TV Guide's 50 greatest cartoon characters

there are two voltron series:

one with the five lions, one with about 20 vehcles that make up voltron. the only thing in common is the big robot.

Ask For More said:

Try watching four or five episodes. I've never met a person, young or old that doesn't like the Simpsons. You really are missing out!
"the lamp is running away" grandpa simpson ROCKS

A cartoon I would have liked to have seen on the list is the recent Silver Surfer series. It was on TV a couple of years ago and was actually a very well written, thoughtful, and engrossing cartoon. Maybe a bit too heady for mass audiences. I never missed an episode and it's a shame they cancelled it.

No one else I know even saw it. Anybody here remember it?

Smurfs.. the freekin Smurfs got put down to 59??

Are they trying to say Clerks was a better cartoon? There is no way in hell you can convince me that Voltron at 30 is better.

And Darkwing Duck.. where the hell is he on either list? A superhero cartoon that had a huge ego was a first, and the fact he was a single father was and still is pretty cutting edge. IMO

Jedi_Outcast said:
the kid with the overactive imagination was ralph phillips. gerald mcboing boing was the kid that spoke in sound effects (I believe)

Right you are. I stand corrected.

SilverVeil said:
The 100 Greatest Toons EVER! - ( according to Wizard Magazine Issue 121 )

This is apples and oranges with respect to TV guide's list of best toon characters. There are a lot of series listed here that didn't produce any really memorable characters although the series were outstanding.

Except for "JEM," neither list gives any clue as to why an entry was chosen, although I'm sure that this week's issue of TV guide explains each item on their list.

Sailor Moon, should be on both lists IMHO, because it was the first Anime series to become popular in the US, and the lead character was the first really popular female role model in cartoons. It's sad that TV Guide didn't take the chance to recognise the characters that lead the way for changes in what makes animation great.

Re: Re: TV Guide's 50 greatest cartoon characters

lilminx said:

I agree with you about Brak- I love him! Space Ghost Coast to Coast is a great show.

I think Wakko, Yakko, and Dot from the Animaniacs should be somehwere on there as well.

There was an episode of Coast to Coast where Brak went off singing about 'the water.' I don't think I got a thing out of the song...don't think you were supposed to, but it left me in tears.

And what of Cheetara? She was a mecha hottie. Me to the Ow.

Cheetarah was a hottie!

Another way underrated toon was Earthworm Jim. I though that was hilarious.

Cartman, Gumby and Betty Boop are my picks.
He-Man was cheesy and catered to young boys who were latently homosexual.
Mickey Mouse is too corporate. Smurfs are too one-dimensional.
Rugrats are too juvenile, same with TMNJ.

In my opinion, the greatest cartoon character of ALL TIME is, without a doubt, Bugs Bunny. He's fiftysomething years old, and still popular. Mickey Mouse is still around, but nobody shows his cartoons anymore, except Disney real late at night.

The greatest cartoon series... that's a tough one. It depends on what exactly you're basing the decision on; animation, writing, comedy value (yes, I am aware not all cartoons are comedies), voice acting and lip synching quality, how long it was produced, etc.. Each one of these categories would have a different winner.

Another small point I'd like to make: Sailor Moon, while excellently animated (usually), and well written (most of the time), was, in fact, not the first anime to gain acceptance in the US. I remember watching some fairy-tale anime series on Nickelodeon when I was a kid, plus there was Voltron and Robotech, both of which were shown in America before the Sailor Moon mangas were written.

Also, I hated the Smurfs even when I was young enough to give a damn about them. Gargamel was okay, because he was always trying to destory the freaky little blue bastards, but he never succeeded because he was a moron.

Jedi_Outcast said:
mickey mouse, yeah right. He shoudn't even be on the list. Disney really missed the boat on that one. Anybody my age (early 30's) will remember the bugs bunny/roadrunner show on CBS. I never, ever saw a disney cartoon on TV until my senior year in high school ('87) and that was the gummi bears. Even though I have toon disney I'm hard pressed to catch a mickey or other disney short. they just aren't showing them.

my personal favorites (in no order) :
Dragonball (the young goku is great. read the magna, the guy who wrote it is seriously perverted)

spongebob (love the mermaidman and barnacleboy episodes)

angry beavers (alright son, find the poo spot!)

baby blues (my wife loves it)

south park, the early years. (why is it that everything is going into can coming out of my ASS)

harvey birdman, attorney at law (the showu weenie lines are priceless)

Pokemon is a guilty pleasure for me, so is josie and the pussycats. my wife thinks i'm sick because I'd leave her for josie :D

animaniacs/pinky and the brain, some of the best satire I have ever seen.

not US cartoons but Cowboy Beebop. the best writing and characters ever in a cartoon. period. The japanese do know thier toons.

gee, do you think this is a passion of mine or what?
;)

We have almost the same taste. Cowboy Beebop is GREAT!!
What about Sealab?

Back