thing, me making huge mistakes!
I will try to make it up to you by posting a (humble and error-ridden) contribution...

I'm so sorry I corrected that tiny thing, me making huge mistakes!
I will try to make it up to you by posting a (humble and error-ridden) contribution...
No you did good, I was being silly
I lived for a long time with American-Norwegians and that's exactly how they would bring it to my attention:
"If a fellow were to pay attention when he was typing..." polite but cutting. It's refreshing
I don't get any extra points for using Uff da correctly?

THank you for the backhanded correction
I had better get used to it, I'm going to be surrounded by Norwegians in September...
Uff da
Hopefully the Norwegians surrounding you will be surrounded by the beauty of Norway!

You might enjoy my upcoming Ogg Memorial story, which includes Norwegians and Bombers, as I trade fairies for Faireys.

Hopefully the Norwegians surrounding you will be surrounded by the beauty of Norway!
No. we'll be surrounded by the baren prairies of North Dakota. I'll be at the Norsk Hostfest, a huge convention for the nordic folks. My son and I are going for the lutefisk and the Garrison Keillor show.

Here's what you do:

Use the long doldrum period between Holidays and Valentines and write your Summer Lovin' story in December/January. That way, you're not wasting the winter and the short refractory period between Nude Day and Summer Lovin' isn't an issue.

It also frees up June/July. See, right now I'm writing my Halloween story. It's all about time management!

And, again, if the muse keeps her damn mouth shut and fails to give you a plot for any of these stories? It's fine to stay out of them and come around next year. Or? Just sit on homeless stories that you wanted to write. I've got an SF piece for the Xanadu Ring anthology that's waited patiently for about eight months now; there was another event, suggested a couple years ago by @ChloeTzang involving tales set in the Far East during the 1910-1940 era, that I wrote an excellent story for. It's waiting patiently, too.

Maybe someday she'll kick off the event, and I'm already ready for it.
I am doing all the author organized challenges too, so the refractory periods are very, very short. But you know what they say...no rest for the (very, very) wicked...👿... I've hit all the comps and challenges so far, and I'm having a lot of fun doing it, so to speak...😉

Have a story idea that I'm currently working on.

Anyone know if there's a minimum/max word count for entries?

Ready to go . . . Sitting at just over 56k words (my longest yet), Sex on the Beach is a tale of three friends, their annual escape to the sun, and what happens one year when three become four.

I should be finishing this tonight while I've got the time. Instead, I'm writing down an idea I had yesterday. This is why I have 7 unfinished stories and nothing published since October.

Back