The Devil's Plaything (Closed)

PogueMahone

Literotica Guru
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Posts
806
John Milton looked out of his penthouse window, his fingers drumming a staccato rhythm on the large hardwood surface of his desk as he watched the wind blow the leaves lazily across Central Park. It was nearly 3 o'clock and John knew that his latest employee, Charles Reeves was just moving into his office three floors below.

Charles was one of the newest and brightest attorneys that John employed, he had almost never lost a case back home, and John was hopeful that his winning streak would continue now that he was moving to the big city. John had a special interest in Charles, one that no one outside of his closest associates would have suspected. The real reason John Milton had hired Charles, had offered him a large salary and a free apartment, was his wife, Kendra.

Neither Charles nor Kendra had any idea about John's real motive, no one truly did, although a few of the senior partners may have had some suspicion. Only a few of his partners even suspected John's true nature, let alone his motives. John was not his true name, he'd taken it from the author of "Paradise Lost" a story that was near to "John's" heart. It wasn't everyday someone unintentionally wrote your biography. "Oh, if only they knew," John chuckled to himself as he imagined his associates surprise if he ever revealed his true nature to them.

Standing up, John moved quickly out of his office towards his private elevator. A few moments later he was striding down the hallway towards Charles Reeve's new office. "How's it going, Charlie?" He asked, knocking loudly on the doorframe as he stepped into the open office.

"Uh... it's going fine, Mr. Milton," Charles replied, somewhat shocked at the sudden appearance of the firm's head lawyer in his office. He hated being called Charlie but felt intimidated enough by his new boss not to correct him. There was something unsettling about Mr. Milton, a sense of power that seemed to surround the small man. It wasn't that Mr. Milton, John as he insisted Charles call him, was physically imposing. At 5'6" he was nearly a head shorter than Charles with a slightly stocky build, he wasn't fat or anything, just stout. John was probably in his mid-40's, Charles thought, noting his boss's dark hair combed back from a high forehead, an imposing nose, and an almost perpetual grin. The fact that he was always smiling may have been one of the factors that unsettled Charles so much about his new boss, that and his eyes. John's eyes seemed to always be looking through people, as if he could read them somehow.

"Good, Charlie," John laughed back, knowing how uncomfortable his presence made the younger man. "Please call me John," He insisted once more as he looked around the large office. "I just stopped into make sure that you and your wife were coming tonight?"

"Yes, sir," Charles nodded, trying to break eye contact with his boss. "Kendra's been talking about nothing else since we arrived."

"Good," John laughed. "How is Mrs. Reeves adjusting to city life?"

"I think she misses home," Charles admitted with a shrug, "but it's only been two weeks. I'm sure she'll be happier once she finds a job or something."

"Excellent," John nodded, "I'm looking forward to seeing her again. Remember, 8:00 at my apartment. All the partners are going to be there so this is your chance to make a good impression," He reminded the young attorney as he stepped out of the office.

"Yes, sir," Charles muttered with a sigh of relief as Mr. Milton disappeared down the hall.
 
Kendra Reeves

I was bored.

I knew my husband had done this for the both of us, but I was a shy woman. I didn't mix well and was finding it hard to fit into the city. I was more of a country girl at heart - everyone knew each other, no-one was ever too busy. But New York was - well, New York.

All people seemed to do was work hard and play harder. And that wasn't really my thing at all. I was however looking forward to the party that evening. I'd bought a little black number specially. Maybe I would make a few friends.

I looked at the clock. Almost 5. Charles would be home soon.
 
Charles Reeves

Charles Reeves had finished unpacking the last few boxes, setting the last few random items aside until he was more comfortable in his new office. He was excited, almost fidgety at the prospect of his new job, his new career, here at Milton, Chadwick, and Waters. His new position afforded him opportunities that he never would have back home. Under all his excitement, Charles felt a slight twinge of guilt. He knew Kendra was unhappy, she hadn't wanted to move to New York but had grudgingly agreed for the sake of his career. I'll have to do something nice for her, Charles reminded himself as he turned the first case folder open, sitting down behind his large desk as he began to peruse the state's evidence.

"Damn it," Charles hissed as he looked up from the case file, glancing at the clock on the wall, "I'm going to be late." He'd only meant to skim the file but had found himself strangely immersed in the testimony and dispositions, losing all track of time. Shutting the folder, he grabbed his coat, toying with the idea of calling Kendra to let her know he was running late before dismissing the thought. "I'll be home soon enough," he told himself as he hurried out of his office.

"Charlie!!" Mr. Milton's voice boomed out as Charles hurried down the hallway. "Charlie, come here. I've got someone I want you to meet."

Stopping, Charles glanced at his wristwatch before turning back towards his boss, a false smile on his face. "Yes, Mr... John," Charles corrected himself as he walked back towards Mr. Milton.

"Dante, I'd like you to meet one of the newest and brightest stars here at Milton, Chadwick, and Waters." John laughed as he introduced Charles to an older man. "Charlie Reeves meet Dante Algers. Dante here is an old, old friend, Charlie. Why don't you join us in my office for a drink, Charlie?" John suggested, his arm going around the younger man's shoulders, physically turning Charles towards the elevator.

"Thank you, John," Charles smiled, nodded his head apologetically, "but I really should be getting home. Kendra is expecting me."

"Oh, we won't keep you too long," John assured him with a laugh, almost pushing him forward, "besides it does a woman good to wait every now and then. Keeps them from expecting you to jump whenever they snap their fingers."

"Yes, sir," Charles agreed somewhat sullenly as he allowed himself to be herded towards Mr. Milton's private elevator.
 
Kendra Reeves

Gone 6. And still no word. Normally he at least contacts me if he's going to be late. He can't be late tonight. Not unless he's starting early with the senior partners.

Still, men don't take so long to get ready.

I head for a luxourious soak in the bath. The black dress is laid out ready for me, and I've laid Charles' best suit out. Not that it will matter. He's probably going to be drunk before we even get there.

By the time I drag myself out of the tub it's gone 7. Beginning to worry, I phone Charles' cell.
 
Charles had no idea what time it was as he leaned back into the sumptuous leather of his chair, a glass of scotch held loosely in one hand as he listened to Mr. Milton and Dante talk and laugh. He was pleasantly tipsy, losing his sense of urgency as he felt his eyelids grow heavy, the other men's conversation fading into meaningless noise as he sat there. He knew he should call Kendra but couldn't find the motivation to move out of the chair, the glass of brandy held loosely in one hand as he felt himself slipping into sleep. He hadn't had that much to drink but there was something almost hypnotic about Mr. Milton's office, as if everything had been chosen to put any visitor at ease, to lull them. His eyes were just about closed when he felt the vibration of his cell phone in his suit pocket, the soft humming against his chest jarring him back away.

"Excuse me, gentlemen," he apologized as he leaned forward, placing his glass on John's desk as he fished the phone out of his pocket. "My wife," Charles explained, glancing at his phone as he stood up. As he stepped out of the office, he was surprised at how alert, how awake he felt, leaving the languor of a moment before behind. "Hi, Hon," he said as he raised the phone to his ear. "I know... I know I'm late but Mr. Milton insisted that I stop by his office for a drink. What? No, he's here with me. I think we can be a little late if I'm with the host of the party," Charles assured her. "No, don't worry. I'm coming home now. Yes, bye."

"Sorry about that, John, Dante," Charles apologized as he stepped back into the office, dropping his cell phone into his pocket. "Kendra gets a little anxious if I'm late home from work," he explained with a small shrug.

"Means she still loves you," John laughed as he stood up, "why don't you head home now, Charlie? I'll see you at the party a little later," he said, extending his hand to Charles, "I just want to discuss a few more things with Dante."

"Okay, thank you, John," Charles said, shaking both men's hand before hurrying out of the office.

"Well?" John asked once the young attorney had left.

"I see nothing special about him," Dante replied coolly, "perhaps a bit brighter than your average human but nothing that warrants your attention."

"True, my friend," John laughed, "but he's not the one I'm really after. Wait until you see his wife," he chuckled lecherously as he refilled both of their glasses, "now she's something special."
 
Back
Top