Writing exercises discussion thread

If the 'guess the author' game gets played again, it should probably be attenuated somewhat. Having 18 snippets all at once is kind of too much, both from a management standpoint and a reading/guessing standpoint (if it's going to be a regular thing, anyway). Even at only 250-500 words each, when combined they'd be the equivalent of two or three Lit pages of content to sort through.
Releasing them in smaller batches, say four or five at a time once a week or so (or whenever enough have been submitted), might help to encourage wider participation.
And make the guessing more possible. Maybe pick each batch of four or five to be very different styles.

I'll suggest one that might be a little out there.

Preach/speech

Have your character give a sermon based on whatever the characters beliefs are, or some type of motivational fire them up type speech.

Preach/speech

Have your character give a sermon based on whatever the characters beliefs are, or some type of motivational fire them up type speech.
That would make a very interesting exercise!

Fun things I've participated in here in the past-

Cardinal Sins of Writing (that one was lots of fun), random assignment of stuff like alliteration, purple prose, lack of description, all dialogue, etc. Basically everything you're not supposed to do shoved into 1000 words or less.

Chain Stories- those got a little wild, one person would write a paragraph or two, the next person would pick it up- lots of trolling occurred.

Themed stories- everyone got a general list of what had to be included, we all wrote a story and posted it. The one I remember best (because I still have the story) was Halloween based, and had to include a monster, a carnival/amusement park aspect, a physical deformity, and kleptomania

I think we also did a Celebrity series, but we used each other as the celebs? AH Fantasies. That one went all over the place and was all in good fun.

So, it's been a fortnight since the last Writing Exercise. Who feels like setting up a new one?

I could do it, but it would probably lean towards E&V again. I thought this time I'd just watch... *Heavy breathing*
Can't promise I'll participate, work just got real busy, but I'd like to see it.

So, it's been a fortnight since the last Writing Exercise. Who feels like setting up a new one?

I could do it, but it would probably lean towards E&V again. I thought this time I'd just watch... *Heavy breathing*
A girl from a small town, lonely and bored, takes the midnight train, with no particular destination in mind other than 'adventure'.

A girl from a small town, lonely and bored, takes the midnight train, with no particular destination in mind other than 'adventure'.
She meets a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit....

for a smile, they can share the night.

I'm starting a new thread so as not to clutter up the existing ones.

I get the impression that people enjoy doing them, although perhaps there might be a bit of burnout after @nice90sguy's epic undertaking. But I don't want to make them "my" thing. If nothing else, there'd be too much emphasis on E&V, as @Bamagan noted in the other thread.

Perhaps we could make this a weekly thing, with someone volunteering to write a prompt. Maybe go through the Lit categories one by one, so that everyone gets to indulge their kink.

Any other suggestions?
I thought I'd be done with that story about Ellie overhearing her neighbors Don and Val, but I'm still working on it. It's not that long; it's just that I'm a slow writer. :unsure: Ellie (Ellen Resnick), age 41, narrates it. I hope it lives up to expectations.

Preach/speech

There's plenty that can be done with that!

P.S: I wonder what sin that guy at the end did every day.

Last edited:
The last Writing Exercise was nearly three weeks ago. Is anyone up for a new one?

The last one didn't get as many responses as the others (6, as opposed to 15-20), but I think that was inherent in the challenge: "write a kink you don't have". By definition that puts up a barrier.

Or alternatively everyone but me is sick of these things. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

The last Writing Exercise was nearly three weeks ago. Is anyone up for a new one?

The last one didn't get as many responses as the others (6, as opposed to 15-20), but I think that was inherent in the challenge: "write a kink you don't have". By definition that puts up a barrier.

Or alternatively everyone but me is sick of these things. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
I'm still very much into them.

Back