Poetry for killing time

Some words to share for those that care
I am far from dead and I am willing to share.
Your words are cheap and shallow at best
Attack and demean me, such a pitiful quest.
You will spout your theories and stories to all
I will step up and answer any and every call.
To those that are traveling I wish you well
I will back you and your own, straight to hell.
To my honey I swear the gods have blessed you
Any man would by lucky to have you, and you know this is true.
One is tempted by life it is fate
I hope you understand this, I trust it isn't to late.
To the color I enjoy, the one in the book
know where I think, you know where I look.
An angel in my eyes, she pictures my mind
her photos are amazing so incredible, so fine.
Avalon is a wonderful product, one I don't doubt
I wonder how many know she is devout.
A sexy wench is always on my mind
She and everyone else, know she is quite the find.
A crazy lady, one whose insanity is more then my own
will drive me crazy and bring me home.
I can't believe that I ever enjoyed that cup of joe
I would have rather died then admit to that I fucked a foe.
In finish, I miss those I love, I care about you more then I know
I hope you have everything you need and I need more then I ever show.
Fuck the men and women that hate
It almost bothers me, that you can't deal with fate
I laugh at your attempts to crush me
If I believed in your god, I would almost pity one such as thee.



:heart:
 
The Future by Rainer Maria Rilke

The future: time's excuse
to frighten us; too vast
a project, too large a morsel
for the heart's mouth.

Future, who won't wait for you?
Everyone is going there.
It suffices you to deepen
the absence that we are.
 
I wait for you...
I try to be silent but it's so hard.
I want to be the one to give you what you need most.
I don't understand and can't explain any of it.
This need, this craving frightens me and thrills me
It awes me more than the most beautiful sunset or night sky
I want to give you everything you ever wanted and more...
Please say you haven't turned from me.
I don't know that I could bear it.
Being apart from you is already like a physical pain...
The material things in life are of no consequence...
Only you...
Only you...
And my tears fall as I wait for you...
Only you...
 
Alone
by: Edgar Allen Poe

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I loved, I loved alone.
Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
Of a most stormy life- was drawn
From every depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that round me rolled
In its autumn tint of gold,
From the lightning in the sky
As it passed me flying by,
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.
 
Alone
by: Edgar Allen Poe

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I loved, I loved alone.
Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
Of a most stormy life- was drawn
From every depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that round me rolled
In its autumn tint of gold,
From the lightning in the sky
As it passed me flying by,
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.

Wonderful Glo thank you for sharing! :)
 
Such a trickster the universe is.
How clever it is with my karmic lesson
Because I chose to hide from love before
Now it hides from me.

For once I am on the opposite side of the glass
Is this what he felt?
My friend who I shut out the door.
The he to whom I could never give what he needed most

If this is what he felt because I could not love,
Then I deserve my punishment
 
Last edited:
If everything is everything,
and all that can be, is,
then where is that thing
that isn't?

The Buddha said
If you seek it
you will not find it.
Fuck you, Buddha.
 
Meeting the British

We met the British in the dead of winter.
The sky was lavender

and the snow lavender-blue.
I could hear, far below,

the sound of two streams coming together
(both were frozen over)

and, no less strange,
myself calling out in French

across that forest-
clearing. Neither General Jeffrey Amherst

nor Colonel Henry Bouquet
could stomach our willow-tobacco.

As for the unusual
scent when the Colonel shook out his hand-

kerchief: C'est la lavande,
une fleur mauve comme le ciel.

They gave us six fishhooks
and two blankets embroidered with smallpox.

-- Paul Muldoon
 
The Black Lace Fan My Mother Gave Me
~Eavan Boland~

It was the first gift he ever gave her,
buying it for five five francs in the Galeries
in pre-war Paris. It was stifling.
A starless drought made the nights stormy.

They stayed in the city for the summer.
The met in cafes. She was always early.
He was late. That evening he was later.
They wrapped the fan. He looked at his watch.

She looked down the Boulevard des Capucines.
She ordered more coffee. She stood up.
The streets were emptying. The heat was killing.
She thought the distance smelled of rain and lightning.

These are wild roses, appliqued on silk by hand,
darkly picked, stitched boldly, quickly.
The rest is tortoiseshell and has the reticent clear patience
of its element. It is
a worn-out, underwater bullion and it keeps,
even now, an inference of its violation.
The lace is overcast as if the weather
it opened for and offset had entered it.

The past is an empty cafe terrace.
An airless dusk before thunder. A man running.
And no way to know what happened then—
none at all—unless ,of course, you improvise:

The blackbird on this first sultry morning,
in summer, finding buds, worms, fruit,
feels the heat. Suddenly she puts out her wing—
the whole, full, flirtatious span of it.
 
This one felt right for Lit. It's Gregory Corso, the only "beat" poet that wasn't up himself.

Marriage

Should I get married? Should I be Good?
Astound the girl next door with my velvet suit and faustaus hood?
Don't take her to movies but to cemeteries
tell all about werewolf bathtubs and forked clarinets
then desire her and kiss her and all the preliminaries
and she going just so far and I understanding why
not getting angry saying You must feel! It's beautiful to feel!
Instead take her in my arms lean against an old crooked tombstone
and woo her the entire night the constellations in the sky--

When she introduces me to her parents
back straightened, hair finally combed, strangled by a tie,
should I sit knees together on their 3rd degree sofa
and not ask Where's the bathroom?
How else to feel other than I am,
often thinking Flash Gordon soap--
O how terrible it must be for a young man
seated before a family and the family thinking
We never saw him before! He wants our Mary Lou!
After tea and homemade cookies they ask What do you do for a living?
Should I tell them? Would they like me then?
Say All right get married, we're losing a daughter
but we're gaining a son--
And should I then ask Where's the bathroom?

O God, and the wedding! All her family and her friends
and only a handful of mine all scroungy and bearded
just waiting to get at the drinks and food--
And the priest! He looking at me if I masturbated
asking me Do you take this woman for your lawful wedded wife?
And I trembling what to say say Pie Glue!
I kiss the bride all those corny men slapping me on the back
She's all yours, boy! Ha-ha-ha!
And in their eyes you could see some obscene honeymoon going on--

then all that absurd rice and clanky cans and shoes
Niagara Falls! Hordes of us! Husbands! Wives! Flowers! Chocolates!
All streaming into cozy hotels
All going to do the same thing tonight
The indifferent clerk he knowing what was going to happen
The lobby zombies they knowing what
The whistling elevator man he knowing
The winking bellboy knowing
Everybody knowing! I'd be almost inclined not to do anything!
Stay up all night! Stare that hotel clerk in the eye!
Screaming: I deny honeymoon! I deny honeymoon!
running rampant into those almost climatic suites
yelling Radio belly! Cat shovel!
O I'd live in Niagara forever! in a dark cave beneath the Falls
I'd sit there the Mad Honeymooner devising ways to break marriages, a scourge of
bigamy a saint of divorce--

But I should get married I should be good
How nice it'd be to come home to her
and sit by the fireplace and she in the kitchen
aproned young and lovely wanting by baby
and so happy about me she burns the roast beef
and comes crying to me and I get up from my big papa chair
saying Christmas teeth! Radiant brains! Apple deaf!
God what a husband I'd make! Yes, I should get married!
So much to do! like sneaking into Mr Jones' house late at night
and cover his golf clubs with 1920 Norwegian books
Like hanging a picture of Rimbaud on the lawnmower
like pasting Tannu Tuva postage stamps all over the picket fence
like when Mrs Kindhead comes to collect for the Community Chest
grab her and tell her There are unfavorable omens in the sky!
And when the mayor comes to get my vote tell him
When are you going to stop people killing whales!
And when the milkman comes leave him a note in the bottle
Penguin dust, bring me penguin dust, I want penguin dust--

Yet if I should get married and it's Connecticut and snow
and she gives birth to a child and I am sleepless, worn,
up for nights, head bowed against a quiet window, the past behind me,
finding myself in the most common of situations a trembling man
knowledged with responsibility not twig-smear not Roman coin soup--
O what would that be like!
Surely I'd give it for a nipple a rubber Tacitus
For a rattle bag of broken Bach records
Tack Della Francesca all over its crib
Sew the Greek alphabet on its bib
And build for its playpen a roofless Parthenon

No, I doubt I'd be that kind of father
not rural not snow no quiet window
but hot smelly New York City
seven flights up, roaches and rats in the walls
a fat Reichian wife screeching over potatoes Get a job!
And five nose running brats in love with Batman
And the neighbors all toothless and dry haired
like those hag masses of the 18th century
all wanting to come in and watch TV
The landlord wants his rent
Grocery store Blue Cross Gas & Electric Knights of Columbus
Impossible to lie back and dream Telephone snow, ghost parking--
No! I should not get married and I should never get married!
But--imagine if I were to marry a beautiful sophisticated woman
tall and pale wearing an elegant black dress and long black gloves
holding a cigarette holder in one hand and highball in the other
and we lived high up a penthouse with a huge window
from which we could see all of New York and even farther on clearer days
No I can't imagine myself married to that pleasant prison dream--

O but what about love? I forget love
not that I am incapable of love
it's just that I see love as odd as wearing shoes--
I never wanted to marry a girl who was like my mother
And Ingrid Bergman was always impossible
And there maybe a girl now but she's already married
And I don't like men and--
but there's got to be somebody!
Because what if I'm 60 years old and not married,
all alone in furnished room with pee stains on my underwear
and everybody else is married! All in the universe married but me!

Ah, yet well I know that were a woman possible as I am possible
then marriage would be possible--
Like SHE in her lonely alien gaud waiting her Egyptian lover
so I wait--bereft of 2,000 years and the bath of life.
 
The creature curls up.
It lies in the darkness.
It looks for its rock to go back
Back to where it was safe.
Back to where there was no one but it.
It must have only had a dream.
Just a dream of happiness
Because now its gone...
 
This is a quote for killing time.

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."
 
Tomorrow, you will be eight
It seems like so long ago that I dreamt of you
Then you were in my arms.
You have been the light of my life
I have loved every day of getting to know you
Your brilliance astounds me
Your grace humbles me
And I am proud to be your mother

I hope you stay strong enough to know your own mind
You fight me when I am wrong
You make your own way
You create and dream and I respect your talents
Your compassion astounds me
Your wit is sharp and wise
And even when you are grown
I will be proud to be your mother
 
Tomorrow, you will be eight
It seems like so long ago that I dreamt of you
Then you were in my arms.
You have been the light of my life
I have loved every day of getting to know you
Your brilliance astounds me
Your grace humbles me
And I am proud to be your mother

I hope you stay strong enough to know your own mind
You fight me when I am wrong
You make your own way
You create and dream and I respect your talents
Your compassion astounds me
Your wit is sharp and wise
And even when you are grown
I will be proud to be your mother

She is a lucky girl to have an outstanding mother like you!
:rose::kiss::rose:
 
Its pink at midnight,
roseate twilight pinned to the sky,
keeping birds awake.
Under the Louisiana midnight sun.
Exxon is refining daylight.
 
The wind on her back softly calmed the waves
and hushed all the sounds of a crystal sea,
rubbing its face, catlike over wet sand
under her feet as her clothes dropped away,
discards, soon forgotten, to wade naked
with warm salt water slicing through her thighs
and ripple over her belly till she
leaned into the water, kicked and cut loose
the last tie binding to the solid realm.
Called from the shore by breakers in the dark,
she swam on the tide, slicing glassy swells,
scissor kicking at angry phosphor flares
to mark the surface with eddies of stars,
fading like distant shore lights behind her.
Carried on warm salt currents, bumped and rolled
by quick silver fish and benign mantas.
 
Back
Top