Who Will Be The Next Chief Of Naval Operations?

May 2, 2023

Who Will be the next Chief of Naval Operations?​

By Brent Ramsey

Last September, the Navy promoted and installed a new Vice Chief of Naval Operations. Then Vice Admiral Lisa Franchetti got her 4th star and was appointed to the second-highest position in the Navy. Now after a scant seven months, the betting line going around D.C. is that she will likely be the next CNO based on the identity politics track record of President Biden. When President Biden had an opportunity to appoint to the Supreme Court, before assessing anyone’s qualifications, he announced that a black woman would get that seat, and he followed up on that promise. Would an identity-based selection for the Navy’s top leader be in the best interest of the Navy and the Nation? No, the nation needs and deserves the very best warrior to lead the Navy into our threatened future.

Admiral Franchetti is a journalism graduate of Northwestern University NROTC, a non-STEM degree which itself is unusual, as the Navy strongly favors STEM degrees for officers. She has a Master’s Degree in organizational management from the University of Phoenix, an online university. Her biography does not mention any war college credential. In contrast, her predecessor Admiral William Lescher had multiple commands in combat zones, was a test pilot, had multiple advanced degrees in naval technical fields and his commands won multiple combat zone merit awards. To naval professionals, for someone to have been promoted to the Navy’s highest rank and second highest position based on a NROTC commissioning source with a liberal arts degree, an online masters, no war college or combat zone credentials, would be considered inconceivable. Perhaps her success is based on a particularly spectacular service record?

As a flag officer, her assignments were to the Joint Staff as the J5 (Strategy, Plans and Policy), Commander, U.S. Naval Forces, Korea; Commander, Carrier Strike Groups 9 and 15, both training strike groups; Commander, 6th Fleet and Naval Striking and Support Forces NATO. All are important assignments for sure, but not front-line experience in any of the real hot spots. The rest of her flag assignments were staff positions.

More here: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/05/who_will_be_the_next_chief_of_naval_operations.html

Let's see if Joe Biden cares about the war-fighting ability of the U.S. Navy.
You know who also achieved 4 stars without front-line experience in any of teh real "hot spots"?

A guy named Dwight David Eisenhower.

Kinda sad how teh Usual Suspects here view women in high military command positions as "diversity picks".

Thankfully, they can count on DeSantis to do his best to roll back those "diversities" and make 'em barefoot, pregnant and in teh kitchem.

This isn’t true—the Confederate Army used black slaves as laborers and camp servants, not soldiers (which seems to be the implication here).

The one exception was the 1st Louisiana Native Guard, but…

-that unit was made up of mixed-race creoles who were not at all in the same social position as free or enslaved black people;

-it also disbanded when the Union took New Orleans and reformed under the Union, so
With all due respect, I don't know you abd aren't familiar with your posts but I think you're misinformed on the subject:

On March 13, 1865, with the main Rebel armies facing long odds against much larger Union armies, the Confederacy, in a desperate measure, reluctantly approves the use of Black troops.

READ MORE: 6 Black Heroes of the Civil War

The situation was bleak for the Confederates in the spring of 1865. The Yankees had captured large swaths of Southern territory, General William T. Sherman’s Union army was tearing through the Carolinas, and General Robert E. Lee was trying valiantly to hold the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia, against General Ulysses S. Grant’s growing force. Lee and Confederate President Jefferson Davis had only two options. One was for Lee to unite with General Joseph Johnston’s army in the Carolinas and use the combined force to take on Sherman and Grant one at a time. The other option was to arm enslaved workers, the last source of fresh manpower in the Confederacy.

The idea of enlisting Black soldiers had been debated for some time. Arming enslaved workers was essentially a way of setting them free, since they could not realistically be sent back to plantations after they had fought. General Patrick Cleburne had suggested enlisting enslaved workers a year before, but few in the Confederate leadership considered the proposal, since slavery was the foundation of Southern society. One politician asked, “What did we go to war for, if not to protect our property?” Another suggested, “If slaves will make good soldiers, our whole theory of slavery is wrong.” Lee weighed in on the issue and asked the Confederate government for help. “We must decide whether slavery shall be extinguished by our enemies and the slaves be used against us, or use them ourselves.” Lee asked that the enslaved workers be freed as a condition of fighting, but the bill that passed the Confederate Congress on March 13, 1865, did not stipulate freedom for those who served.

The measure did nothing to stop the destruction of the Confederacy. Several thousand Black men were enlisted to fight for the Confederates, but they could not begin to balance out the nearly 200,000 Black soldiers who fought for the Union.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/confederacy-approves-black-soldiers

And here from the black culture and historical site:

The debate over black Confederates has reached a kind of impasse: Neither side is listening to the other. As the historian William Freehling quietly acknowledged in a footnote: “This important subject is now needlessly embroiled in controversy, with politically correct historians of one sort refusing to see the importance (indeed existence) of the minority of slaves who were black Confederates, and politically correct historians of the opposite sort refusing to see the importance of black Confederates’ limited numbers.”

Freehling is right. A few thousand blacks did indeed fight for the Confederacy. Significantly, African-American scholars from Ervin Jordan and Joseph Reidy to Juliet Walker and Henry Louis Gates Jr., editor-in-chief of The Root, have stood outside this impasse, acknowledging that a few blacks, slave and free, supported the Confederacy.

How many supported it? No one knows precisely. But by drawing on these scholars and focusing on sources written or published during the war, I estimate that between 3,000 and 6,000 served as Confederate soldiers. Another 100,000 or so blacks, mostly slaves, supported the Confederacy as laborers, servants and teamsters. They built roads, batteries and fortifications; manned munitions factories—essentially did the Confederacy’s dirty work.

More here: https://www.theroot.com/yes-there-were-black-confederates-here-s-why-1790858546

Kinda sad how teh Usual Suspects here view women in high military command positions as "diversity picks".

Thankfully, they can count on DeSantis to do his best to roll back those "diversities" and make 'em barefoot, pregnant and in teh kitchem.
Kinda sad how you avoid her record and just smooch butt with the party line.

The Admiral Franchetti isn't black. So I don't know why you brought that up.

Flynn was commissioned in the U.S. Army as a second lieutenant in military intelligence, in 1981.[4] His military assignments included multiple tours at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, with the 82nd Airborne Division, XVIII Airborne Corps, and Joint Special Operations Command, where he deployed for the invasion of Grenada and Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti.[22] He also served with the 25th Infantry Division at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, at the Joint Readiness Training Center at Fort Polk, Louisiana, and the Army Intelligence Center at Fort Huachuca, Arizona.[4]

Flynn served as the assistant chief of staff, G2, XVIII Airborne Corps at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, from June 2001 and the director of intelligence at the Joint Task Force 180 in Afghanistan until July 2002. He commanded the 111th Military Intelligence Brigade from June 2002 to June 2004[4] and was the director of intelligence for Joint Special Operations Command from July 2004 to June 2007, with service in Afghanistan (Operation Enduring Freedom) and the Iraq War (Operation Iraqi Freedom). He served as the director of intelligence of the United States Central Command from June 2007 to July 2008, as the director of intelligence of the Joint Staff from July 2008 to June 2009, then the director of intelligence of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan from June 2009 to October 2010.[4][23]

In September 2011, Flynn was promoted to Lieutenant General and assigned as assistant director of national intelligence in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. On April 17, 2012, President Barack Obama nominated Flynn to be the 18th director of the Defense Intelligence Agency.[24][25] Flynn took command of the DIA in July 2012.[26] He simultaneously became commander of the Joint Functional Component Command for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, and chair of the Military Intelligence Board.

In October 2012, Flynn announced plans to release his paper "VISION2020: Accelerating Change Through Integration", a look at changes he believes are necessary for the DIA in the future.[27][28] It was at the DIA that Flynn met Ezra Cohen-Watnick, whom Flynn would elevate to the National Security Council in 2017.[29][30]

You might note that Flynn was appointed by Barack Obama.
Dammit!
Arguing on here enough one is bound to trip up and make a horrible mistake. I’m willing to admit mine and apologize to Admiral Franchetti. I’m also more than happy to blame Obama for promoting Michael Flynn. Though, it must be noted, that the Obama administration warned the incoming Trump administration about Flynn as well.
So let’s get to the meat of what you’re really saying: She’s not worthy. She’s not qualified. The people promoting her did so because they were pressured and, therefore, the people who will be under her command have every right to not obey her authority.

But they must have lost the argument because many blacks did serve on the Confederate side.
They served coffee to the officers.
Trivia: a person who knew how to brew coffee during the Civil War was called a "settler"...because they had skillz keepin' coffee grounds from teh finished product. A lost art in today's Keurig environment. Think of how many jobs Keurig done cost Murica?

The fact that a month before the war ended the Confederacy reluctantly and purely out of desperation tried to organize a plan to get slaves fighting (but ran out of time before it came to anything) doesn’t undercut the point that during their actual campaigns Confederates used black peoples as laborers and servants, not soldiers.

Also, using the word “supported” to describe the thousands of slaves forced to do manual labor for the Confederate Army seems to imply it was in any way voluntary. In fact, as soon as the Union started letting slaves escape past Union lines and organizing them into “contraband” units, the Confederacy started having massive problems with runaways, even compared to before.
“Thousands of black Americans were forced to support the operations of the Confederate army as teamsters, cooks, body servants, and laborers. In 1863, more than 6,000 accompanied the 71,000 soldiers of the Army of Northern Virginia into Pennsylvania.”

So….. here’s my argument, beef, and question that I’m more than willing to again be proven wrong on. It seems like a particular kind of bias (let’s use that word) to imply that for the confederate army these positions are labeled as nothing more than support when in others they would be labeled as active military servicemen in the corps of engineers or medics or mess hall steward, etc.

The US is falling behind in hypersonic weapons and drones. And its fuel situation is precarious. The top brass won't be changing that with diversity or excellence.

Dammit!
Arguing on here enough one is bound to trip up and make a horrible mistake. I’m willing to admit mine and apologize to Admiral Franchetti. I’m also more than happy to blame Obama for promoting Michael Flynn. Though, it must be noted, that the Obama administration warned the incoming Trump administration about Flynn as well.
So let’s get to the meat of what you’re really saying: She’s not worthy. She’s not qualified. The people promoting her did so because they were pressured and, therefore, the people who will be under her command have every right to not obey her authority.
Yep, now tell us why. we know why but do proceed.

Yep, now tell us why. we know why but do proceed.
Oh, this is easy. Because you continually have proven with your past posts that you are a misogynistic, racist piece of shit that has long ago used up any good will of being given the benefit of the doubt. I mean this whole thread is just about what I just said.

The fact that a month before the war ended the Confederacy reluctantly and purely out of desperation tried to organize a plan to get slaves fighting (but ran out of time before it came to anything) doesn’t undercut the point that during their actual campaigns Confederates used black peoples as laborers and servants, not soldiers.

Also, using the word “supported” to describe the thousands of slaves forced to do manual labor for the Confederate Army seems to imply it was in any way voluntary. In fact, as soon as the Union started letting slaves escape past Union lines and organizing them into “contraband” units, the Confederacy started having massive problems with runaways, even compared to before.
Not everyone in the US Army of today ever makes contact with the enemy, there are anywhere from 7-12 troops supporting each combat soldier who actually pulls a trigger and that in no way diminishes the value of their service or the fact that they are soldiers. Here again from Roots:

How many supported it? No one knows precisely. But by drawing on these scholars and focusing on sources written or published during the war, I estimate that between 3,000 and 6,000 served as Confederate soldiers. Another 100,000 or so blacks, mostly slaves, supported the Confederacy as laborers, servants and teamsters. They built roads, batteries and fortifications; manned munitions factories—essentially did the Confederacy’s dirty work.

Oh, this is easy. Because you continually have proven with your past posts that you are a misogynistic, racist piece of shit that has long ago used up any good will of being given the benefit of the doubt. I mean this whole thread is just about what I just said.
And you are a cowardly son of a bitch. You're a bad man behind your keyboard. You get jammed up with facts and you want to get personal and attack me because it's safe to do so. Well, my answer to that is fuck the hell off. We're done.

I agree with you!
Now, would you try explaining for me, why would the service to a military force, particularly that of slaves, be treated as simple support staff?

The worst thing about this Confederate claim is how it snuggles in the totally false suggestion that black slaves forced to work for the Confederate Army *willingly* supported it in any meaningful way

giphy.gif

there's a huuuuuuuuuge difference right there and he's desperately trying to pretend it's not relevant.

Fair question—

The difference is that in the Confederate Army was using literal slaves for this work, not volunteers or even paid draftees. They had no privileges of status or rank, and weren’t regarded as “active duty servicemen”…they weren’t regarded as anything above property, in fact.

If we kidnapped thousands of, say, Canadians and forced them to be cooks for US military units, the fact that in sone other militaries cooking is done by active duty military members doesn’t mean that’s what our kidnapped Canadians are, right?

The worst thing about this Confederate claim is how it snuggles in the totally false suggestion that black slaves forced to work for the Confederate Army *willingly* supported it in any meaningful way
We are not arguing, OK? I get what you’re saying, but we call these people prisoners of war. Slaves built the infrastructure for the confederacy, for America. It just sounds like we’re diminishing the labor, again, of slaves.

See, I would much rather have this conversation on this thread!
Look how we have suddenly tied the diminishing of the career of admiral Franchetti to talking about how slaves served in the military instead of RG’s misogyny. I’m happy.

The US is falling behind in hypersonic weapons and drones. And its fuel situation is precarious. The top brass won't be changing that with diversity or excellence.
How dare you, sir!
I really wanted the pleasure of blowing up this RG thread and hopefully put a nail in it with my own wild claim that if America falls tomorrow I will not be blaming the cause on any diversity hire, women or gays in the military, affirmative action, or any bad decisions made by our generals. It will be because folks were fooled by a conman, serial sexual abuser who brags about his friendship with our worst known enemies, incited an attempt to overthrow a fair and legitimate election, had access and stole America’s secrets to be dispensed or sold to fuck knows who.
Like a flimsy RG thread, I’ve got no proof, but that’s who I’m blaming.

Back