Waffle Research

Hi

I live just outside Oxford city, Oxford looks beautiful from the high ground just as you approach the place.
The Dreaming spires of the colleges and university and the stonework of all the surrounding buildings gleams in the sun, the place looks just like the picture on the postcards.

Then you reach the place and it's a s**t hole, the spires are still there but hidden by crap designed modern structures some idiot allowed corporate organisations to throw up willy nilly.
All a bit different from when Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings here.

The streets are paved with chewing gum and litter discarded by the thousands of visitors each day, I think they bring it from where ever to chuck it down or spit it out in Oxford.

You are barged out of the way on the pavement by gangs of strange speaking visitors with no idea of manners or polite behaviour as they rush round clicking away with their camera's as if they own the place just because they paid to get there.

The only saving grace for me is that I don't have to live in the place, just work there occasionally.
My little bit of England, Abingdon, sits on the river Thames 8 miles from Oxford and we are still surrounded by country side and rolling hills, miles of riverside footpaths and loads of riverside pubs for a break from the strain of walking.

Yes Mathgirl Ireland is something else isn't it, we have friends with a holiday cottage in the south, Donegal, we have been a couple of times, beautiful beyond description waking up to the fresh air and miles of nothingness, just the rugged coast and mountains around.

As you say lovely people as well, so friendly and laid back, but yes beware the Irish road system if you don't have a 4 x 4 or tank. They all drive on whatever side of the road they feel like on any given day I think.

Must make a note to visit New Zealand one day as well before I pop my cloggs, I do have a brother there somewhere he went over in the 1950's and we haven't seen him since he writes about once every 5 yrs or so though so he's still about somewhere.

pops............:D

Wild Sweet One,

Shops? No I won’t describe the shops. A shop is a shop is a shop. Besides I hate shopping. Now if you were to ask my wife; well that would be different. She loves it. Otherwise why would she take so long when she is only going shopping for one item?

I live in 50 miles north of London. There are no grandiose scenic splendours where I live, just soft undulating green countryside. But we have something that a number of Americans, Australians and New Zealanders seem to envy, namely towns and buildings that are steeped in history. Towns with centuries old Tudor houses, the timbers of which have twisted and sagged over time but still perfectly habitable. Small villages with a pond, a village green and a pub where you can get draught English bitter. Chocolate box cottages with thatched roofs and a cottage garden full of lupins, delphiniums and roses.
It’s not all like that of course, but I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.

Octavian
Bearer of the Silver Rose

Nope! You won't get me to give away what I love about my area. If I did, there would be more and more people moving here.

Industry would eventually take over, muck up the air, and generate more traffic and congestion. Then it wouldn't be the place it is now.

Even visits to see all of its wonders would just trample it all to dust. Nope, I think I will just keep this little treasure all to myself. :p

Well, actually, it is just a crappy dust bowl. Nothing anyone would be interested in seeing, let alone live here. Trust me, that's the truth.:D

You're right Sandman, insignificant compared to what's around us, and I don't think it's a bad thing to be reminded of that occasionally either.
:)

Pop: Congratulations on your 100 postings, nice Av! :) Your niche sounds very nice too :) ...Wonder if I know your brother...

Octavian: See I knew you'd come back ;) Glad you did too. I understand what you mean about your houses and buildings being steeped in history. Europeans settled here first in the 1840s, so in comparison our history is very modern.

DVS: What can I say? Slipping in here and being sneaky about the good bits in your area. Come on, you've gotta do better'n that dear. I just know you want to share one little tiny bit of what you've got going for you.

Today turned out beautiful here, I took my UK friend to various places including North Head on the Waitemata Harbour. The sea, the islands, the yachts, the city... what a view! It sure makes me proud to be a New Zealander.

New ?

wildsweetone said:
[B It sure makes me proud to be a New Zealander. [/B]

Ummmm........ I'm sure this is a silly question, but where the heck is Old Zealand? Let's see, a land having something to do with the sea, probably England, but I've never heard of Zealand.

Diane the Geoagronomically Challenged

Hmmmmmmm

Tried to get to Australia last year for vacation, but couldn't get an exchange on our time share during the time we wanted to go. Maybe I'll have to look into New Zealand instead for next year! :)

So Wildsweet.........got some nice beach bungalows about there? :)

kiwi info

1642 Abel Tasman was the first european to discover NZ and he called it Staten Landt because he believed it was part of South America

1769 Then Captain Cook arrived and stuck the Union Jack up at Mercury Bay. A year later he crossed Cook Strait, hoisted the British Flag and once more possession of NZ was taken.

Two or three years later, Marion du Fresne landed in the Bay of Islands annexing NZ as France Australe for King Louis XV.

Then Captain Cook returned leaving a couple of sheep here. They died after a couple of days.

In 1643 it was discovered that South America didn't extend westwards, the Dutch navigators called the country Zeelandia Nova, the Latin equivalent of the Dutch Nieeuw Zeeland. The Dutch called it Nieeuw Zeeland in honour of a Dutch maritime province Zeeland.

The Maori name for New Zealand is 'Aotearoa'.

(I think I've got the dates and names right)

Re: Hmmmmmmm

Thesandman said:
Tried to get to Australia last year for vacation, but couldn't get an exchange on our time share during the time we wanted to go. Maybe I'll have to look into New Zealand instead for next year! :)

So Wildsweet.........got some nice beach bungalows about there? :)

We've got basically anything you want. lol We might still have the America's Cup when you get here too ;)

LOL.........

It's not really the cup we want......it's all those hot sexy women!

The West Country is beautiful and it's still possible to go walking on a warm summer's day and get completely lost in fields of hard ploughed mud, thinking of nothing but emptiness. Just gotta be ready to run when the farmer comes bouncing across the ruts in his Land Rover, waving his shotgun and screaming "GET ORF MOI LAAAAND!!"

*giggle*

I'm from Yorkshire. I have actually had that shouted at me when walking the Dales, and took great pleasure in showing the farmer the map, and pointing out the fact it *was* a public highway.

He wasn't happy.

In Wakefield... its the smallest city in the country, and only a city because it houses a Cathedral. The cathedral steps are inhabited by us alternative folk. We scare people. Its great.

Once got arrested for no apparent reason. *sigh*

Its pretty in the rural areas around here, but there are some dirty cities, especially Sheffield. I only go near that place for Meadowhall (its a Mall... and boy do I love it)

Re: kiwi info

wildsweetone said:

In 1643 it was discovered that South America didn't extend westwards, the Dutch navigators called the country Zeelandia Nova, the Latin equivalent of the Dutch Nieeuw Zeeland. The Dutch called it Nieeuw Zeeland in honour of a Dutch maritime province Zeeland.

I should have known it was some Dutchman. Seems like every time something confusing happens, there's the Dutch to blame.

Diane the Judgemental

Sandman: Yep, you better watch out too, you may need to get a checkup before you come here ;) Hot men are in great demand! ;)

Just_Legal: Dales, is this where Emmerdale Farm hovers perhaps? Oh finally!!! Somebody who loves shops! And not just ordinary shops either, a Mall! Wow I never thought we'd get there. ;)

Now all we need on this thread is someone with a love of cities, and buildings who can rant and rave about them. There's got to be somebody in Litland who likes cities...

SF

wildsweetone said:
Now all we need on this thread is someone with a love of cities, and buildings who can rant and rave about them. There's got to be somebody in Litland who likes cities...

I love San Francisco, but I'm not much of a ranter and raver. As for shops, there are several there. Oh, there are buildings, too. Quite a few, and some are rather largish. Even a couple of bridges.

Diane the Understated

Last edited:
wildsweetone said:

I can rant and rave about European cities..?:)

MathGirl said:
I love San Francisco, but I'm not much of a ranter and raver. As for shops, there are several there. Oh, there are buildings, too. Quite a few, and some are rather largish. Even a couple of bridges.

Diane the Understated
I know you said that in jest, but you know San Francisco isn't a place you want to be understated about. Fisherman's wharf, sourdough bread, the bay, Alcatraz Island, the fog rolling in at evening, Haight Ashbury, the trolley cars, the Presidio, old San Francisco proper (if there is any left standing after the earthquake), Big Basin State Park, and on and on.

Many movies and TV series have been filmed there, and for good reason. It is a beautiful city, full of history.

Haight Ashbury was the center of the 60s hippy movement, where the music and the times were created. Bands such as the Jefferson Airplane, Bob Dylan, Joan Biez, (and more that most of you younsters have no idea who they were) hung out there and thrived, just to mention a few.

Does anyone know what a Jefferson Airplane is?

Old San Francisco is a wonderful picture of old times forgotten. But, with shop owners renovating areas and storefronts, history has come back to life. The last time I was there I remember a small but fashionable piano bar called The Grand Piano. I played there from time to time, and they had great veggie sandwiches.

Down towards the water, there are floating homes that look as if they are small mansions on pontoons. Elaborate each one, seemingly to outdo their neighbor, all lined up one after the other for all to see.

Big Basin State Park is just south of San Francisco. It is a wonderful trip back to nature. There is a two day hike through woods and meadow, not to miss the hugh Redwood tree forest. We took the hike into the Redwoods and camped over night. The next day we hiked up the hills to the edge of the ocean to watch the sunset over the ocean several hundred feet below.

Don't forget your camera, or you will be kicking yourself for years to come. Deep in the Redwood forest are streams and water falls a-plenty. Wildlife abounds, and I particularly liked the newts that were thick in the pools of water under the falls.

The planatarium had the most wonderful laser show I have ever seen. The laser was a massive and very expensive behemoth, that would show every color in the rainbow on the ceiling, all to the music that played along. Everything was made up from single lines of colored laser light, shaped like cartoons , but better.

Ah, the Golden Gate Bridge. Built back in the '50s, it is a suspension bridge made to withstand earthquakes without damage. It was built to sway with any wind, nearly 30 feet from side to side. And, wind there is. It crosses the mouth of the bay, and a jacket is usually the best wear, if you go for a look. It has elevators to take repairmen to the tops of each tower, to check the tension of the many bands that hold it aloft. There is a fenced in walkway that is closely guarded because of the past fame of committing suicide by jumping off into the bay.

I don't mean to dampen anyone's images, but the bridge itself is not golden at all, but redish orange. It is constantly being painted, having a crew that works mostly year round. When they finish one end, the other end is in need of a new coat giving the painters a steady job. There are nets strung below the bridge when painters are there, to catch the odd bucket or whatever, or maybe a painter if he should happen to fall.

I have one rope I got on a midnight run way back when. Ah, the good old days. It is jute and more than an inch in diameter, with orange paint embedded. A treasure of old times, for sure.

I could go on and on about San Francisco, but I am sure some of what I speak of is no longer. My last trip there was over 15 years ago. But, memories never fade as long as the mind can remember...and NEVER understated.:cool:

At the moment, I'm living in Japan.
Most people seem to think of Japan as an industrialized hell of pollution, crowded, noisy, ugly concrete cities...

But there's so much greenery here, because Japanese don't build on the mountains anything except temples...the mountains are considered the abode of the gods, and not a place for mortals to live. This means that in every Japanese city, any decent-sized hill is covered in forest and not a single house ruins the greenery.

In Shiga prefecture, where I'm currently staying, I can look out my window and see mountains rising up close by, and on the other side is Lake Biwako (Japan's largest lake) also only a few minutes walk away. Shiga is almost a forgotten place, with only a small population, and lots of empty land. It's so beautiful and green in the wamer months of the year, and when it snows in Winter the view from my room fills me with wonder.

I was born in Sydney, and it's not exactly a snowfall kind of place, I'd very rarely seen snow except on TV before coming to Japan. My rare visits to Japan with my mother were always in the northern Spring.

The only thing I don't like is the cold, I'm not used to it yet, and grow envious of the Japanese who wear little and seem much less affected by the cold than me.

I would really love to go to NZ, on my father's side I have cousins on the North Island.

DVS & SF

DVS said:

Ah, the Golden Gate Bridge. Built back in the '50s, it is a suspension bridge made to withstand earthquakes without damage. :

Dear DVS,

Everything you said was right, exccept the GG Bridge was built in the 30s. It was an engineering marvel at the time, and it's still very impressive.

You didn't mention the tall, pointy building or the round one that looks sort of funny. There's also Castro street where the homosexuals have their community. One of my favorite things is to drive past the Folger's coffee factory & smell the coffee beans roasting. Mmmmm

Also, SF is famous for its grub.

Diane the San Franciscophile

Last edited:
Anyone know what a Jefferson Airplane is?

Food or a band. Its always food or a band LOL.

Dont. Mention. Emmerdale. That show just produces characters to fit stereotypes.

As a born and bred Yorkshire lass (well, 3/4 Yorkshire. Gotta have got my firey hair and temprament from somewhere (Irish)) it PISSES ME OFF.

*growl*

But yeah, it is where Emmerdale is based, quite near where I live is the fictional town... sorta between here, Leeds and York. Nemmind.

Anyone know what a Jefferson Airplane is?

Just-Legal said:
Food or a band. Its always food or a band LOL.

Well yes, Jefferson Airplane was a band. They then migrated to Jefferson Starship. Their home base was San Francisco, CA. Grace Slick was their lead singer.

But, I was really asking how did they get their name? There is something other than the band that has the name Jefferson Airplane, and they took it as the band name.

It was Jorma who named the band. "I had this friend up in Berkeley, Steve Talbot, and he came up with funny names for people," explains Jorma. "His name for me was Blind Thomas Jefferson Airplane (for blues pioneer Blind Lemon Jefferson). When the guys were looking for band names and nobody could come up with something, I remember saying, 'You want a silly band name? I got a silly band name for you!'"

From jeffersonairplane.com

Pookie

You cheated. Well, I guess I didn't say you couldn't.

DVS said:
You cheated. Well, I guess I didn't say you couldn't.

I couldn't resist! ;)

It is amazing though how a band can identify a location because of their impact during their era.

Pookie :rose:

Back