Rest Peacefully Robin Williams

Whenever someone commits suicide I think of this rant from Pump Up The Volume...

http://youtu.be/MSzz-t7ywVM

It comes down to I'd rather be thought of as crazy, than dead...Death is too final...I can't change a thing when I'm dead...As painful as life can be at times, it just seems better than the alternative to me...I try to remember that even when it's all going to hell, when it's been awful shit before in my life, I've come out the other side better for it...

So I hold onto that bit of hope that it will get better...I hope that I'll see or hear something amazing and wonderful that I would have missed if I'd given up when I wanted to...That's what keeps me pushing onto the next moment and sometimes that's all I get...Hope...I hope the next moment won't be as bad...I hope that the pain will subside...Because when it does I'll be glad I stuck around to discover the next moment...
 
This makes me think of a phrase I read somewhere. "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." I just can't imagine feeling like death is the only solution to any problem. It makes me so sad that some people do.
 
A man we will remember

I think that Robin's genuineness was what separated him....unfortunately like Philip Seymour Hoffman....what makes them real can kill them in the end. It is our demons which can drive us to both greatness and madness (and the sadness which comes with it). I will always be a fan of many of his performances (Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Patch Adams), he was someone who we all knew. A celebrity in that we celebrated his ability to take chances, and sometimes he failed monstrously, but that was okay. It is the risk of walking out on the tightrope, sometimes the net isn't there. RIP Robin.
 
I just saw this thread.....

Since Robin William's death, I have overheard several discussions offline in regard to the fact that it was he himself who took his own life....suicide

I heard a few snickers and saw a few eyerolls , implying a " whatever" kind of attitude ...and this saddened me .

I felt sadness because suicide is commonly thought of as a person being selfish and cowardly....
It needs to be something our society is educated about to realize that thoughts of suicide and the act itself can be helped or prevented if only friends, families , coworkers were more in tune with people's cries for help...which unfortunately can be very subtle.

I am an attorney, specializing in Elder Law .Suicide is a very serious issue with the elderly, it can be interrelated with depression and physical illness....

Age, gender or demographics does not discriminate as to who will take their own life...

Personally speaking...my brother , who is special needs , which many of you know...needs to be monitored carefully when he gets into one of his " blue moods' , due to a Bipolar Depressive Episode...it's frightening....he has never attempted, thank God...but, now and then he gets very " low" and he displays symptoms....he doesn't have a selfish bone in his body , nor is he a coward....but, he does have a mind that isn't as healthy as you and I consider to be "typical".

So please...I urge everyone to get their feet wet and become educated on suicide...instead of putting a person down...

Be aware of other's actions, and be there for them if you see that they may be spiraling into a dark mood.

As for Mr. Williams...
He was a genius...he ALWAYS made me laugh, and will continue to do so thru the preservation of his work.:heart:
 
I just saw this thread.....

Since Robin William's death, I have overheard several discussions offline in regard to the fact that it was he himself who took his own life....suicide

I heard a few snickers and saw a few eyerolls , implying a " whatever" kind of attitude ...and this saddened me .

I felt sadness because suicide is commonly thought of as a person being selfish and cowardly....
It needs to be something our society is educated about to realize that thoughts of suicide and the act itself can be helped or prevented if only friends, families , coworkers were more in tune with people's cries for help...which unfortunately can be very subtle.

I am an attorney, specializing in Elder Law .Suicide is a very serious issue with the elderly, it can be interrelated with depression and physical illness....

Age, gender or demographics does not discriminate as to who will take their own life...

Personally speaking...my brother , who is special needs , which many of you know...needs to be monitored carefully when he gets into one of his " blue moods' , due to a Bipolar Depressive Episode...it's frightening....he has never attempted, thank God...but, now and then he gets very " low" and he displays symptoms....he doesn't have a selfish bone in his body , nor is he a coward....but, he does have a mind that isn't as healthy as you and I consider to be "typical".

So please...I urge everyone to get their feet wet and become educated on suicide...instead of putting a person down...

Be aware of other's actions, and be there for them if you see that they may be spiraling into a dark mood.

As for Mr. Williams...
He was a genius...he ALWAYS made me laugh, and will continue to do so thru the preservation of his work.:heart:

If there were a "Like" button, I'd press it 100 times. :rose:
 
Back
Top