The Royal Family

Ho hum.

Did you know that the Civil List was an agreement between the Royal Family and the Government?

The amount paid to the Royal Family is much less than the amount paid by the Crown Estates to the Government.

We don't pay for them. They pay for us.

Even Prince Charles' Duchy of Cornwall pays the Government.

Sounds like a bargain to me.

The minor royals' allowances for their public duties are close to the salary paid to a supermarket department manager - hardly riches.

Og

Thank you for the info, Ogg; so why don't they publicize it? Or are they being British? ;)

Perdita

Public discussion of the Royal's finances has been a taboo subject. The extent of the Crown Estates and how much they contribute to the Chancellor of the Exchequer is not hidden but is not publicised.

My local seaside town recently found that half its beaches are owned by the Crown Estates. The other half is owned by the Church of England who owned all of them until Henry VIII took half away. We peasants are graciously allowed to use the beaches but any flotsam or jetsam we find belongs to the Crown - even on the Church's beaches.

Og

If all the legends and fictional accounts are taken into account, the law that all flotsam and jetsam belongs to the Crown must be more honored in the breach. I mean, think of all the stories of wreckers and salvagers that have been told all these years. In the realm of literature, Daphne Du Maurier's Jamaica Inn, and a kid's novel I liked when I was coming up, Marty and the Mooncusser, come to mind. There's probably other things I haven't read.

Back