Michael Jordan Comeback - A Cry For Help?

Bob Peale

angeli ribelli
Joined
Sep 4, 1999
Posts
10,535
Well, it's official. El Michael is coming back to professional basketball:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24181-2001Sep25.html

Don't get me wrong, I really do think that he is one of the best to play the sport (I can't say the best, but definitely in the top 3), and the man is a phenomenal athlete, but come on! Not only is he past playing age for the sport, he's not even playing the position that helped showcase his greatness.

I'm convinced that he'd dominate the hell out of any sandbox league in the nation, but the game has moved on.

Personally, I'd rather remember him for what he was.
 
I refuse to watch basketball till they hire more short white guys.
 
I enjoyed watching him play, but I have to shake my head over this.

He's supposed to be returning for the love of the game. Why did he leave in the first place?

It's all about money.
 
To be honest, I don't think it's about money at all. Jordan is already absolutely filthy rich so it's not like he needs a couple more million for his old age.

I really do think it's about love for the game......I reckon he just misses basketball and wants to play again; after all, there are still people out who play because they love the game :)

Unfortunately at his age he won't be the player he was....especially on defense...it's gonna be distressing to watch him get schooled by some of the great young players in the league now.
 
It isn't about the money the new just said he is donating it all to familys from NYC.................
 
that is great

that is going to make it exciting.since he left there are no real guy who can step up.he may make an impact.i think it will take a while for him to get into the groove of things.
 
HARDKOREBJ

I disagree with ya there, I think there are plenty of guys in this league who can step up when the occasion demands it.
 
Wizard said:
It isn't about the money the new just said he is donating it all to familys from NYC.................

while this is teh first thought that came to mind for me, I'm glad to hear it if it is true.

On the other hand, I have lost all respect for the man, after retiring and returning not once, but TWICE. As a player I happen to think that he is one of the best of all time, and the best of MY time, though I'm not a serious basketball fan, so I have lots of respect for what's he's done as player. Come to think of it, I rarely respect any pro athelete for their person lives.

R
 
I think he should stay retired. He's blown up to 240 pounds now. Which means that he has to trim down a bit. I guess somebody had just a little too much Gatorade.
 
From a fans point of view, it'll be sad to see him out there again and get creamed by some of todays biggest and most talented stars. But from a players point of view, I can understand him wanting one more chance to play the game while he can even if he's way past his prime. And if there's a team that is willing to give him that chance and if he really is going to give the money he makes to charity for the NYC victim's, then more power to them if you ask me.
 
AFM

Sure as hell hope not. Then how are we going to find out what happens next week on Raw?


;)
 
lobito said:


while this is teh first thought that came to mind for me, I'm glad to hear it if it is true.

On the other hand, I have lost all respect for the man, after retiring and returning not once, but TWICE. As a player I happen to think that he is one of the best of all time, and the best of MY time, though I'm not a serious basketball fan, so I have lots of respect for what's he's done as player. Come to think of it, I rarely respect any pro athelete for their person lives.

R

It is true, but there are a couple of things you have to understand.

His salary is only $1 million. At his peak, his salary was only $3 million a year - he made his money from endorsements - on average $60 - $70 million a year, with a couple of $300 million+ years (I know this as fact, incontestably).

I read recently that a couple of guys really crave the spotlight, and hate the feeling of no longer being "a part of it all". That seems more at play here than anything else.
 
Michael Jordan comeback

Cry for help?

Playing for the Washington Wizards it soon will be.:D
 
If Jordan is only half the player he was when he last retired, the Wizards might make the play offs---the man was a dominating force like no other...
 
I know his delimma

I retired from competition and missed it greatly. After once year of sitting on the sideline, I was beside myself.

I went to a competition in Oklahoma during my first retirement as a favor to a mentor and ended up going off on the poor quality of the contestants (winning myself a ton of friends - a lot like here at Lit). I reflected on that for some time and then came back the next year and won the event, to put my money where my mouth was beating men easliy half my age.

This year when I go back, hopefully I will have established the right to tell them that they need to step up a bit.

IMHO
 
I must admit that I was Never a Jordan fan

However, I am a fan of the game. I respected mike for all that he did on the court. The way he left the game by making the last shot and having his hand in the air was classic. Now, It's all for nought. Sorry Michael, I wish you had stayed retired.

IMHO


kgboot
 
Back
Top