What One Thing Do You Like To See In A Poem

Reality, not all this lovey dovey suessy rhyming crap that makes me want to vomit. Show me your blood, your pain, the darkness in your soul. Give me poetry that punches in the stomach and does not apologize.

annaswirls said:
Yes of course intelligence, but isn't this a trait of the poet?
What I would like to know, Tzara, 1201, RainMan is:
How do you want to see this trait of intelligencemanifest itself in a poem?
How do you like the poet to use their intelligence? To what end?

My brother is extremely intelligent, but his poetry well, um, kind of sucks, even if it exudes intelligence.

Most of the things people have said they wanted to see require a certain level of intelligence.

hehe get a load at that annagirl buggin on other people's opinions

I have no doubt that the overwhelming majority of highly intelligent people cannot write intelligent poetry.

Only intelligent poets can do it.

I think good poetry is an orgy of intelligence – pure intellect, compositional and grammatical and vocabularic intelligence, emotional intelligence and maturity.

It covers so much ground you could write a never-ending tome about it.

Language wise, I think it manifests itself in many forms,

word choice,

word grouping,

the ability to be both precise and concise at the same time --

but I think, just as important, is the ability to be new and fresh not only of expression, but also of thought (avoiding not only clichéd expression but clichéd thinking as well) – being a fresh thinker by seeing and expressing old things in new ways and variations,

and,

the ability to comprehend the relationships that exist in our world - between this, that, and the other - and cast those personal understandings and experiences in a universal manner.

That is my idea of poetic intelligence –

and it is not an “acquired intelligence” I don’t think, not one that starts outside of you and moves in, not the vacuum cleaner kind of intelligence where you gather facts from books and teachers and return them to others.

I think it moves from the inside out. It’s in some people, gets polished over time, and becomes a fountainhead of sorts . . . its own source.

It’s complicated, but I think I know it when I see it.

:rose:

TheRainMan said:
I have no doubt that the overwhelming majority of highly intelligent people cannot write intelligent poetry.

I think good poetry is an orgy of intelligence – pure intellect, compositional and grammatical and vocabularic intelligence, emotional intelligence and maturity.

Language wise, I think it manifests itself in many forms,

word choice,

word grouping,

the ability to be both precise and concise at the same time --

but I think, just as important, is the ability to be new and fresh not only of expression, but also of thought (avoiding not only clichéd expression but clichéd thinking as well) – being a fresh thinker by seeing and expressing old things in new ways and variations,

and,

the ability to comprehend the relationships that exist in our world - between this, that, and the other - and cast those personal understandings and experiences in a universal manner.

and it is not an “acquired intelligence” I don’t think, not one that starts outside of you and moves in, not the vacuum cleaner kind of intelligence where you gather facts from books and teachers and return them to others.

I think it moves from the inside out. It’s in some people, gets polished over time, and becomes a fountainhead of sorts . . . its own source.

It’s complicated, but I think I know it when I see it.

vocabularic:
a volcanic fountainhead
varied Zen centered
in a Venn of velocity
virtuously vulnerable
or violently voracious
but brilliant
a beatific
vainglorious
verisimilitude​

Angeline said:
vocabularic:
a volcanic fountainhead
varied Zen centered
in a Venn of velocity
virtuously vulnerable
or violently voracious
but brilliant
a beatific
vainglorious
verisimilitude​

There you go.

I rest my case. :D

annaswirls said:
Yes of course intelligence, but isn't this a trait of the poet?
What I would like to know, Tzara, 1201, RainMan is:
How do you want to see this trait of intelligencemanifest itself in a poem?
How do you like the poet to use their intelligence? To what end?

My brother is extremely intelligent, but his poetry well, um, kind of sucks, even if it exudes intelligence.

Most of the things people have said they wanted to see require a certain level of intelligence.

hehe get a load at that annagirl buggin on other people's opinions
Damn you Rainman, we agree.
I would like to add that it engenders an air of a mystery that needs to be solved in the reader's head. That Aha, I got it. I think alot of people here write intelligent poetry as opposed to intellectual poetry which can be dreadful.
Bogusbrig, Tzara, and Lauren Hynde could be described as writing both. Bogus saves his ass by being so wickedly funny (which is why I love him). Tzara, and Lauren have more feeling, consideration of structure, and for the most part an avoidence of over-intellectual.
Rainman, Angeline write intelligent poetry, most of time avoiding the intellectual. They are obvious.
annaswirls, WickedEve write intelligent poetry, but in a very deceptive style.
These are just a few examples, there are more.
Look at the structure for effect, word choice, the building, the consideration of choices affecting the preceding, and the following words, lines.

TheRainMan said:
There you go.

I rest my case. :D

I think "Venn of velocity" is a stretch, but I like "vocabularic." It whispered write something to my muse. :D

And 1201, I think your classification of individual style is insightful. I agree. I think Maria and Tathagata have styles similar to mine and Rainman's; Yours and Liar's are somewhere between intellectual and intelligent (a la Lauren and Tzara) and intelligent/deceptive (Eve, Anna) style.

oh I have to write something outside of your quotes, here it is

TheRainMan said:

heh heh he said orgy

um, yeah, but she said ONE thing

:p

being a fresh thinker by seeing and expressing old things in new ways and variations,

and,

amen, brother!

:)

you are a schmartie. too bad I have the vocabulary of a 10th grader who has yet to study for the SAT.

here are the words I have to write outside the quotes

twelveoone said:
Damn you Rainman, we agree.
I would like to add that it engenders an air of a mystery that needs to be solved in the reader's head. That Aha, I got it.

amen brother!

annaswirls, WickedEve write intelligent poetry, but in a very deceptive style.

hmmm are you calling me deceptive?

:devil:

I am just playing the devil.

Angeline said:
I think "Venn of velocity" is a stretch, but I like "vocabularic." It whispered write something to my muse. :D

And 1201, I think your classification of individual style is insightful. I agree. I think Maria and Tathagata have styles similar to mine and Rainman's; Yours and Liar's are somewhere between intellectual and intelligent (a la Lauren and Tzara) and intelligent/deceptive (Eve, Anna) style.

Where is Eve? Harumph, I am not sure I like this deceptive malarky

:kiss: ;)

I am in a playful mood I found my puppy. A Labbe. :) :) :)

Attachments

• Labbe.jpg
    Labbe.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 9
annaswirls said:
oh I have to write something outside of your quotes, here it is

When we met you claimed to have the vocabulary of a 7th grader, so you are going in the right direction.

. . . i didn't believe you then, and don't now.

. . oh . . . orgy.

annaswirls said:
here are the words I have to write outside the quotes
Dear anna, may I remind you after reading one of your poems I thought you were an idiot and it took me five minutes before I decided you were a genius, and you continue to amaze me, wouldn't you think that qualifies as deceptive.

TheRainMan said:
When we met you claimed to have the vocabulary of a 7th grader, so you are going in the right direction.

. . . i didn't believe you then, and don't now.

. . oh . . . orgy.

did I say 7th grader? ha! I must have been trying to appear more humble when we first met. 10th grade, it has always been 10th grade.

7th grade is my sense of humor

orgy he said orgy heh heh

twelveoone said:
Dear anna, may I remind you after reading one of your poems I thought you were an idiot and it took me five minutes before I decided you were a genius, and you continue to amaze me, wouldn't you think that qualifies as deceptive.

yes. I may be so deceptive that I am an idiot decieving you that I am a genius instead of the other way around.

annaswirls said:
yes. I may be so deceptive that I am an idiot decieving you that I am a genius instead of the other way around.

-i before -e, except after -c. :)

:kiss:

annaswirls said:
Where is Eve? Harumph, I am not sure I like this deceptive malarky

:kiss: ;)

I am in a playful mood I found my puppy. A Labbe. :) :) :)

Well he could gave substituted "subtle" for "deceptive," which is a nicer way of putting it--and may be more of a compliment than "obvious." :D

The puppies are verrrry cute. Does the Labbe have a name yet?

Angeline said:
Well he could gave substituted "subtle" for "deceptive," which is a nicer way of putting it--and may be more of a compliment than "obvious." :D

No name, not even a nom de plume. :cool: I need to meet them first. They are too little to come home with me but the foster mom said I can come visit anytime, you know i will be there every day damn it I want my puppy :)

Angeline said:

Not meant that way.
I meant it that it should be obvious to most anyone that you and Rainman are good poets.
Not that you write obvious.
I consider would consider deceptive a high compliment. Both Frost and Eliot wrote deceptivly, Shakespear too. They are obviously good, also.
Subtle is such a lame word.

annaswirls said:
No name, not even a nom de plume. :cool: I need to meet them first. They are too little to come home with me but the foster mom said I can come visit anytime, you know i will be there every day damn it I want my puppy :)

The Puppy Song
Harry Nilsson

Dreams are nothing more than wishes
And a wish is just a dream you wish to come true

If only I could have a puppy
I'd call myself so very lucky
Just to have some company
To share a cup of tea with me
I'd take my puppy everywhere
La la la la I wouldn't care
We would stay away from crowds
And signs that say No Dogs Allowed
Oh we. (I know he'd never bite me.)
We. (I know he'd never bite me.)

If only I could have a friend
Who sticks with me until the end
And walk along beside the sea
To share a bit of moon with me
I'd take my friend most everywhere
La la la la I wouldn't care
We would stay away from crowds
And signs that say No Friends Allowed
Oh we. (We'd be so happy to be.)
We. (We'd be so happy to be together.)

But dreams are nothing more than wishes
And a wish is just a dream you wish to come true
Dreams are nothing more than wishes
And a wish is just a dream
(Your wish will come true.)

twelveoone said:
Not meant that way.
I meant it that it should be obvious to most anyone that you and Rainman are good poets.
Not that you write obvious.
I consider would consider deceptive a high compliment. Both Frost and Eliot wrote deceptivly, Shakespear too. They are obviously good, also.
Subtle is such a lame word.

oh damn, Eliot is such a GOOD name for a Puppy!!!!

Back