A September Carol

Last week I didn't get the garbage can in the garage quick enough (i.e. days) and a monarch pupa appeared on the lip. This week the garbage has to be put out at 5:30 a.m. so the raccoons don't rip open the bags because I can't use the can until the butterfly emerges.
 
Another hatched. We had two sunning themselves this morning on our panicle, the one who adopted our yard chair and another from an unknown location. All girls so far…

IMG_4300.jpeg
 
I trust that you're playing recordings of "How to Speak Spanish" to prepare them for their migration.

"Soy un butterfly. Butterfly. Con less wingos flappyos. BUTTERFLY. No hablas Espanglish?"
 
I trust that you're playing recordings of "How to Speak Spanish" to prepare them for their migration.

"Soy un butterfly. Butterfly. Con less wingos flappyos. BUTTERFLY. No hablas Espanglish?"
Pero por supuesto les estamos hablando en español.
 
I trust that you're playing recordings of "How to Speak Spanish" to prepare them for their migration.

"Soy un butterfly. Butterfly. Con less wingos flappyos. BUTTERFLY. No hablas Espanglish?"

Sounds like me, trying to converse with the servers at our usual lunch place. They actually appreciate my high-school-level attempts where I've forgotten so much vocabulary it's embarrasing. Va-vamos-vamanos seems to be my limit these days. We laugh about one server not understanding that C wanted butter to dip her broccoli florets into, and I had to translate to "mantequilla" for them.

25 years ago we had one pupate on our deck railing. When it finally emerged, we happened to be watching it spread and dry its wings, preparing for flight. It took off under our watchful eyes, descend into our backyard, and immediately fly... into our dog's waiting maw. Tragi-funny.
 
Back
Top