Fangs and Cuffs

Roderick moved behind Amber, the electronics and CD's packed up easily. After the living room they had to move to the bedroom. This would be the worst for her, so Roderick made sure to give her enough space. He could tell what had been moved, the bedding was still in evidence being gone over with a fine tooth comb. He knew the room, had studied it intently via the photographs and when he'd been called to the scene.

Then Amber had to ask that question. It was a damn good question. Something he should have known.

"I don't know. That info went through my partner and last I heard was anonymous, but I'll go over that. I know the first couple were called in by whoever found the bodies. If Vincent wasn't found fast enough it could have been the killer. Again, my partner had much of that information but I'll be sure to get it."

It was a serious gap in his knowledge, mostly because he hated talking with his partner. The guy was such an ass, and always thought he was right. If Roderick had a theory that went contrary to what he thought it was discounted.

"I'm sorry I don't know. Vincent and the one before him were the ones who weren't in easily discovered places. The first ones were pretty public, but it's worth running down as an angle."
 
"I remember locking the door when I left. Vincent would have never have opened the door for anyone he didn't know. A hold over from the streets. Its too convenient for him to have been found the same day just hours after I was here." Amber pushed herself up with a sigh and walked over to his closet. Grabbing his best suit she laid it on the bed. As she pulled the rest of the clothing off Amber took note of everything. At least nothing from here was missing.

When she moved to the laundry basket Amber couldn't stop herself from holding the shirt that was on the top of the pile to her face. Trying to burn the memory of his scent to her mind. She let it drop back to the pile, Amber would make sure it was all washed before the clothing was donated. At his dresser Amber started collecting his jewelry and whatnot. Once more she found something missing. This time Amber didn't pass it off as just being out of place. Almost frantic Amber started tearing through the drawers and jewelry box. Letting out a scream Amber tossed the mahogany box to the ground, not caring that the lid snapped off its hinges as she slammed her hands down on the dresser.
 
Roderick was careful in the bedroom, this was intensely personal for Amber so he wasn't going to intrude. Could the lock have been tampered with, maybe up the window? Too many possibilities, and everything he'd seen hadn't indicated forced entry. Then again there was a difference between forced and someone who knew how to gain entry. Someone with a delicate enough touch could pick the lock. Too many variables.

When Amber became nearly frantic and screamed, throwing down the jewelry box he moved closer to her.

"What's missing?"
 
The laugh that came out of her mouth was somewhere between bitter and hysterical. "When he first moved in Vincent was terrified I would vanish on him like his parents did. I had a locket made and when I gave it to him I told him as long as he had that I would always be with him and that I would always be able to find him. It had our pictures in it as well as twisted lock of his hair and mine. That bastard could have taken anything. Anything at all, but he took that one last piece of him and left me nothing." Amber stepped back from the dresser and shook her head. Coming out early hadn't been the best of ideas to begin with. Even with her sunglasses on and a stomach full of blood and food she was getting a massive headache. Her whole body ached.

"I need some air," Amber left the apartment and went back down to the lobby where she found someplace to sit out of the sunlight. Her body shook with anger and tears as she buried her face in her hands. Before she had wanted the vampire dead, now she wanted him to suffer. Screw the law and justice, Amber was out for blood and for pain. Wiping her face she dug her cellphone out of her pocket and dialed Roman. Of course she got his voicemail, "Roman its Amber. I packed most of Vincent's things but that bastard took stuff. I can't go back in there. His suit is laying on the bed if you could make sure the funeral home gets it I would like that. Also call my Realtor and see about putting this place up for sale." Hanging up Amber shot the doorman a glance, he looked away. Part of her wanted to go over and shake whatever information he had out of him.
 
Last edited:
Roderick listened patiently as Amber vented, then nodded when she headed outside for air. He didn't blame her one bit. He finished packing up the stuff that he knew was nonessential and left the rest to Amber's discretion. He followed her down and found her glaring daggers at the doorman. Deciding that he needed to intervene, he touched Amber gently on the shoulder.

"Go sit down, it'll help."

When she was a few paces away he moved to the doorman. Either the guy had said something, or he was just being an ass. Either way, Roderick was going to have a few words with him. There was a slight sneer in his eyes when Roderick approached, that vanished the instant he flashed his credentials.

"Let's make this easy alright. I've read your statement, and I'm sure you're at least partially full of shit. Someone else came in through this door after Amber left. Someone you didn't know all that well, if at all. He was taller than you, very imposing aura about him, looking him in the eye made you uncomfortable. He probably didn't speak much to you, if at all."

The way the doorman was reacting was more than enough to tell Roderick he was on the right track.

"So you can either give me a description and a time, or I can haul you in for obstruction. And believe it or not that will stick to you, obstructing an investigation like this can fall under special circumstances, that means your personal rights get the same treatment your ass will in prison. I'm offering you a chance to rectify your earlier bullshit without all that hassle."
 
Back
Top