Who's your favorite author??

Adhesive cojones

Sub Joe said:
Ballistic = sticky balls (not one of my best)

Oh. Hur hur. Now I get it. Wish I hadn't. That isn't a human heart, is it?

Carl H

Has anyone out there besides me read CARL HIAASEN?

I just discovered him, and he's hilarious.

Re: Carl H

MathGirl said:
Has anyone out there besides me read CARL HIAASEN?

I just discovered him, and he's hilarious.

Carl Hiaasin is a longtime staple for Florida Crime fans... My favourites are Lucky You and Sick Puppy (the first of his true Florida trilogy).

But funny enough, his work as a novelist is only a side job LOL (maybe not by now).

His main work is as a wise-ass columnest for the Miami Herald. Hiaasin's most biting stuff can be found there, but reading the compendium of it was less satisfying for me then it would be for a local I imagine...

P.S. If you like the texture and pace of Hiaasin, may I suggest an East Texas writer called Joe R. Lansdale. In my opinion Lansdale is writing some of the finest crime fiction in America today. Savage Season is the first book to look for if you do. I bet you wont be disappointed.

Cheers!

Nitelite

Righters

Dear NL,

I'm reading Hiaasen's "Sick Puppy" now, and it's my first of his.

I'm also a longtime fan of Joe Landsdale's. I especially love his short stories. Really weird. My favorites are extremely macabre, I'm afraid. "Drive in Date" and the one about the three teenagers who found the alligator. Shudder.

Some of James Lee Burke's Louisiana novels are much like Landsdale's saner novels.

Diane the Bibliophiliac

Re: Righters

MathGirl said:
Some of James Lee Burke's Louisiana novels are much like Landsdale's saner novels.
B]

I'm down with Robichaux for sure, but my favourite crime-writer 100% is Donald Westlake/Richard Stark...

Check out some of the new Stark reprints if you have the inclination. His novel “The Hunter”, was the basis for one of the coolest crime-melodramas of the 60's called “Point Blank” with Lee Marvin. His main protagonist Parker is the epitome of cool IMO :D

Re: Re: Righters

nitelite33 said:
I'm down with Robichaux for sure, but my favourite crime-writer 100% is Donald Westlake/Richard Stark...

Mine is Robert B. Parker. Spenser is so cool. His latest, "Shrink Wrap" is one of the best.

Hiaasen reminds me of Elmore Leonard on some mind altering chemical.

I also like Westlake/Stark, Hunter/McBain

Shrink Rap is good?

I long gave up Parker after the mid 80's ones ran together in a blur...

Other then "All Our Yesterdays" which wasn't Spenser, I haven't touched Parker in years.

hmm...

nitelite33 said:
I long gave up Parker after the mid 80's ones ran together in a blur...Other then "All Our Yesterdays" which wasn't Spenser, I haven't touched Parker in years.

I only recently discovered Parker, so I read everything he ever wrote. It was all new to me, and I loved it. I think "Shrink Wrap" is the best of the bunch.

Parker's one of those writers who wants to be his character. They tell me it's called a "Mary Sue" or something like that.

Nobody ever told me why, though.

The fact that I was born in 1983 may have something to do with not reading Robert B. Parker in the eighties. I think it was more "My Daily Reader" for me then. I've tried my best to catch up, though. Three to five books a week.

MathGirl said:
The fact that I was born in 1983 may have something to do with not reading Robert B. Parker in the eighties. I think it was more "My Daily Reader" for me then. I've tried my best to catch up, though. Three to five books a week.

I got alot from Parker growing up.

It may sound silly, but I really identified with the young boy from "God Save the Child" and took Parker's lessons on Walden and Thoreau to heart.

While Parker's themes of nobility and honor may seem a little simplistic beyond the confines of his stories, I have internalized many of them and often consider possible actions against the ‘code’ that Parker and Spenser doggedly adhered to.

P.S. I didn’t read the books the in the 80s either ;D (I’m not much older then you)

I liked 'Devil in a Blue Dress'... But haven't read any more ;/

Too little time... To much to read...

Though on a different note, I'm currently enjoying John Frenzon's 'The Corrections'...

Best line

The best descriptive line I've read this week:

"His beard and moustache made him look like a man swallowing a cat"

Writers discovered

I've just discovered two authors I've never tried before. Both are maniacs, and their books are really fun.

Bill Fitzhugh. He writes like Elmore Leonard on crystal meth. Lots of bodies, lots of laughs, and he writes VERY well.

Tim Dorsey. Writes about Florida. He's like Carl Hiaasen on PCP. If Florida is anything like TD describes, it's either a place I've got to visit or one I have to avoid like the plague. Riotous. Hilarious characters, scenes, and stories.

Both these guys remind me of Hunter S. Thompson, except more so.

Favourite authors?

Anne Rice: Mainly the vampire series and the Mummy.

Dean Koontz

Stephen King

Christian Jacq: Is a French egyptologist who writes about old time Egypt in fiction style.

Astrid Lindgren: Pippi Longstocking's creator

S.E. Hinton: Wrote "The Outsiders"

the guy who writes the Narnia series. Gosh, I love those books!

Elmore Leonard is probably my favorite writer, but I would put P.G. Wodehouse on the shortlist as well. But if I had to recommend one book for someone to read, it would be "Motherless Brooklyn" by Jonathan Lethem. It's a detective story, and the narrator/detective has Tourette's Syndrome. It's just a fantastic book, I think it won the National Book Critics award, and it's a must read.

Amazingly, no one mentioned any of my favourite writers yet:

Bret Easton Ellis (Glamorama is probably the best book ever written)
J.G. Ballard (Crash, Super-Cannes...)
David Foster Wallace (Infinite Jest is fantastic)
Iain Banks
Gabriel García Márquez
Douglas Coupland
Based on my choices, people at amazon swear I'd love Chuck Palahniuk, but I haven't read anything by him, yet.

Sebastian Faulk
John Mortimer
Paul Theroux for novels.

Nicholson Baker and Daniel Handler for erotica

Michael Ondaatje for Poetry

Favorite Author

:confused: There are so many to choose from, but if I had one to chose from hmmmmm J.R. Tolkien. He was responsible for my return to reading back in high school. There have been others I have liked over the years, King, Feist, Rice, Asimov...etc but I hold a special fondness for that old Master.

I forgot to mention Robin Cook. Medical thriller author. :) I seem to have a thing for authors who are in a specific profession and use their knowledge in their writing.

Lovepotion69 said:
Favourite authors?

the guy who writes the Narnia series. Gosh, I love those books!

C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors, also. :)

I actually bought hardbacks of Stephen Lawhead's novels after I had bought the paperbacks.... And I'm cheap. :eek:

:rose: b

Back