Claymore and Dagger (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I do know tha', an' I appreciate it more'n I can say... And tha's why if Da asks me properly... I'll accept th'throne. It probably won' happen too soon, but when it does... I think I can 'andle it."
 
"You're a good and honest man, Sam. I think you'll do beautifully as king." Fiona said softly with a smile towards him. "Even if you do infuriate me from time to time."
 
Sam's simple answer was a kiss, ever a man of action over words. He sat back against the tree with Fiona in his lap, simply holding her for a long moment.
 
Fiona's head rested against his shoulder with a soft sigh, simply enjoying the moment with Sam. If the war continued on and got worse, these moments would get harder and harder to come by.
 
By the time they returned to the keep, it was well past noon and the keep was quiet and calm though everyone seemed to be working with the war threatening the isles. Ciaran and Justin were together in the main hall, Justin mending a uniform jacket and Ciaran holding Dana in one arm while he went over some documents with Kell and Kate.
 
Kate looked exhausted, but she had insisted in being involved in every single step of the war plan. She was sitting with her feet propped up, listening to Ciaran as he explained to her what had come in the documents. Little Dana was dressed in a lovely little white gown, wrapped in her blanket that she had been given by Hara. The little wolf was quietly watching Ciaran, not uttering a peep.

"She's a little young for war, isn't she?" Fiona answered as she and Sam joined them at the table.

"Da started us all just as young, held in his arms while he did his work to give Ma some time to sleep." Kate commented with a smile towards Sam and Ciaran, knowing that they had memories just the same as her.
 
"Well this part of my job doesn't require both hands, so I didn't see the need to leave Dana out. And she's yet to fuss about anything," Ciaran smiled down at the little cub.
 
"Did you make her gown, Justin? It's beautiful." Fiona asked as Ciaran stared down at his daughter with a completely smitten glance.

"He's already promised to make our child all of their clothes for the first year. I intend to keep him busy." Kate said softly as she placed her hand on top of Kell's, glad that the talk had grown a little bit lighter.
 
"Ma and I worked on it together," Justin nodded with a smile, chuckling at Kate. "Knowing you, Kate, it'll be more than their first year."

Kell wrapped his arm around Kate with a small smile of his own. "Most likely."
 
"I'm too busy to worry about dressing a baby." Kate said with a shrug of her shoulders. "It's simply easier if someone else takes care of it for me."
 
"I suppose I can add that to keeping this troublemaker's uniforms mended," Justin nodded, giving Ciaran a little nudge.
 
When Justin gave Ciaran and nudge, little Dana wrinkled her brow for a moment before she gave a mighty stretch. Her little hands stretched above her head and her little feet did the same, fingers and toes splayed wide until she settled back down in Ciaran's arms with a long sigh. Her little eyes were soon closing, drifting back off to sleep as babies were want to do.

"I can watch her for a while if the three of you want to talk." Fiona offered, looking at Sam and Kate. "I know that there are lots of things that need to be planned."
 
"You're a part of this too, Fiona," Kell reminded her. Justin wrapped up his sewing and took Dana.

"I'll take her. She's​ decided she's due for a nap." He kissed Ciaran before disappearing down a side hall.

"We needed your input anyway," Ciaran nodded to Sam and Fiona. "Between the two of you, the only groups you don't lead are outside forces like Edinburgh, and the Rangers. We'll need the dragons soon, and half the Axemen are set to help reinforce Normandy."
 
"Well, if you want to talk about dragons, you need to speak to Ezra. He has much more experience with the dragons than myself and Sam." Fiona mentioned as Justin took Dana away for a nap in her new nursery.
 
"Maybe so, but Sam chose you as our main... Emissary, you could say, to the dragons and their Riders. You have more pull than we do, and the Riders are here voluntarily and can leave anytime they choose. They have no contracts and they serve no one save themselves and who they choose. While those we're dealing with seem to be good people, they could be very fickle if they wanted to be. Dragons cannot be ordered around or claimed as vassals. They do favors for friends, the way I see it. And if we have you to speak to them for us, it will demonstrate our respect for them, that we don't leave them out and just shell out orders," Ciaran explained.

"The Riders we have with us now have loyalties that made them join our side. But there may come Riders who don't have loyalty to anything but coin. Those are the ones we will have to treat carefully, and having a Rider as a go-between would be more respectful of their position than some officer barking orders," Kell added.
 
"Well, as long as they still respect and want to listen to me, then I suppose I will stay in this position." Fiona said as she glanced towards Sam. "They might respect someone else more."
 
"As I've heard from them, you have a particular respect because of who trained you. Apparently our Rider friends deeply revere your Russian mentors Dmitri and Xenia," Kell explained. "And my sources tell me that they're fairly widely known and respected. You have a bit of a step up thanks to them."
 
"I never even completed my training." Fiona commented, knowing that she wouldn't win the fight over who should lead the riders.
 
"But you will with master Riders around like Ezra and Danica. Your reputation can only grow," Kell encouraged. "But with it will come dangers. So keep an eye out for yourself and your fellow Riders."
 
"I always will. Especially if Sam keeps insisting that he's going to ride." Fiona said, looking over at Sam with a raised eyebrow. "Nothing I do can convince him otherwise, it seems."
 
"Nope," Sam confirmed, making Ciaran chuckle.

"It's hard to convince Samuel Ghis of anything. I swear he's the worst of us sometimes. Even worse than Kate."

"I could argue against that," Kell commented with a little smile.
 
Kate gave Kell a glance as he mentioned that, pleased with himself at the little jab he had taken at his wife. "Do I need to remind you about our argument last night, Khelt? It's not wise to make a pregnant woman angry."
 
Kell's only answer was a sly little smile that reminded her that argument had ended in bed in his arms, as many of their arguments did once they reached a compromise or understanding.
 
"Don't give me that smile. You can sleep in the stables tonight for all that I care." Kate said, turning her attention back towards her brothers. "What more do we need to plan for by way of supply lines and making sure that people stay safe in the event of a seige."
 
"Fer righ' now," Sam spoke up, "No substantial force can get past England, even by ship. We've got plans set fer evacuation, siege, an' so on if th' fight manages t'reach Scotland itself. Until then, our main concern is holdin' the line at Normandy. We can' send much tha' won' spoil in th'way o'food supplies. The best things we can offer are men, equipment, an' salt t'preserve food."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top