So we own another cat.

We've introduced the other cats to her, one at a time. Growling and hissing ensued (on the part of the little one). Everyone else is mildly inquisitive.

I just now carried her around the upstairs introducing her to the rooms and to the cats - then we put her down and let her explore.

She has been growling the entire time. It's so damn cute. It sounds like someone's tummy growling because she's so tiny.

But she's a tough one, she has kept up the attitude, kept up her guard, so at first blush the rest of the household is keeping their distance, sort of a wait and see attitude.

Smart kitty. She's a survivor. I wonder how long she was outside before she found us?

It sounds like she's off to a good start meeting the rest of the gang and she's absolutely adorable in the picture. I'm a little concerned that she's so growly. It's probably just fear and intimidation, but if it goes on long enough it might really hinder her integrations. I have a few suggestions that might help.

Cats, even ones that are used to regular meals, are most relaxed at mealtime. Try feeding them so that Yuuki can see at least some of them while they all eat. It depends on the personalities how far apart they need to be, but the goal is where they can see each other but still feel confident enough to relax and eat. Sometimes a glass door or a cat carrier is required to keep an aggressive cat from causing trouble.

As they become more comfortable with each other, gradually move the bowls closer together. Some cats need to start a whole house apart and take a couple of months before they are eating close to each other. Other cats might only need a few days. You know they've accepted each other when they are relaxed enough to all eat in the same place at the same time.

You don't say how many litter boxes you have, but with seven cats you can't ever have enough. A new spitfire kitten can cause a distressed resident cat to give up on the litter box, especially if there aren't enough and someone starts guarding. The rule of thumb is one per cat plus one and in enough places that one cat can't guard them all. You can get away with having fewer but it's something to watch.

It sounds like your resident gang were pretty laid back about the introductions. It's usually better to let the cats work it out themselves as long as they stick with hissing, spitting etc. I would only separate them if it looks like blood is about to fly. In that case, a water pistol or a shaker can is the best bet for getting the cats apart without losing fingers. To make a shaker can, put a couple of pennies in an empty aluminum (soda) can and tape the top shut. It makes a racket when it lands nearby and startles them out of the fight.

Feloway diffusers, such as you can buy at PetSmart, can be very helpful in situations where cats might otherwise be nervous. These are plug-in feline pheromone diffusers; cats can smell them but they have no affect on people. Put some of those in the rooms where the new kitten hangs out the most and she might be a little less threatened by the rest of the pack. They get rave reviews from people dealing with social issues. I used the spray version on my cat carriers the last time I moved; my cats were a lot less vocal.

I applaud you for taking in the waif. I hope the introductions keep going well.
 
Just wanted to say that I think the kitty is sooooo cute.

And I love it when little kitties spit and growl and try to act so ferocious....too cute. Although I understand it probably helped keep her safe while she out in the great wild nature.

You've a heart of gold sarahh.:rose:
 
freshface said:
You know they've accepted each other when they are relaxed enough to all eat in the same place at the same time.

My lot must be weird. Two of my cats have a very problematic relationship. The red Aby-Tabby, Ziba, would really be happier if she were the only cat in the house. It was bad enough when I went back to the shelter and brought back Doc. I guess I should have asked what relationship they had when they were both there. They get along Ok now, but you couldn't say they were friends.

But the one who really does not like her is Il Grigio, the Accidental Korat, whom I brought into the house when he was around 6 months old. He wasn't a foot inside the door when she came up and mounted him, just to show him who was boss, and he's never gotten past that. He's been with us over a year, and he's now larger than she is, but I don't think he realizes that, and he never speaks to her except in hisses and growls.

But all three of them will cluster around the food dishes, close enough so the edges of their ears brush against each other. It reminds me of the Water Truce that in The Jungle Book was observed by all the animals during time of drought.
 
We rescued a kitten from a snow storm. Just couldn't bear to leave him out in it, and he's the most lovable thing. I wish we didn't have so many dern cats though. I love the critters, but it's just getting to be too much.
 
The two times we had three cats in our house they all got along. The first one was like an older brother at times, taunting the younger one, but for the most part it was just typical sibling rivalry. Then #2 got bigger than #1 and they all got along :D

The two #3 cats (the first one got hit by a car :( ) never had any problems from them though.

Now with our latest cat, WE have problems with his biting. He is so unruly...
 
At least with other cats you have a chance at integrating one more. When our last cat died, Hot Mama wanted another until I pointed out that with a terror-ier in the house, any kitten's lifespan would be drastically curtailed. Pepper is wonderful with people, most of the time, but anything small and furry is dead, bloodily so and very quickly. I'm no great cat person but I don't think the poor things deserve to be dogmeat. So the Pep is an "only pet". Still, I'd love to see pictures of any kitten with that much spirit. :)
 
LOL. Don't need to give her any attitude, she already has enough. Cute? Man! A friend of family, long since deceased, was building an egg ranch and someone gave him a kitten to help keep the mice out of the feed. Unfortunately, as he was building the house, he managed to drop a 2x4 on the kitty. He shook his head, knowing it was dead, but he put it in its box so it could die more comfortably. When he went back later to bury the thing, it reached up and took a chunk out of his hand. That did it. Any critter that tough had a home with Herb. He named it . . . Clyde.

Clyde never weighed more than 8 lbs in fighting trim but I once saw him attack, kill and bring home a cottontail that must have weight 3/4 what he did. As I said, I'm no great cat person, but Clyde was my kinda kitty.
 
I'm into dogs, not cats, so ignore this if it's wrong...

My instinct is to let her explore if she wants to. She'll learn manners when she meets the others. Spunky is good. Spunky, but knowing she isn't the Alpha, can be a survival trait. She could learn both good manners and cunning to go with her spunk!

We had experience with taking in a very young stray... and she became the dominant cat because she was accustomed to having to fight for everything. Our cats backed down from her, so she was the youngest... but also the most dominant.
 
Growls are still happening here and there, but she's a tough li'l thing, and holding her own, especially against the big tom cats.

One kitty isn't happy - the other small girl kitty that we have. She's having trouble adapting, spoiled little shit. But she will.

Heck.. our cats have been together for four years and we still get a little hissing and spitting here and there.
 
We rescued a kitten from a snow storm. Just couldn't bear to leave him out in it, and he's the most lovable thing. I wish we didn't have so many dern cats though. I love the critters, but it's just getting to be too much.

How many do you have?

We had three. One passed away from old age (congestive heart failure) so we've only got the two now. But Kat and I are discussing getting another kitten sometime later this year.
 
I have a spoiled brat Burmese who has never totally adapted to the extras that have arrived, though she has toned down her act considerably. I even caught her asleep on the same bed as one of the interlopers the other day.

Glad to know little kitty is standing up for herself and winning the psychological battle for acceptance.
 
Back
Top