When was the last time you looked at your scores?

Re: Check scores?

HedbangerSA said:
. It seems so weird that after 3-4 weeks a story is for all intents and purposes dead. The vote totals haven't changed in a week, the views are stagnant, and the feedback dried up. So fast, yesterday's newspaper. I guess the answer is to keep writing, so you can get a new fix of feedback.

My story that was briefly number 1 - see other thread - had been posted since Oct 2002. Then a couple of votes tipped it above the 10 votes mark and into the ratings at number 1 with a perfect 5. A couple of votes more and it is back in obscurity. I have a dozen or so stories with less than 10 votes. IF anyone finds them they too might have their brief moment of fame.

The link is below but do not bother unless you have patience and understand British humour. If you don't - you will find them boring and pointless.

Og

I usually check mine daily or every other day for the first 2-3 weeks after its posted. After that, I check only when friends have asked me how my stories are doing.

My first story sat at only 14 votes for almost a year then grew to 28 votes when the second story posted (which has 14 votes, which I'm guessing is the reason my first story received the additional votes).

I've also noticed that after the first few weeks the feedback drops off.

Oh well, can't expect miracles.:)

TrinaT:rose:

Mathgirl: The royal we

You stumped me there, I don't know what the royal "we" is.

What I meant is that the author had some motivation to write a story, and I am assuming the author thought the story is hot or else the author would not be wanting to share it with others. Soon, I will read your stories. Don't you think they are hot? Now, I wanted to express that thought for numerous authors, and I thought the word "we" did the job.

Aren't you working on your Doctorate? I am just going for my Master's, and the work is keeping me away from fun things more than I'd like, but if the word "we" really messed you up that much, I'll try to be more careful. Sorry!

In this case, just think of the word "we" as a constant. Now, take the derivative. What is left is the importance of this usage. Just one person's opinion.

I'll still offer to proofread for you. If you work in Word, use the spell check and all (spelling is NOT my strong point.) Then select all, copy, and paste into word pad or whatever you have that yields a plain text file. I'm new here and just trying to be friendly. I'm sure there are better proofreaders than me.

-Waterkemist

Re: checking scores

waterkemist said:

Like another writer told me, "It's a cheap hobby."

-Waterkemist

Oh I love that! However what we don't pay in cash we pay out in "heart" . Thats why the feedback is that much more important.

Wee wee

waterkemist said:
Hey, lets face it. We wrote the story and we got off on the sensuality of it.

An example of the "royal we" is Queen Liz saying, "We are not amused." Meaning, of course that SHE is pissed off. I was wondering whether you meant by "we" that several people had written a story or that you were meaning yourself (e.g. the "royal we").

I really don't know why you offered to proofread and suggested I use a spell checker. I was not aware that I required either of those things.

MG, on the rag and spoiling fer a fight.

Re: Wee Oui

MathGirl said:
I was wondering whether you meant by "we" that several people had written a story or that you were meaning yourself (e.g. the "royal we").

I really don't know why you offered to proofread and suggested I use a spell checker. I was not aware that I required either of those things.

MG, on the rag.

Dear MG,

You realise of course, now that you are yourself and DG, you can legitimately use "we" royal or not.

No you (as MG) don't need proofreading and spellchecking but you (as DG) do because some people do not understand what DG is about.

Do you realise what on the rag means in British English? I am sorry it is that time of the month and no wonder you were irritable for the last few days.

Love from Og.

Re: Re: Wee Oui

oggbashan said:
Dear MG,
No you (as MG) don't need proofreading and spellchecking but you (as DG) do because some people do not understand what DG is about.

Do you realise what on the rag means in British English? I am sorry it is that time of the month and no wonder you were irritable for the last few days.

DG would strip the gears of a spell checker. I refuse to recognize persons who are so dim that they can't understand what DG is about.

I'm very sure what OTR means. Actually, I'm always irritable. It's just that I truly ENJOY being that way at certain times of the month.

MG, Riding the cotton pony

Re: Oui- certainment

MathGirl said:
Actually, I'm always irritable. It's just that I truly ENJOY being that way at certain times of the month.

MG, Riding the cotton pony

I had noticed but I haven't been here long enough to work out your cycles.

Plaintively - Have you got a classic cycle to go with Morris the MG?

Love from Og.

Re: Re: Oui- certainment

oggbashan said:
Plaintively - Have you got a classic cycle to go with Morris the MG?

No, but I've ridden on an Ariel square four and a Norton lots of times. Several Indians. My man collects those things, too. He likes things that are fast and make a lot of noise. Like me.
MG

Purr, Purr

MathGirl said:
No, but I've ridden on an Ariel square four and a Norton lots of times. Several Indians. My man collects those things, too. He likes things that are fast and make a lot of noise. Like me.
MG

I've just p*****d off my wife by buying a 1957 BSA Bantam which is NOT fast and not very noisy but is a sign of second childhood.

I used to ride Ariels - my 1st and 3rd machines.

I had noticed that MG is fast and noisy but like the motorcycles very nice to hear. (not like that ill-bred DG).

Love Og.

Re: Purr, Purr

oggbashan said:
I've just p*****d off my wife by buying a 1957 BSA Bantam which is NOT fast and not very noisy but is a sign of second childhood.

I used to ride Ariels - my 1st and 3rd machines.

I had noticed that MG is fast and noisy but like the motorcycles very nice to hear. (not like that ill-bred DG).

Love Og.

They're noisy if you take the fish tail off the silencer and hack a couple of baffle discs out, they also go a bit quicker if you do, hehe, although I doubt you'll vandalise a collectors piece the way I used to my road machines in the 60's.

I had three Bantam's in all before I passed my test, 2 150cc and a 175cc I pranged them all.

I also had a Greaves sport twin, a Triumph Bonny, a Norton Manxman, and finished my biker days with BSA Goldie, 500cc Gold Star, beast of a machine.

Yes that MG likes it noisy doesn't she, but lovely with it.

Serious Biking

The last bike I used for day to day transport was a BSA M20 500cc sidevalve built in 1944.

I bought it in 1969 as Army Surplus with 300 recorded miles.

It now has over 200,000 miles and is still being ridden by one of my cousins.

It had girder forks and NO rear suspension except for the springs of the saddle. It made a lovely noise when I did wheelies down Fleet Street in London - and yes you could do wheelies with it because of the low down grunt of the heavy engine.

I wouldn't ride it now because I remember the frame whip and skipping rear wheel on corners and the passenger sitting on the "flapper bracket" felt every pimple on the road.

The Bantam is civilised with a swinging arm and telescopic forks. Wow!

Og

Re: Serious Biking

oggbashan said:
It had girder forks and NO rear suspension except for the springs of the saddle.

Sounds like a good way to develop a prizewinning set of hemorrhoids.

Isn't it amazing how the simple mention of a car can get the testosterone flying around here? Well, I shouldn't talk, my hobbies are airplanes, cars, and golf. No, I'm a certified female.

Motorcycles scare me. I'm just too small to ride a big bike, but I like being a passenger. I worry about my man when he rides a Harley Sportster as much as I do when he files his P-38. Testosterone is required to fly one of those. Possibly a death wish, too.

Most people think I'm strange because I'd rather talk about Rolls Merlins or classic cars than shoes and pantyhose.

MG

Last edited:
Yep

Bantam's are surprisingly comfy little bikes to ride, so well behaved as long as you don't try to push your luck, biggest problem of course compared with modern bikes, shit brakes, I had many a nervous few seconds wondering if the bloody thing was going to stop before it hit the stationary object.

The Goldie was a beast, 500cc single cylinder H/C Racing engine, bloody old drum brakes, and although it had a swing-arm frame and reasonable teli forks it had too much grunt for to be stable at high speed / acceleration, had to wind up to over 1000 revs before you could ease the clutch out or it almost stalled.
It wouldn't wheelie, too long and low, just rear wheel spin, blue smoke and arse end all over the place.

Re: Re: Serious Biking

MathGirl said:
Sounds like a good way to develop a prizewinning set of hemorrhoids.

Isn't it amazing how the simple mention of a car can get the testosterone flying around here? Well, I shouldn't talk, my hobbies are airplanes, cars, and golf. No, I'm a certified female.

Motorcycles scare me. I'm just too small to ride a big bike, but I like being a passenger. I worry about my man when he rides a Harley Sportster as much as I do when he files his P-38. Testosterone is required to fly one of those. Possibly a death wish, too.

Most people think I'm strange because I'd rather talk about Rolls Merlins or classic cars than shoes and pantyhose.

MG

Nothing strange about you darling, refreshingly normal for a place like this.
Got a P-38 has he, nothing dangerous about them, very stable aircraft in the right hands, Cadilac of the skies.

Hey wanna talk dirty about 27 Ltr V 12 Merlins, Hmm yum , yum, hehehehehehe!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Serious Biking

pop_54 said:
Got a P-38 has he, nothing dangerous about them, very stable aircraft in the right hands, Cadilac of the skies.

Hey wanna talk dirty about 27 Ltr V 12 Merlins, Hmm yum , yum, hehehehehehe!!!!!!!

He has 3 P-38s. Not dangerous? Try firewalling the blower boost when you're just cruising along at about 200 knots. The sudden torque turns the thing over into a spin.

He has 13 aircraft, but only two Brit. A Hawker Hurricaine and a Sopwith Pup he built from stratch around a LaRhone rotary engine. He'd give almost anything for a Spitfire.

There are two new in original crate Merlins sitting in a storage barn. Says one is just going to sit until he finds a Spit to put it in. If he can ever find one in restorable shape.

Vroooooommmmmm vroooooooooommmmmmm
MG

I used to watch my scores closely. Then...after a few stories I discovered that I wasn't watching as close as I once did. It has been a while since my last story...I guess I should get busy writing again...just been otherwise occupied. I wonder at times what the story scores really tell one?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Serious Biking

MathGirl said:
He'd give almost anything for a Spitfire.

There are two new in original crate Merlins sitting in a storage barn. Says one is just going to sit until he finds a Spit to put it in. If he can ever find one in restorable shape.

Vroooooommmmmm vroooooooooommmmmmm
MG

There is a Spitfire sitting in a nice heated museum building a few miles from me. I go there from time to time and drool.

They keep digging up bits of Spitfires in Kent, and the German planes as well. But restorable Spitfires? There aren't any that your man doesn't know about. Spain was the last hunting ground for old Spitfires.

One of my painful memories is being catapulted off an aircraft carrier as a back seat passenger. Once was more than enough. Ow!

I'll stick to my Bantam. It stops if you give it time.

Og.

Expectorating

oggbashan said:
But restorable Spitfires? There aren't any that your man doesn't know about. Spain was the last hunting ground for old Spitfires.

There aren't any restorable Spits. He would know, because he travels all over the world looking for stuff like that. Found a functional Mustang in Argentina last year, though.
MG

Re: Expectorating

MathGirl said:
There aren't any restorable Spits. He would know, because he travels all over the world looking for stuff like that. Found a functional Mustang in Argentina last year, though.
MG

Just a thought - there are crated Spits sitting on the seabed on the route of the WWII convoys to Russia. I understand that the cold water is a good preservative. The ships could be classified as war graves which might make recovery impossible.

Me, I don't even like the thought of diving in water that cold.

Og.

Re: Re: Expectorating

oggbashan said:
Just Me, I don't even like the thought of diving in water that cold.Og.

I don't think he wants one that badly. There's some outfit in England that will made a Spitfire to original specs for about $1KK. It wouldn't be the real thing, though. The Hurricane is pretty neat, though. There's only about six still flying in the world.
MG

Cold Cold Water

MathGirl said:
I don't think he wants one that badly.
MG

But it wouldn't be just one. How about 10, 20 or 30 per ship? He might make a profit and have a free Spitfire as well. You could leave the tanks and guns for the next guy.

Og.

proofreading

MG
Love the new AV. It is so hot.

I guess my comment to you was based on the proofreading thread you started. When I saw that thread I was thinking how much I hate proofreading my own work, and I had a similar experience of reading and still not finding all the typos.

I did not mean to imply that you need a spell check or anything else. As a matter of fact, I'm going to turn my dictionary into a hidden safe. Good place to store my M&M's, right under hand.

-WK

Back