Classic v Modern porn

Onceuponatime1972

Really Experienced
Joined
Apr 5, 2026
Posts
139
Let's be honest, modern porn is shit. Yeah it caters for EVERY taste, but there is zero attempt at art, it's just people fucking. Old skool porn whilst poorly acted, at least attempted to build a story that led up to the sex.
What are your thoughts?
 
This is a worthy debate.

For my "two cents", I think it seems you're far more likely to see a female actually have a real orgasm in today's/"modern" porn. And even though there's a lot less story line, film production, etc, today's porn can be (and surprisingly often is) more "authentic". However, with all the technology now at people's disposal, which the "classic era" could only have dreamt of having, seeing shitty porn is more galling and unacceptable in today's port.

On the "classic" side, things there can seem comical (unintentionally in most cases). However, films like "The Devil In Miss Jones" and "Behind The Green Door" are actually good films besides the fact that they also happen to be porn. I mean, if there is a Hell, I submit that one of the most accurate cinematic depictions of what Hell might actually be like is found in "The Devil In Miss Jones".
 
Film will always have a luxuriousness that gazillion-K video cannot provide. (The digitalization of the archives is a necessary evil.)

Where modern porn shines is in the amateur or RL space. The verité of video works well when you want to be a voyeur or imagining yourself waiting in line.

Modern porn is shinola (at best) when it tries to copy the elegance, the seductiveness of Golden Age work. It comes across as so clumsy and amateurish (in the worst way, after all, these are paid performances and cinematography) as to be unwatchable.

The Golden Age stuff (at least the American) suffered from a reliance on a really quite small number of performers. The emergence of a new starlet was noteworthy!

There's a National Film Registry--the great works of American cinema--in a different universe Kay Parker's "Taboo" would be included. By not a great but discernible margin it is the most-mentioned film when "memorable" is the discussion. Likewise, I doubt the future will ever provide another Christy Canyon or Peter North (and not just for his "output"--he was/is genuinely handsome according to the women I've spoken to). Their work together was Astaire-Rogers in the key of "X."

A few words about foreign porn, particularly British, French, Italian and German.

If there is a feature-length British porno, I've never stumbled on it and I would be grateful for a title to search for. The French, for all their reputation as constantly copulating, well it's "meh"--it's been years since a French movie showed unprotected intercourse. To me, that's a buzzkill I cannot abide. Hire some married couples if you have to but creampies are real and some of us want to see them.

The Germans produce a greater Euro-volume of regular people porn than they do cars, I think. It would be wonderful if I understood the language because dialogue is essential to good porn and these might as well be silent movies for me.

Which brings us to Italy. So far as anyone is still producing high-quality porn, it's them. God bless them,every one. There are story lines, there are costumes (or at least clothes) that stay on a bit before being needfully shed. The women are beautiful, with obviously skillfully-done makeup and hair. And I think I may have seen one or two but no more Italian penises confined in latex.

Yes, of course, Denmark and Sweden were famous in their day (and I fear much of their work has been lost to degradation of film stock and simply reels being stored (hidden) and lost. That's a pity.

But not nearly the pity Japanese porn is. Japanese pornographers are endlessly creative, shameless even (meant non-perjoratively). Bukkake, gokkun, futanari, the list goes on. They own gold, silver AND bronze (platinum and tin as well) in schoolgirl porn. But their censorship laws are deadly (or deadening). JAXA can never be NASA (or SpaceX) if you can't show the rocket or ignition nor the splashdown zone.

I'm an opinionated sod, I know. But since my wife died 13 years ago and we had barely touched middle age, I've had a lot of time and um, interest, to work through. Plenty of opportunities to "research" and "laboratory test" so I stand by my opinions as well-founded.
 
Film will always have a luxuriousness that gazillion-K video cannot provide. (The digitalization of the archives is a necessary evil.)

Where modern porn shines is in the amateur or RL space. The verité of video works well when you want to be a voyeur or imagining yourself waiting in line.

Modern porn is shinola (at best) when it tries to copy the elegance, the seductiveness of Golden Age work. It comes across as so clumsy and amateurish (in the worst way, after all, these are paid performances and cinematography) as to be unwatchable.

The Golden Age stuff (at least the American) suffered from a reliance on a really quite small number of performers. The emergence of a new starlet was noteworthy!

There's a National Film Registry--the great works of American cinema--in a different universe Kay Parker's "Taboo" would be included. By not a great but discernible margin it is the most-mentioned film when "memorable" is the discussion. Likewise, I doubt the future will ever provide another Christy Canyon or Peter North (and not just for his "output"--he was/is genuinely handsome according to the women I've spoken to). Their work together was Astaire-Rogers in the key of "X."

A few words about foreign porn, particularly British, French, Italian and German.

If there is a feature-length British porno, I've never stumbled on it and I would be grateful for a title to search for. The French, for all their reputation as constantly copulating, well it's "meh"--it's been years since a French movie showed unprotected intercourse. To me, that's a buzzkill I cannot abide. Hire some married couples if you have to but creampies are real and some of us want to see them.

The Germans produce a greater Euro-volume of regular people porn than they do cars, I think. It would be wonderful if I understood the language because dialogue is essential to good porn and these might as well be silent movies for me.

Which brings us to Italy. So far as anyone is still producing high-quality porn, it's them. God bless them,every one. There are story lines, there are costumes (or at least clothes) that stay on a bit before being needfully shed. The women are beautiful, with obviously skillfully-done makeup and hair. And I think I may have seen one or two but no more Italian penises confined in latex.

Yes, of course, Denmark and Sweden were famous in their day (and I fear much of their work has been lost to degradation of film stock and simply reels being stored (hidden) and lost. That's a pity.

But not nearly the pity Japanese porn is. Japanese pornographers are endlessly creative, shameless even (meant non-perjoratively). Bukkake, gokkun, futanari, the list goes on. They own gold, silver AND bronze (platinum and tin as well) in schoolgirl porn. But their censorship laws are deadly (or deadening). JAXA can never be NASA (or SpaceX) if you can't show the rocket or ignition nor the splashdown zone.

I'm an opinionated sod, I know. But since my wife died 13 years ago and we had barely touched middle age, I've had a lot of time and um, interest, to work through. Plenty of opportunities to "research" and "laboratory test" so I stand by my opinions as well-founded.
Well put and so sorry about your wife. ❤️
 
I admit to being partial to the Golden Age mid-70's porn. The only thing I like now is true amateur porn. My partner was quite partial to John Leslie as an actor and director at that time.
Hard to find good amateur porn. Where you find some?
 
Feel like old school porn had less freedom (between getting squeezed between the FBI and the Mafia), was way more racist, but the actresses seemed to have more charisma and passion.

However modern porn is more laser-focused on giving the customer what they want; old school porn was more story-driven, but not necessarily very creative - occasionally, old school porn would do something like sneak a she-male into what you thought was going to be a straight scene or something else, like an enema scene.

For a long time, these decisions perplexed me, but in hindsight, I think that because early porn audience's went to theaters to watch, a guy who was into stuff like she-males or enemas, could repeatedly go to a "straight" movie that had that kind of scene and not risk being seen as a weirdo in addition to being a pervert.

I think OG porn companies/directors did stuff like that to try and widen their net.
 
i think he has old timers now
Back in the day, in interviews, porn actresses said they loved the guy; "he's so funny on set", "he's a big teddy bear", etc.

In recent years, OG porn actresses have been saying how they hated working with him.

I feel like the latter is closer to the truth, so I guess I don't have as much sympathy.
 
Back in the day, in interviews, porn actresses said they loved the guy; "he's so funny on set", "he's a big teddy bear", etc.

In recent years, OG porn actresses have been saying how they hated working with him.

I feel like the latter is closer to the truth, so I guess I don't have as much sympathy.
Back in the day, if actresses wanted to stay in the business they had to not complain or be blacklisted. I would suspect that RJ is just a terrible individual.
 
Back in the day, in interviews, porn actresses said they loved the guy; "he's so funny on set", "he's a big teddy bear", etc.

In recent years, OG porn actresses have been saying how they hated working with him.

I feel like the latter is closer to the truth, so I guess I don't have as much sympathy.

i guess times have changed since then for the old school xxx stars from the old days

but yeah i think now since the mid 2010s ron jeremy has old timers aka alztiners aka being forget fullness
 
When I started watching porn it was all on 8mm cine film. It was universally awful. I've enjoyed watching the quality of production improve but I've never really got into the fictional story line porn, whether it's the old professional classics of the "Deepthroat" or "Debbie Does Dallas" variety no matter how well acted, directed and produced. I've always had a preference for the amateur home made variety, showing real people doing what they enjoy. In fact, for it to get me turned on I need to be convinced that it is real people doing their thing, as opposed to actors playing a role and being directed.
 
Back
Top