Which Editor?

The Plight Of Editors.

In a way, I feel sorry for the Editor.

Everybody has a different expectation of what her role should be. Add the knowledge that the submissions are written for different genres, with different conventions, containing different formulas; one wonders what prompts anyone - save masochism - to sign up as an Editor.

Once she has divined that this is a ‘Vampire Story' and she edits for ‘Romance Monthly,' even the most dedicated of Professional Editors will quickly ditch a story with a check mark beside: "Not suitable for our market".

Ann Rice to the contrary, I doubt that many Editors would read to the bitter end to determine if there was any romantic involvement between the Vampire and its Victim. She would know that THAT is not what her readers require.

The four scariest words in the English language are: "I have an idea !"

Perhaps it would help to consider Literotica as a ‘masthead' publishing a score of ‘magazines' in as many different genres. Certainly, all but one requires (insists upon?) sexual content, but the different requirements of the sex described in Romance, Toys, BDSM, or Non Human are vast. Far broader than the diversity between different writers' styles, or their readers' pleasures.

What I am suggesting, is that when an Editor signs up, she should have to choose one genre of story to Edit. ( Perhaps two, if time restraints are not a factor.)

And for those writers who are already quite satisfied with the content of their story, but would like a critical eye cast over their proofing - spelling, grammar, syntax, et cetera - another kind of Editor could be added: The Proof Editor.

This would take more organization, and it may prove difficult to find willing Editors for some story genres, but I believe the effort would be beneficial in the long run.

Quasi.

Last edited:
Back