ArcticAvenue
Randomly Pawing At Keys
- Joined
- Jul 16, 2013
- Posts
- 1,650
The heavy doors swung outward to open up the grand parlor. Tomas took two steps forward to enter the room before dropping to his knee the first time. Adorned with a purple and silver tunic, ceremonial saber slung at his waist, his dress was that of when the Royal Court of Blackwood was in session. Since he was to meet with his King of Blackwood the attire was a necessity. Walking slowly across the parlor, Tomas moved with the dignity and strength from his life of military training. It seemed in contrast to the older, slouched man in front of him. The king, draped in purple robes himself, sat at a large table stooped over documents. He read and worked, ignoring the entrance of the young handsome man. Not until Tomas reached the front of the table and knelt again did the King suggest he was aware of any other man in the room.
“Arise,” the King said. “Soon enough, my son, you will kneel for none; they will kneel for you.”
Tomas did as he was commanded and stood at attention. “You asked for me, Your Majesty?”
The king finished writing one last item. “I did. I must speak to you about your assessention.”
Tomas nodded at the pleasantry. “Maybe someday, Father. You have a long life ahead of you to be our King, and many enemies to defeat. Until that day, I can only hope to learn how gain the respect of your people to deserve that they would kneel for me.”
“It comes sooner than you think,” he replied.
Tomas’s eyes grew. “You are ill, milord?”
“No, no. But the rest, all of ti comes sooner than you think. One of our greatest enemies has agreed to terms, and with it must come other changes as well.”
Toman’s eyebrow raised. “You do not mean, the Thrustra have given up? They are barbaric.”
“They are hungry. Barbaric, yes, but they had to choose between continuing a war against us or allowing their people to return to their farms & feed their children.”
Tomas considered this for a moment. As long as he can remember, the war against the tribe Thrustra ruled the consciousness of the people of Blackwood. They didn’t fight with dignity and protocol like a traditional army; they fought with brutality. Savages were they all. “I suspect trickery, your lordship. Do they just lay down arms to rise up when we don’t protect our borders.”
The King smirked, “would you think I did not suspect something myself? They are the hungry ones though, are they not? Do you remember that I told you a thief would never steal from his own home? ”
Tomas turned his head. “You intend to make their tribe dependant on our kingdom?”
“I intend to make their tribe part of our Kingdom, that is part of the agreement.” The King pulled forth a document and slid it across the table. “In the coming days, we will receive visitors from The Thrustra; one of which is Lady Zarathustra. At the next full moon, you will take her hand as your bride, at which time their land will become rightfully ours.”
Tomas read the document slowly, but the words were not registering. He was to be married. Not one that he has courted or chosen himself, but an arrangement. “They agree to this?”
“Yes.”
“Willingly?”
The king let out a long sigh, “I had to make one concession. Their King, Zimberthrustra, father of your bride, he is a petty and bitter man. This treaty, it will mean that he must give up his crown. He agreed only if it meant I gave up mine as well. So the day you are married will also be your coronation.”
Tomas lost himself in thought. Lost himself in that moment.
“I know this must be much for you,” the King said. “You enter this room nothing more than a boy, and when you leave your steps away from the throne and marriage.”
Tomas tried to snap himself into acceptance. “I serve you dutifully, your majesty. I will follow your wishes with all the grace and dignity that one should have.”
The king laughed, “Good. Let’s just hope your Queen will show half as much.”
“Arise,” the King said. “Soon enough, my son, you will kneel for none; they will kneel for you.”
Tomas did as he was commanded and stood at attention. “You asked for me, Your Majesty?”
The king finished writing one last item. “I did. I must speak to you about your assessention.”
Tomas nodded at the pleasantry. “Maybe someday, Father. You have a long life ahead of you to be our King, and many enemies to defeat. Until that day, I can only hope to learn how gain the respect of your people to deserve that they would kneel for me.”
“It comes sooner than you think,” he replied.
Tomas’s eyes grew. “You are ill, milord?”
“No, no. But the rest, all of ti comes sooner than you think. One of our greatest enemies has agreed to terms, and with it must come other changes as well.”
Toman’s eyebrow raised. “You do not mean, the Thrustra have given up? They are barbaric.”
“They are hungry. Barbaric, yes, but they had to choose between continuing a war against us or allowing their people to return to their farms & feed their children.”
Tomas considered this for a moment. As long as he can remember, the war against the tribe Thrustra ruled the consciousness of the people of Blackwood. They didn’t fight with dignity and protocol like a traditional army; they fought with brutality. Savages were they all. “I suspect trickery, your lordship. Do they just lay down arms to rise up when we don’t protect our borders.”
The King smirked, “would you think I did not suspect something myself? They are the hungry ones though, are they not? Do you remember that I told you a thief would never steal from his own home? ”
Tomas turned his head. “You intend to make their tribe dependant on our kingdom?”
“I intend to make their tribe part of our Kingdom, that is part of the agreement.” The King pulled forth a document and slid it across the table. “In the coming days, we will receive visitors from The Thrustra; one of which is Lady Zarathustra. At the next full moon, you will take her hand as your bride, at which time their land will become rightfully ours.”
Tomas read the document slowly, but the words were not registering. He was to be married. Not one that he has courted or chosen himself, but an arrangement. “They agree to this?”
“Yes.”
“Willingly?”
The king let out a long sigh, “I had to make one concession. Their King, Zimberthrustra, father of your bride, he is a petty and bitter man. This treaty, it will mean that he must give up his crown. He agreed only if it meant I gave up mine as well. So the day you are married will also be your coronation.”
Tomas lost himself in thought. Lost himself in that moment.
“I know this must be much for you,” the King said. “You enter this room nothing more than a boy, and when you leave your steps away from the throne and marriage.”
Tomas tried to snap himself into acceptance. “I serve you dutifully, your majesty. I will follow your wishes with all the grace and dignity that one should have.”
The king laughed, “Good. Let’s just hope your Queen will show half as much.”
Last edited: