Two Poems

I've been on this forum for about a year, I've never crossed words with anyone before Jawa. I have no history of causing arguments at all. Why would I suddenly want to attack him, a bloke I don't even know or have never come across before?

My opinion of him has now been cast.

Been Here Done That! :)

bogusbrig said:
AND I WAS REFERING TO THE POEMS AND NOT THE POETS.

My words -

'I'd like to know the exact reasons why you are so categorical about one poem being better than the other. You say it with such certainty that you have led me to believe you have concrete unarguable reasons for such an unequivocal statement.'

IS THAT ANY CLEARER FOR YOU ASSHOLE?

NEXT TIME YOU READ BEFORE YOU GO OFF INSULTING PEOPLE

JERK!​
Bogus, when I first came to Literotica and encountered Senna Jawa, I felt and reacted much like you do and have. I was so sure he was FULL OF CRAP that I set to read all of his poems that I could find; intending to show him up for the talentless phony he was. In the process of the reading I found I was learning a lot, and I never completed my mission. Perhaps you will succeed where I failed. If you would like to try, you can start here:

Senna brooks no fools and his style of commentary is even more brusque and uncomplimentary than mine. He is definitely an acquired taste, but we would be far worse off without him.

I've been reading his poetry and while its not bad it is nowhere near as good as the height of the pedastal he puts himself on.

I'm too angry for this at the moment.

Angeline said:
The Wu Su poem IS truer and not prettied up with "poetic-ness," although in Arnold's defense part of that comes from his place and culture. He was the product of a time and place, which influenced the way he wrote,...
Yes, I remember. Somehow, the Chinese and the Skalds, and the folk poetry got to the very root of poetry, while most of the rest of the literary world, including Arnold's environment, got wrong ideas. However, you write also:

...just as Su was of his. Each of their poems is emblematic of their respective cultures.
Maybe you are right about Su Wu and his time but I rather doubt it. I think that Su Wu was ahead of his time. Chinese needed time to develop their aesthetics and philosophy, it was not always like this. They peaked perhaps in the 8th century, about 800 years after Su Wu. They had marvelous poems earlier too, as the one by Su Wu, but those poems were the ones that have contributed to the progress rather than the ones which simply have represented the poetry level of their times. I am sure that they had some folk art on the highest level, quality wise, but the Chinese too had many poor texts. After centuries we are exposed only to the best texts hence we may get a wrong idea about the times in general, if we are not careful. Let me repeat that I am not sure. Possibly Chinese were mature poetically already around 100BC.

Certainly at one time Chinese already understood what is a good poetry and what is not, while today this understanding is missing in general but for a fractional version as represented by Ezra Pound views. Variations of the Ezra Pound rules/advices are taught today in the States at colleges. The problem is that where Pound and the college instructors have but some pragmatic suggestions (a lot), Chinese had a whole view on the man and universe, a whole philosophical system. They didn't pass their knowledge to the world because of their style. Greeks would make an explicit, general theory, while Chinese style is to explain by generic examples (it is the way of poetry too). That works very well when you are a part of the environment, but it does not work that well when you are distant from the teachers.

The case of Skalds is very interesting too, extremely so.

And your explanation doesn't make me like Dover Beach any less.
:)
I don't think I like it because I'm trying to be an intellectual or cultured--for me, the language evokes a very clear image that I can project myself into though it does seem unnecessarily cluttered compared to your example.
But it's worse than that. Let me get some sleep and then I will write more about the Matthew Arnold's poem (you guys are sooo lazy! :)).

PS I'm not a moderator here anymore so I can't offer uncorrupted threads. I thought you were going to put this information on a website elsewhere.
You are right. And the final :))) version should appear on a separate page. However, despite of the impression from this forum, I am a social creature, thriving on the interaction. Also, on one hand I'd like to put down in writing what I have (I feel that it would be a pity to let it go to waste), while on the other hand somehow it's hard for me to actually do it. A friend of mine has directed me to a good server, where I already have started (just barely) to put mathematics:
I am thinking about opening another page there, at 50webs, for poetry, called "PoeBit". We will see.

Senna Jawa said:
My problem with this forum was always that it is so humorless. Your idea of humor is to attach the smiley emoticon :), and that's where the humor here ends.
Only for the unperceptive. I'm laughing my ass off right now.

Granted, the humor is mostly of the impromptu gonzo variety, not everyone's cuppa, I guess.

Last edited:
Senna Jawa said:
My problem with this forum was always that it is so humorless. Your idea of humor is to attach the smiley emoticon :), and that's where the humor here ends.

No. Your idea of humour is being a smug bastard at the expense of someone you consider below you.

Well you are not that fucking good, just read your own poetry.

Senna Jawa said:
Yes, I remember. Somehow, the Chinese and the Skalds, and the folk poetry got to the very root of poetry, while most of the rest of the literary world, including Arnold's environment, got wrong ideas. However, you write also:

Maybe you are right about Su Wu and his time but I rather doubt it. I think that Su Wu was ahead of his time. Chinese needed time to develop their aesthetics and philosophy, it was not always like this. They peaked perhaps in the 8th century, about 800 years after Su Wu. They had marvelous poems earlier too, as the one by Su Wu, but those poems were the ones that have contributed to the progress rather than the ones which simply have represented the poetry level of their times. I am sure that they had some folk art on the highest level, quality wise, but the Chinese too had many poor texts. After centuries we are exposed only to the best texts hence we may get a wrong idea about the times in general, if we are not careful. Let me repeat that I am not sure. Possibly Chinese were mature poetically already around 100BC.

Certainly at one time Chinese already understood what is a good poetry and what is not, while today this understanding is missing in general but for a fractional version as represented by Ezra Pound views. Variations of the Ezra Pound rules/advices are taught today in the States at colleges. The problem is that where Pound and the college instructors have but some pragmatic suggestions (a lot), Chinese had a whole view on the man and universe, a whole philosophical system. They didn't pass their knowledge to the world because of their style. Greeks would make an explicit, general theory, while Chinese style is to explain by generic examples (it is the way of poetry too). That works very well when you are a part of the environment, but it does not work that well when you are distant from the teachers.

The case of Skalds is very interesting too, extremely so.

:)But it's worse than that. Let me get some sleep and then I will write more about the Matthew Arnold's poem (you guys are sooo lazy! :)).

You are right. And the final :))) version should appear on a separate page. However, despite of the impression from this forum, I am a social creature, thriving on the interaction. Also, on one hand I'd like to put down in writing what I have (I feel that it would be a pity to let it go to waste), while on the other hand somehow it's hard for me to actually do it. A friend of mine has directed me to a good server, where I already have started (just barely) to put mathematics:
I am thinking about opening another page there, at 50webs, for poetry, called "PoeBit". We will see.

Thanks Senna. I have to go to work in a while, but I'll look for your explanation later. :)

I think a lot about poetry and culture because different cultures have such distinctive features one can associate with the poems they produce. It's fascinating to me to consider the impact of history and geography on the way cultures' literatures evolve. Your comments get to the heart of what influence--for good or ill--the earlier (and/or geographically distant) ones had on later ones. Your suggestion that they did and that this happened across cultures and that the later writers misinterpreted their predecessors which, in turn, led poetry more and more astray from some ideal, offers a perspective I've never considered.

I do understand your point about Chinese style. I find it harder to practice the Chinese poetic forms than any other, and I think you are right that it's difficult to follow the examples because they have so little relevence (or maybe reference is a better way to put it) for someone from 21st century America.

I wonder what Zhuk and jthserra, who both write a lot of haiku and other Asian forms, think about this.

I'm glad you're a social creature. You always get me thinking. :)

bogusbrig said:
I've been reading his poetry and while its not bad it is nowhere near as good as the height of the pedastal he puts himself on.

I'm too angry for this at the moment.

I agree with Rybka. (That's twice in as many days, fishy.) :rose:

Senna has very specific ideas about poetry and he is very assertive in um asserting them. (How's that for diplomatic, Senna? :D ) His poetry is marvelous, in my opinion, and whether one agrees with him wholeheartedly or not, he's quite the teacher. I've learned so much from him.

He also has a very dry sense of humor and often is joking or being ironic in his comments.

And I thought you were a mean cynic at first, but then I discovered you're a sweety and more than a little of a romantic--yes, I'm outing you and I won't take it back either.

Don't be angry. Keep reading. He grows on you. :)

This is my favorite poem of his:

the cities of the city

flyguy69 said:
Oh my gosh. I, too, have found him curmudgeonly, but this...
is an amazing poem!
One doesn't exclude the other.

Liar said:
One doesn't exclude the other.

Yup. And his curmudgeonliness (is that a word?) doesn't affect my ability to respect him for his intelligence and ability or to learn from him.

I don't think we're humorless, but I also think he can be very very funny.

Anyway, if I couldn't deal with disagreements I'd never have lasted four weeks here, let alone four years. ;)

Angeline said:
And I thought you were a mean cynic at first, but then I discovered you're a sweety and more than a little of a romantic--yes, I'm outing you and I won't take it back either.

Don't be angry. Keep reading. He grows on you. :)

This is my favorite poem of his:

the cities of the city

I've calmed down somewhat now but the reason for my initial question is because he was stating opinion as fact and alluded to the fact he had concrete evidence to back up his opinions. I was interested to see this evidence, poetry not being a hard science and all.

He compared a translated poem from BC from an entirely different culture with an entirely different written form to a poem written in the original language from a few hundred years ago. I just wanted to know on what he based these concrete opinions of his. On nothing as far as I can see.

Having had recent experience of translating poetry (not translating it myself I add) but having first hand discussions and negotiations about it and being fluent in both languages I have realised how important the translator is and now I question everything that is translated. From that experience I have realised you just can't compare.

One assumes that his criteria are based on some foundation of the human experience but even this is subjective. I have took note he has remained aloof and not offered anything to back up his belief in what is good or bad poetry.

I think you are positively sweet too. :rose: Ever the peace maker. :kiss:

I'll come back to his poetry when I have really calmed down.

Angeline said:
Yup. And his curmudgeonliness (is that a word?) doesn't affect my ability to respect him for his intelligence and ability or to learn from him.

I don't think we're humorless, but I also think he can be very very funny.

Anyway, if I couldn't deal with disagreements I'd never have lasted four weeks here, let alone four years. ;)
Amen to that. :cool:

Can't say I've learned much from reading Senna's posts. I have no doubt he knows what he's talking about mos tof the time, but we´re just not compatible communication-wise. Same reason I can't take a gangsta rapper seriously - not a sliver of doubt about anything. But his poetry is very good, and educational in itself to read. I let that speak for itself these days.

That's my key to anything these days. Take the good parts, and see the bad parts for what they are. If someone else has an attitude problem, don't make it yours. I keep making that mistake now and then. But less and less. And for that, I'm a happier man. :)

flyguy69 said:
Like this has ever bothered you before! :D

you're right. especially not in poems.

one of the joys of living with eagleyez is that he's the same way. and we understand each other's bizarro references. sometimes i think others overhear us and think "what language are those two speaking?"

:D

And to be true to this thread, I spun the spinner and found this poem by Bill Dada.

He Fell Through a Crack in a Fingerprint

Liar said:
That's my key to anything these days. Take the good parts, and see the bad parts for what they are. If someone else has an attitude problem, don't make it yours. I keep making that mistake now and then. But less and less. And for that, I'm a happier man. :)
I think you should publish a collection of your wisdom. A pocket-sized tome in dark leather cover called The Book of Lies.

I'd buy it!

Liar said:

Can't say I've learned much from reading Senna's posts. I have no doubt he knows what he's talking about mos tof the time, but we´re just not compatible communication-wise. Same reason I can't take a gangsta rapper seriously - not a sliver of doubt about anything. But his poetry is very good, and educational in itself to read. I let that speak for itself these days.

That's my philosophy, too. I try to live it and most days I can. And yes, some days it's quite a struggle to maintain it. And I'm a happier ma...woman for it myself. :D

:rose:

Angeline said:
That's my philosophy, too. I try to live it and most days I can. And yes, some days it's quite a struggle to maintain it. And I'm a happier ma...woman for it myself. :D

:rose:
Oops. Don't worry, Angello, your secret's safe with us.

Liar said:

amen...

Is it a great poet when the poems are not understandable? Seems that those that are coined as good poets write poems that very few understand, is that how you become a great poet? seems as though everytime I see a senna post he is argueing with some one. I am learning that the intellectuals here like to argue.

now lets get back to spinning <grin

My Erotic Trail said:
Is it a great poet when the poems are not understandable? Seems that those that are coined as good poets write poems that very few understand, is that how you become a great poet?
Where'd that come from now? Not understandable to whom, and in what context? Obviously, poets and poems are understandable to those calling them good. No poet is magically "coined" good by some objective jury, but by people who read, understand and like their work. You are free to call anyone you want a good poet, to your standards and tastes. Buy don't try to impose your opinion of what's good as if it is a standard, or else you're just as elitistic as the intellectuals, whoever they are.

All right, whatever, a spin then ...<hits spinner> ... hey, I remember this one.

Bobbie by minsue

Not really lacking comments but deserves a read, if you haven't.

tarablackwood22 said:
The old and smart ones linger
in the freshly lit night,
not in a hurry to enter,
having been in the battle of voices
far too long, knowing that the night
will stretch and end only
when some new voice rises
in ecstasy, only
when some arrogant youth
comes running, screaming about sin,
begging the indifferent
for a hand, for a touch,
for a kiss, for help,
for forgiveness for being young
and untouched by grace.
What do the young know
about some corpulent theologian
sitting under his lamp,
his clammy face wet,
his stomach trying to give up
the taste of a moderate wine,
kissing God away with a labored
toss of his pen?

To be young is a blessing
untouched with gray twilight
the domain that lingers
tottering toward the sun
age knows more of nothing
closer to toddlers reaching
their unsure fingers to a last
grasp of hope closer to earth
than heaven more myth
and memory than certainty
swallowed and digested far
too long ago to be sure
of anything but a promise
of silence and blank pages.

Liar said:
Where'd that come from now? Not understandable to whom, and in what context? Obviously, poets and poems are understandable to those calling them good. No poet is magically "coined" good by some objective jury, but by people who read, understand and like their work. You are free to call anyone you want a good poet, to your standards and tastes. Buy don't try to impose your opinion of what's good as if it is a standard, or else you're just as elitistic as the intellectuals, whoever they are.

All right, whatever, a spin then ...<hits spinner> ... hey, I remember this one.

Bobbie by minsue

Not really lacking comments but deserves a read, if you haven't.

AWWW YES, 'Liar" an explanation of my meaning may clear this up. E E Cummings, I was told is a great poet, I read this person, 'let me say' I tried to read this and THAT is what "I" would call ...unreadable. I like Billy Collins, Hondo Crouch and I read you, and others here and see the comments; "I am not sure of the meaning but great imagery." <I saw one today on anna's poem.>

and you weren't on the list of intellectuals here <laughing> neir'ther was I. HA!

okay gonna go spin in the rain closet

Back