The Doctor

Are we losing the plot here?

We're not talking Shakespeare, it's Doctor Who.
 
kendo1 said:
We're not talking Shakespeare, it's Doctor Who.
Granted, but Shakespeare himself wrote light, frothy things like "As You Like It" and that didn't stop it from being Shakespeare, did it? A good writer can make even fun and fluffy fantasy transcendent. Likewise, just because a show is not Shakespeare doesn't mean it deserves sloppy, lazy writing.

You might think it unfortunate for the future of Dr. Who as mindless entertainment, but a writer like Moffat shows viewers what *can* be done with the show and how very good it can be--and *still* be fun and frothy. When that happens, it makes episodes that don't live up to that promise all the more disappointing...especially when they start off implying that they're going to live up to that promise.
 
kendo1 said:
I enjoyed Tomb Raider. :eek: :eek:
LOL! And I enjoy some really dumb shit, too. No apologies necessary. Hell, I've rented and enjoyed some truly stupid romantic comedies. and I've enjoyed, as well, some really silly episodes of Dr. Who. Candy is candy and it's fine. I don't mind if the Emperor dresses up in jeans and a tee-shirt, or a clown suit for that matter. If I know that's what I'm going to be seeing, I'll happily give it a look, if it's to my taste, keep watching no matter how loud the colors, badly mismatched the plaids, or ridiculous the prints.

My objection is to when a movie or tv show says, "The Emperor will be wearing the most amazing outfit you've ever seen, make from the finest fabrics, with the most astonishing tailoring! This is a break-through in couture--" And then the Emperor walks out naked!

If the Emperor was wearing no clothes and you still liked what you saw, that's fine. But the show promised me there would be a designer outfit and I'm a little disappointed that the Emperor wasn't wearing anything. If the show is going to hype the suit, it had better deliver the suit.
 
Last edited:
Considering most Emperors are kinda dumpy inbreds it's jut as well they're wearing clothes. ;)
 
3113 said:
My objection is to when a movie or tv show says, "The Emperor will be wearing the most amazing outfit you've ever seen, make from the finest fabrics, with the most astonishing tailoring! This is a break-through in couture--" And then the Emperor walks out naked!

If the Emperor was wearing no clothes and you still liked what you saw, that's fine. But the show promised me there would be a designer outfit and I'm a little disappointed that the Emperor wasn't wearing anything. If the show is going to hype the suit, it had better deliver the suit.

That was why I didn't like the episode too much actually. The series had a run from the eighth show of truly great episodes, building to a crescendo with Blink, Utopia and The Sound Of Drums. I was expecting something amazing for the finale and was very amped up. The deus ex machina (added to the fact that I'd guessed who the Toclaphane were) left me more disappointed than if I'd watched the show just on its own merits.

The Earl
 
TheEarl said:
That was why I didn't like the episode too much actually. The series had a run from the eighth show of truly great episodes, building to a crescendo with Blink, Utopia and The Sound Of Drums. I was expecting something amazing for the finale and was very amped up. The deus ex machina (added to the fact that I'd guessed who the Toclaphane were) left me more disappointed than if I'd watched the show just on its own merits.

The Earl
Yousee I'd been worke up into a frenzy ( literally, really) by Utopia and Drums and found the last episode just provided me the orgasm I needed.

But then I was imagining The Doctor, The Master, Captain Jack and I in many varied naked positions together, that may have biased me a little :D
 
Back
Top