No hot water????

As children my parents lived in the City of London. At that time the City of London was the richest place in the world.

Twenty-eight families shared one outside toilet and a single cold water tap. My mother's family was slightly better off. They had their own tin bath. Four other families shared the tin bath with my father's family. Once filled, that bath water had to wash the whole family.

Both families' apartments were destroyed by a German bomb during World War 1. Their next homes actually had piped cold water inside the houses (but still outside toilets).

At one stage in my life I went to a boarding school that had been a naval establishment during the war. There were enough showers but never enough hot water. The older boys had first use of the showers. By the time the younger ones, including me, were able to use the showers there was only cold water left. That wasn't too bad from April to October but in February?

The shower block had no heating at all.

I HATE cold showers.

Og
 
(Kids don't care - they'll be playing in the water outside all day, anyway. Do kids even need showers in the summer?) :rolleyes:

Wonders if I can give blood or something about 50 times (no clue if or how much that pays) before pay day.

God, this sucks.

I mean, how incredibly discouraging it is, to try and regain some financial ground, only to be slapped back down again.

:(

LOL mom used to let my bro and I skip a day every now and then cause we damned near lived in the pool anyways.

And erm I think its like $20 per bit of plasma you give, and ya can only do it like twice a week
 
I mean, how incredibly discouraging it is, to try and regain some financial ground, only to be slapped back down again.

:(

I absolutely feel your pain. :rose:

I've had two good career jobs. Each time I was on solid footing for a change, the rug got yanked out from under me. Right now, I'm sinking in debt. I keep going over the budget looking for some way to reduce it, but no miracle has appeared.
 
Anyone want to take a cold shower with me?

I mean, once we get past the teeth-chattering it could get sexual.

Maybe.

:heart:

I volunteer. It may start out cold, but should warm up in no time flat. :devil:

Maybe+two person shower=definite sex where I come from. :kiss:
 
Well, we're negotiating details with Sears right now.

Credit cards. You never have to pay those things back, right?

Dad-in-law is fronting us his card until we get paid. Thank you, Dad.

So it will only be a couple of days rather than a week. We can manage.

Going without hot water is much easier than going without electricity. That's actually happened in more than a few storms.

So - we're dealing. No more bitching. :eek:

Anyone want to take a cold shower with me?

I mean, once we get past the teeth-chattering it could get sexual.

Maybe.

:heart:

Not a question of a doubt.

I'd rather get sweaty and in need of a shower, but you have to take what you're offered.

Ahem.

Sorry you're going through this.

It's so sad to have to swamp out the cellar, too.

All my sympathy, and a bit of my fantasy, too...
 
Are you sure it's broken? Mine has a safety override switch that shuts off the heat when it thinks the water is too hot, which it isn't. After much cursing and one cold shower, I discovered the reset button. I use it a lot. A bit of a hassle, but unlike having the water heater's thermostat repaired, it's free.

Best of luck, Sweets. I know what you mean - that feeling of taking one step forward and two steps back.
 
Not a question of a doubt.

I'd rather get sweaty and in need of a shower, but you have to take what you're offered.

Ahem.

Sorry you're going through this.

It's so sad to have to swamp out the cellar, too.

All my sympathy, and a bit of my fantasy, too...

CDog is back!

[/theadjack]
 
:heart: Thanks, Sher.

Unfortunately, it is the hot water heater itself. It's leaking, it's angry, it hates us.

We found a decent one for a little more than $400, delivery is free, and dad-in-law told us to have them install it. Don't mess with it, he said - he'll pay the $200 they'll charge to install it.

(I'm thinking - hey! We can do it!) But - to not have to worry is a good thing.

Now if it will only arrive?

:)

If not, skip bathing for a day and consider it an opportunity to have really dirty sex.
 
Did you call your homeowners insurance company? They might help with the de-flooding of the basement.
 
SSS

How much did you say that hot water heater is?

When my parents Hot Water Heater blew a couple of years ago I paid $150 for a new one and put it in myself. (It took all of three hours.)

As for dealing without hot water, hell I haven't turned on the hot water in my shower for the past couple of weeks. Might have something to do with the temps being as high as they are.

Went without hot water for quite a while after Frances, Jeane and Wilma. Didn't bother me in the least. We just shifted our showers to the evening.

(A quick wipe with a washcloth in the morning over the pits and crotch kept things civilised.)

Cat
 
Back
Top