Your Best Title Ever

Best title for whom?

Best titles for me, are those that are not a post-construction, but a phrase that inspires what I then write. These poems started with the title, and grew from there. The title encompasses the whole idea. The ones when I have to think up a title afterwards never feels as right.

Here are a handful that I like:

The Organic Architect
The Girl With The Ego Lego
Coffee Break Fuck Poem
Laina spun a star well tale
(When I don’t write poetry) I dream of Elvis

I have no idea if they're very clever of useful for the readers. Or if they maybe say too much.

Best title for whom?

Best titles for me, are those that are not a post-construction, but a phrase that inspires what I then write. These poems started with the title, and grew from there. The title encompasses the whole idea. The ones when I have to think up a title afterwards never feels as right.

Here are a handful that I like:

The Organic Architect
The Girl With The Ego Lego
Coffee Break Fuck Poem
Laina spun a star well tale
(When I don’t write poetry) I dream of Elvis

I have no idea if they're very clever of useful for the readers. Or if they maybe say too much.

Rofllll@ The Ego Lego
you made my day lol

Perhaps I am being thick here (which is not unusual before anyone else says it!) but surely if you put the title in the body of the poem that defeats the object because it's not going to be eye catching there and you've still got to provide a title in the appropriate box anyway.

I can see 9¾ lines
You'd have to truncate in submission title, but you'd still get full title shown when poem is read. Clever abbreviations might even make title more compeeling ?!

Are you on a laptop or have large fonts?
The box I'm on now shows 4 lines for the first paragraph

You'd have to truncate in submission title, but you'd still get full title shown when poem is read. Clever abbreviations might even make title more compeeling ?!

Are you on a laptop or have large fonts?
The box I'm on now shows 4 lines for the first paragraph

No on a PC and no idea what the fonts are in here is there a default already set? I haven't fiddled with anything since I've been here, it's men that fiddle with things and then moan at the machine

No on a PC and no idea what the fonts are in here is there a default already set? I haven't fiddled with anything since I've been here, it's men that fiddle with things and then moan at the machine

Annie, that last line belongs in a poem.

:D

Does it? No disrespect but you have weird ideas for poems lol but just wait something even weirder is about to be submittted!

Sweety!!

I take that as a compliment:D I guess I try to see beauty and poetry in odd places because my life is so bland right now. You have whetted my appetite and I will be looking for your "weird" poem!

:heart:

what I was thinking was about how my Dad and hubby would work on cars, lawn mowers and other machines. I'd hear them moan and cuss even when the work was going the "right" way. It reminded me of those type situations. and when they were done, they would act like it was nothing, lol.

Last edited:
Moan and more. May swear at computers more than anything else. Surely you've heard:
To err is human, it takes a computer to really screw things up.

whore frost - a collection i'm kinda working on

in the arms of morpheus

rainlight

the magnetism of geopoetry

temples and towers

Other poets' work:

St. Catherine of Ciena To Mary-Kate Olson
The Emperor Is A Drag-King (<---Tarot Reference)
~Marty McConnell

Allegory of The Black Man At Work In A Synagogue (<--nominated for being so specifically literal)
"The Tragicomedy of the Black-Boy Blues (or) A Hip-Hop Nigretto (or) The Boy Became Black At JFK"
~Roger Bonair-Agard

Still Electric
~B. Dolan

Unsolicited advice to adolescent girls with crooked teeth and pink hair
~JeanAnn Verlee

My own titles:

After I say, "I think it's sad that in zombie movies, no one has ever addressed the issue of abortion." (Later discarded, as I made that a line in the poem when I rewrote it)

things i may or may not have said to your children (In that list: "Go ask your mother what "Retroactive Abortion" means."

Locust and Bone

The Only Way To Love This is With A Gun In Your Mouth

I really like to write long titles.

Last edited:
Locust and Bone

man, that's a title to catch the attention

titles are very important, imo, when it comes to poetry... more so than novels, I'd say, at least for me. Once you know the writer, then they become less so - but scrolling through a list of poems that might be posted and looking to be read, it'll be the strange/oblique title that grabs my attention first. Sadly, many poems then don't live up to the expectations their titles have managed to create :)

sigh
you win some, you lose some

Fits and starts. I'm in a slump, right now, because I wrote too much at the beginning of the year. I have a lengthy incubation period for the stuff I feel serious about, and I burned a lot of it up around January. Letting everything simmer, for the most part, these days. Still, I've knocked out about ten or twelve good poems for the scripty I'm putting together. I think I'll pick up seriously writing again in November, try to finish by the beginning of Write Bloody and Destructible Heart's collective reading periods.

Easy, Anna, yes, there was a reason. You were naive. This is a poor title, and even a poor phrase in general, with its "It is" and "I am". Try harder. Apply "rusted+blind", and get a good one.

Regards,

I vote that she changes it to, "It is rusted, I am blind, Senna is still an asshole".

Love and Rockets,
~D.A.

I vote that she changes it to, "It is rusted, I am blind, Senna is still an asshole".

Love and Rockets,
~D.A.

I like the phrase, but I move for "Not to be trusted, he is blind, Senna is still a rusted asshole"

Back