Thought versus narration in the narrative

on the subject of double / single inverted commas as speech marks - We use double inverted commas around speach.

However it does appear that publishers / printers appear to be inventing their own rules. Headline paperbacks and their imprints are now using single inverted commas around speech.

Once again it would appear that style is being dictated by the printers. -

I guess some accountant has worked out the annual saving on ink if they opt for singles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YUK My Oxford Manual of Style uses single qm's - In the text says

"In dialogue, each speaker's words are set ordinarily within (single or double) quotation marks. In some styles of writing - particularly fiction -opening quotation marks are replaced with em rules and closing quotation marks are omitted (as is done in French); in other styles, marks of quotation are dispensed with all together, the change in syntax being presumed sufficient to indicate the shift between direct speech and interpolations."

NOW I WISH I'D NEVER BOUGHT THE BOOK - what a load of dumbed down bullshit.

From now on I shall try to follow US style rules - anyone want to purchace a brand new copy of the OMoS.

:confused:

:mad:

jon:devil:

KM -

Quoting thoughts from characters should be used very sparingly. Most of the time prose description and narrative action would do a much better job of showing the thoughts behind the face.

But, sometimes quoting what a character is thinking sometimes will be more descriptive of the character's personality than describing the look on their face.

This is not always true. Often, the opposite is better.

If in doubt, I would write both and see what the two versions of the same moment bring to the character and story.

Ex1: (with thought)

"Hey, Parker! What the hell are you doing in Bernice's bedroom this time of night?"

Oh, fuck, who's that? Slowly, I turned around away from the open lingerie drawer to see Bernice's younger brother, Tom, drunk to high heaven.

Ex2: (without thought)

"Hey, Parker! What the hell are you doing in Bernice's room this time of night?"

My eyes grew wide, trying to see in the dark. I froze. Bernice's panties in my hands. I stopped breathing, gently dropped the panties in the open lingerie drawer and turned around. It was Bernice's younger brother Tom, drunk as a skunk.

In this case, I like the first one. It gets to the point of the character very quickly. Although, if the story had proceeded up until now with little or no thoughts helping the narrative from this character, I find it unlikely that I'd use it now.

So, one of the prerequisites is to use thought consistently throughout the story, not just as a one-off.

Use it, but not too much.

;)
- Judo

Octavian said:
Originally posted by Madame Manga.

"The British usage is single quotes for dialog and double quotes for other things, which is opposite from American usage."

This is not the case. We use double quotes for dialogue.

You are right, though, when you say we are separated by a common language.

I think I must be of a generation previous to yours; the British are being corrupted by colonial ways. ;-) Look at some older books by British writers. For instance, my 1970s editions of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien all use the single-quote dialog convention.

Here are some gleanings from a quick Google search on "single quotes british usage":

http://www.castlecommunications.com/punct.html

The British standard for primary and secondary quotes is opposite of the U.S. standard. If you're an avid reader, you've probably seen quotes handled both ways.

U.S. usage calls for placing primary quotes in double quotation marks and secondary quotes in single.

For instance, examine this quote from Hilaire Belloc: "When I am dead, I hope it may be said: 'His sins were scarlet, but his books were read.' "

The primary quote (in double quotation marks) begins with "When I am dead," and the secondary quote (in single quotation marks) begins with 'His sins were scarlet.'

British usage calls for the exact opposite: 'When I am dead, I hope it may be said: "His sins were scarlet, but his books were read." '

And another:

http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/local/doc/punctuation/node30.html
As a general rule, British usage has in the past usually preferred single quotes for ordinary use, but double quotes are now increasingly common; American usage has always preferred double quotes.

MM

Damn I knew that my parents sent me to a second rate private school - trust them to get it wrong.

I am unobservant just checked in some old Penguin editions - a collection of Graham Greene an lo and behold it is single quotations!

Still I intend to continue using double quotation marks for primary quotations and singles for secondary. Personal preference on my part. But then, when I am writing for publication on the web I have also taken to using the U.S. spell checker - a move that has offended some of my friends and readers.

jon :devil:

jon.hayworth said:
... I have also taken to using the U.S. spell checker - a move that has offended some of my friends and readers... jon :devil:

Try switching to a Canadian-English spell checker, and you'll get all of them pissed off.

"I tell you, it's a 'Zed'!"

I have just looked at my collection of Charles Dickens. My father acquired them in the early fifties. The publisher was Odhams Press in London.
Direct speech is in double quotation marks.
BUT
In the preface to Nicholas Nickleby, reference is made to the original preface and the original is quoted at some length.
These extracts are also in double quotation marks.

Single quotation marks are used where one would expect them to be used, eg where a character is speaking about a conversation he had with someone else

jon.hayworth said:
But then, when I am writing for publication on the web I have also taken to using the U.S. spell checker - a move that has offended some of my friends and readers.

jon :devil:

hell, can i help it if i like U?

rofl

traitor!!!

;)

Back