Words

Thank you, Homer! I guess I wasn't completely off, then, although "less likely". Here's the complete thing for those of you who are lazy:

dildo - 1593, perhaps a corruption of It. deletto "delight," or (less likely) of Eng. diddle.

diddle - 1806, "to cheat, swindle," from dial. duddle, diddle "to totter." Meaning "to have sex with" is from 1879; that of "to masturbate" (especially of women) is from 1950s.

In the mean time, I finished reading that book, which I highly recommend it to all of you. Other dildic expressions that stuck with me include:

'...she had a massive dildungsroman installed in her butt.'
and
'...felt the thick steadfast dilderstatesman issuing official pleasure-briefings down her legs...'

Hey Lauren! Isn't portuguese a romance language as well? Is there a similar word to deletto in portuguese? Babelfish gives me 'prazer' for 'delight', but 'delicioso' for 'delightful'. Can that be right, or is it a glitch? 'Prazer' looks somehow german to me.

Well if deletto could be the origins of the word dildo, why not deleite?

It could be the Portuguese after all!

Theoretically yes, but I'm here saying both words, pronuncing them in italian and in portuguese and I can almost perceive a possible transition from deletto to dildo, but I can't do it with deleite that easily.

deletto > deledo > deldo > dildo

deleite (noun) is a regressive derivation from deleitar (verb - to delight) (from latin delectare)

Last edited:
karmadog said:
Interesting fact #3

Burthens of dildos and fadings, 'jump her and thump

The Winter's Tale: IV, iv
Just one last thing before putting the dildos/dildoes/dilda/dildi/dildae to rest. I think everyone should pay more attention to this quote K-dog found for us. It really is interesting:

CLOWN:
He could never come better; he shall come in. I
love a ballad but even too well, if it be doleful
matter merrily set down, or a very pleasant thing
indeed and sung lamentably.

SERVANT:
He hath songs for man or woman, of all sizes; no
milliner can so fit his customers with gloves: he
has the prettiest love-songs for maids; so without
bawdry, which is strange; with such delicate
burthens of dildos and fadings, 'jump her and thump
her;' and where some stretch-mouthed rascal would,
as it were, mean mischief and break a foul gap into
the matter, he makes the maid to answer 'Whoop, do me
no harm, good man;' puts him off, slights him, with
'Whoop, do me no harm, good man.'

POLIXENES:
This is a brave fellow.

I think in Elizabethan english, the word 'dildo' meant something like 'popular song', but I cannot say for sure.

Odd how both meanings fit though, isn't it?

Newt

..hey, I just like the word.

and I don't feel like studying for finals.

HomerPindar

Back