Music for Going Down

I can't help with song titles in this category, because my muciscal life (which has been extensive) has been ursurped by classical and Broadway, but this thread is timely, because I was doing the dishes last night and the radio station that was on started playing a song that I had hot and memorable sex to--and I realized that there are some songs that play in the background and latch me right into glad times. (But, yes, I've done it memorably and on the beat to "Bolero").
 
Steely Dan's Any Major Dude always cheers me up...


I never seen you looking so bad my funky one
You tell me that your superfine mind has come undone

Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again
When the demon is at your door
In the morning it wont be there no more
Any major dude will tell you

Have you ever seen a squonk's tears? well, look at mine
The people on the street have all seen better times

Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again
When the demon is at your door
In the morning it wont be there no more
Any major dude will tell you

I can tell you all I know, the where to go, the what to do
You can try to run but you cant hide from whats inside of you
 
Whatever you do, don't listen to Country & Western. You might decide to commit suicide. For myself, Elvis or Chuck Berry from the fifties or jazz. :cool:
 
There is nothing better than Leonard Cohen

When you're depressed.

Everybody knows, Hallelujah, and about any of his songs including I'm Your Man.

The Lyrics for Everybody Knows.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
Thats how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose
Everybody knows

[Quotation of copyrighted material reduced per our forum guidelines.]
 
Hallelujah

Canadian Indie Singer Allison Crowe performed the Leonard Cohen song Hallelujah in what I've gone so far to call the way it was meant to be sung.

FYI, on my iTunes play count, this song has been played almost twice as often as the nearest contender.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vIMOdVXAPJ0

Hope you enjoy it.
 
depending on what type of down...

either Stevie Ray Vaughan (makes me start thinking about sex instead of being depressed), or Evanescence.
 
911- Wyclef feat. Mary J. Blige

If death comes for me tonight, girl
I want you to know that I loved you
And no matter how tough I wouldn't dare
Only to you I would reveal my tears
So tell the police I ain't home tonight
Messin' around with you is gonna get me life
But when I look into your eyes
(Man)You're worth that sacrifice
If this is the kind of love that my mom used to warn me about
Man, I'm in trouble
I'm in real big trouble
If this is the kind of love that the old folks used to warn me about
Man, I'm in trouble
I'm in real big trouble
I need y'all to do me a favor

Someone please call 911 (pick up the phone yo)
Tell them I just been shot down
and the bullet's, in my heart
And it's piercin through my soul (I'm losin blood yo)
Feel my body gettin cold
Someone please call 911 (pick up the phone yo)
The alleged assailaint, is five foot one
and she shot me through my soul
Feel my body gettin cold

[Mary J. Blige]
So cold
Sometimes I feel like I'm a prisoner
I think I'm trapped here for a while yeah yeah
(but I'm always right here with you girl)
And every breath I fight to take
Is as hard as these four walls I wanna break
I told the cops you wasn't here tonight
Messin' around with me is gonna get you life
Oh yeah, yeah
But everytime I look into your eyes
Then it's worth the sacrifice

[Wyclef]
If this is the kind of love that your mom used to warn you about
Mary, your are in trouble (I am in real Big Trouble)
You're in real big trouble ( Lord Knows I am In trouble)
If this is the kind of love that the old folks used to warn me about
(Everyday Everynight)I'm in trouble (I am in real Big Trouble)
I'm in real big trouble
You got anything to say, girl?

[Mary J. Blige]
Someone please call 911, yeah yeah (pick up the phone yo)
Tell them I just got shot down (Tell them i just got shot down)
And it's piercin through my soul (I'm losin blood yo)
Feel my body gettin cold

[Wyclef]
Someone please call 911 (can you do that for me)
The alleged assailaint, was five foot one
And she shot me through my soul (and he shot me through my heart)
Feel my body gettin cold
(He didn't care, he didn't worry, he didn't wonder..)

Wyclef and Mary J. Blige
I'm feelin you girl
I understand

[Mary J. Blige]
And you're doin, what you're doin, would you do it
and do it and do it and do it for me.
 
Not my favorite version, but it will do.

Oh father dear, I often hear you speak of Erin's isle
Her lofty hills, her valleys green, her mountains rude and wild
You say she is a lovely land wherein a saint might dwell
So why did you abandon her, the reason to me tell.

Oh son, I loved my native land with energy and pride
Until a blight came on the land, my sheep, my cattle died
My rent and taxes went unpaid, I could not them redeem
And that's the cruel reason why I left old Skibbereen.

Oh well do I remember that bleak December day
The landlord and the sheriff came to take us all away
They set my roof on fire with their cursed foreign spleen
I heaved a sigh and bade goodbye to dear old Skibbereen.

Your mother too, God rest her soul, fell on the stony ground
She fainted in her anguish seeing desolation 'round
She never rose but passed away from life to immortal dream
She found a quiet grave, me boy, in dear old Skibbereen.

It's well I do remember the year of forty-eight,
When we arose with Erin's boys to fight against our fate;
I was hunted through the mountains as a traitor to the Queen,
And that's another reason why I left Old Skibbereen

And you were only two years old and feeble was your frame
I could not leave you with my friends for you bore your father's name
I wrapped you in my cota mor in the dead of night unseen
I heaved a sigh and bade goodbye to dear old Skibbereen.

Oh father dear, the day will come when in answer to the call
All Irish men of freedom stern will rally one and all
I'll be the man to lead the band beneath the flag of green
And loud and clear we'll raise the cheer, Revenge for Skibbereen!
 
Music doesn't have a depressing effect on me, sometimes annoying but never depressing.

The one song that almost brings a feeling of wistfulness is Holding Back the Years by Simply Red. There's an ache in his voice and the trumpet that's simply beautiful.
 
Karla Bonoff
Dylan - from when he plugged in till just before he found Jesus!
Crystal Gayle - Brown Eyes Blue, River Road
Jerry Jeff Walker and the Lost Gonzo Band
vintage Jimmy Buffet - Son of a Sailor, A Pirate Looks at Forty
Joan Baez - Miracle album (with Joe Sample on keys)
Mimi and Richard Farina

Basically, anything from the 70's - the era that could have been the stepping stone to something great - but wasn't. It's so much fun dwelling on what might have been.

Plus: Lady in Red (another achy-voiced singer on that one.)
 
I get severe depression from time to time and find wallowing music makes it worse and mood lifting music makes me angry and stressed so I listen to nothing. When my depression first hit me as a teen, I naturally wallowed and listened to Joy Division, which my family later banned because they thought it was responsible.
 
This was the topic of another thread a while ago. On the poetry board, I think. People discussed how they drew inspiration from dark moments, how they wrote as catharsis or tapped directly into angst amnd anger to find energy to write.

I thought they were all nuts. I can't even write a grocery list if I'm on too much of a down note, let alone anything creative.

Longing and resentment can fuel my poetry, but they are far different from depression in my world. Depression is the nothing.

The book Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament is worth a read.
 
Summertime--Janis Joplin


Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky

But till that morning
There's a'nothing can harm you
With daddy and mamma standing by

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry
 
Back
Top