The Winter Holiday Contest Support Thread

Popped the cherry

Actually, I'm popping two cherries, here. First entry into any contest and my first forum post on the site. Woot.

Seems to be going well, so far. Doubt I'll win but I've been getting some really nice feedback, so it was a good way for me to get noticed. Besides, I am actually happy with how my story (The Frost King, if you're wondering) turned out. Took a traditional Russian fairy tale and eroticized it.

Which now leaves me wanting to do Rapunzel. Hell, in the Brothers Grimm version, she does get knocked up.
 
Actually, I'm popping two cherries, here. First entry into any contest and my first forum post on the site. Woot.

Seems to be going well, so far. Doubt I'll win but I've been getting some really nice feedback, so it was a good way for me to get noticed. Besides, I am actually happy with how my story (The Frost King, if you're wondering) turned out. Took a traditional Russian fairy tale and eroticized it.

Which now leaves me wanting to do Rapunzel. Hell, in the Brothers Grimm version, she does get knocked up.

Welcome to the Authors' Hangout and to the themed Literotica Contests.

Good luck with your entry.

You might like to look at how other people have written about Rapunzel. Here's mine: Og's Rapunzel

Og

PS You don't lose your virgin status until you have made 30 posts. A single post only shows that you are available...
 
My second story finally got posted this morning. I submitted it last thursday. I was surprised it took so long to post for a holiday contest story. I guess I'll find out if box is right. I think it was him that said you never want to get posted on a Sunday.

"Over the Rainbow", my stories are posted in my sig. That's my last entry into this contest. Good luck to all and I wish you all the best of luck and many reads, comments and votes.
With respect
DG Hear
 
My second story finally got posted this morning. I submitted it last thursday. I was surprised it took so long to post for a holiday contest story. I guess I'll find out if box is right. I think it was him that said you never want to get posted on a Sunday.

...

DG Hear

DG,

2 (two) stories in the contest? Wow! it took me a month of sundays just to get one. it's doing ok, i guess (4.30 with 150+ votes out of 33000 views) not exactly a winner but for a first contest entry, I'm pleased. I know it's got problems, structure and plot. but that's what happens when you create characters and let them write their own stories :)

some characters want to fuss over protocol, others, worry about acceptability, or other character's feelings - mine just wanted to screw... but that leaves out conflict and suspense and a bunch of other possibilities.

Next story's gonna be a different ball game. structure, conflict, drama. and still lots of sex...


By the way, what's everyone talking about 'sweeps'??

jacks
 
DG,

2 (two) stories in the contest? Wow! it took me a month of sundays just to get one. it's doing ok, i guess (4.30 with 150+ votes out of 33000 views) not exactly a winner but for a first contest entry, I'm pleased. I know it's got problems, structure and plot. but that's what happens when you create characters and let them write their own stories :)

some characters want to fuss over protocol, others, worry about acceptability, or other character's feelings - mine just wanted to screw... but that leaves out conflict and suspense and a bunch of other possibilities.

Next story's gonna be a different ball game. structure, conflict, drama. and still lots of sex...


By the way, what's everyone talking about 'sweeps'??

jacks

Just stay with it Jack. As long as you are enjoying yourself. Your number of reads and your score are both very good. You ought to be proud. Good luck to you in the contest.

I haven't even seen a mini sweep. On my first story, vote count is over 435. The sweeps will come but they aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. I figure they are getting a handle on it.

My story posted this morning has over 106 votes. Don't knoow the number of reads because it doesn't change as often. Received some very nice comments and feedback. Makes it all worth while.

I just thought maybe you don't know what sweeps are. The management of Lit goes through the voting and by some methods get rid of all ineligible votes. It lowers the vote count but usually (not always) raises the score a bit.
With respect
DG
 
Last edited:
DG,

Thanks for the encouragement! naw, I really didn't understand what a 'sweep' was. Thanks for explaining that bit. I haven't really seen my score change much - +- .05 has been about it.

I really didn't expect this to win, or even come close, so anything above last place(tm) is just icing on the cake.

But I did notice the large number of views compared to votes, and that has me a bit puzzled.


Jacks
 
Welcome to the Authors' Hangout and to the themed Literotica Contests.

Good luck with your entry.

You might like to look at how other people have written about Rapunzel. Here's mine: Og's Rapunzel

Og

PS You don't lose your virgin status until you have made 30 posts. A single post only shows that you are available...

Funnily enough, I chose the "popping the cherry" metaphor before realizing I'd be listed as "Virgin". It greatly amused me.

I'll have to check out that story, thanks.
 
DG,

2 (two) stories in the contest? Wow! it took me a month of sundays just to get one. it's doing ok, i guess (4.30 with 150+ votes out of 33000 views) not exactly a winner but for a first contest entry, I'm pleased. I know it's got problems, structure and plot. but that's what happens when you create characters and let them write their own stories :)

some characters want to fuss over protocol, others, worry about acceptability, or other character's feelings - mine just wanted to screw... but that leaves out conflict and suspense and a bunch of other possibilities.

Next story's gonna be a different ball game. structure, conflict, drama. and still lots of sex...


By the way, what's everyone talking about 'sweeps'??

jacks

I will soon be submitting my second entry in the contest. It needs one more read-through, and I will submit it tomorrow. This will be another romance story involving Donna and Kevin. They get good votes, but not very many of them. :eek:

We refer to "sweeps" and sometimes to the Hoover, which means a vacuum cleaner sucking up votes. I don't think there has been one yet for this contest. :confused:
 
Actually, I'm popping two cherries, here. First entry into any contest and my first forum post on the site. Woot.

Seems to be going well, so far. Doubt I'll win but I've been getting some really nice feedback, so it was a good way for me to get noticed. Besides, I am actually happy with how my story (The Frost King, if you're wondering) turned out. Took a traditional Russian fairy tale and eroticized it.

Which now leaves me wanting to do Rapunzel. Hell, in the Brothers Grimm version, she does get knocked up.

Hi, Equilibria. Welcome to Lit., to the AH and to the active story writers. You should include a link to your stories in youe signature line. :)
 
:heart::heart::heart:I picked up one vote today. Thank you, whoever you are. :heart::heart::heart:

I wish you many more votes. When I started writing stories at the end of 2005 I couln't believe that anyone would even read anything I wrote much less vote and comment on them.

Eventually I was getting thousands of reads and hundreds of votes, (not all good, haha)

To this day I don't understand why I get so many. Just do your best and satisfy yourself that you did the best you could.

My Holiday submission 'Purple Rain' has 441 votes and 20 comments
Over the Rainbow which got posted this morning has 312 votes and 14 comments.

All I'm trying to say is to hang in there and the read, votes and comments will take care of themselves. It does take time to build a following. The contest seems to get a lot more readers, but they also have a lot of stories out for the holidays.
Wishing you the best
DG Hear
 
I will soon be submitting my second entry in the contest. It needs one more read-through, and I will submit it tomorrow. This will be another romance story involving Donna and Kevin. They get good votes, but not very many of them. :eek:

We refer to "sweeps" and sometimes to the Hoover, which means a vacuum cleaner sucking up votes. I don't think there has been one yet for this contest. :confused:

Well, that was certainly quick. :) The new entry posted less than 12 hours after I submitted it, and has eight votes already. :)

ETA: The trolls, at least some of them, found it pretty quickly too.
 
Last edited:


I get reads and votes (lord knows why?) but I have the hardest time getting comments? 20 comments on one story? How is that even possible? LOL I'll even take negative comments! Bah!
 
I get reads and votes (lord knows why?) but I have the hardest time getting comments? 20 comments on one story? How is that even possible? LOL I'll even take negative comments! Bah!
I don't know what inspires a reader to comment either good or bad. Most of my stories seem to get 20 or more, sometimes less. A very big portion of those are anonymous.
I get about half as many feedbacks as I do comments also. I always figured a reader had to get emotionally attached to a story or be a friend of the author. Since I don't have to many writer friends, I figure I rile the readers enough to make them want to comment.

Write a loving wife story with a wimp husband or a very poor ending and I gaurantee a lot of comments (mostly bad). LOL

I have many stories with 40, 50 60 and even over 100 comments, one has 156. I know many writers get a lot more than I do. I just write them and sit back an see how the readers respond. I truly do like the comments and feedback, both positive and negative (positive more) because it lets me know real people are reading what I write and that makes an old guy feel good.

My two Holiday stories are both doing good.
'Purple Rain' has 444 votes, 23868 reads and 20 comments on Lit.
'Over The Rainbow' has 474 votes, 16068 reads and 18 comments. It was posted Sunday.
Good luck to you Sethp!
DG
 
I don't know what inspires a reader to comment either good or bad. Most of my stories seem to get 20 or more, sometimes less. A very big portion of those are anonymous.
I get about half as many feedbacks as I do comments also. I always figured a reader had to get emotionally attached to a story or be a friend of the author. Since I don't have to many writer friends, I figure I rile the readers enough to make them want to comment.

Write a loving wife story with a wimp husband or a very poor ending and I gaurantee a lot of comments (mostly bad). LOL

I have many stories with 40, 50 60 and even over 100 comments, one has 156. I know many writers get a lot more than I do. I just write them and sit back an see how the readers respond. I truly do like the comments and feedback, both positive and negative (positive more) because it lets me know real people are reading what I write and that makes an old guy feel good.

My two Holiday stories are both doing good.
'Purple Rain' has 444 votes, 23868 reads and 20 comments on Lit.
'Over The Rainbow' has 474 votes, 16068 reads and 18 comments. It was posted Sunday.
Good luck to you Sethp!
DG

Is this across the board? Or do you get more comments in some genres?
 
I've been working on NaNo but I story finally came to me on Thanksgiving. Seriously it is the fastest I have ever written something.

Nothing like the holidays to inspire holiday writing.
 
Thanks DG. I think you're right about emotional attachment. The most comments any of my stories has is 13. I can't complain though. Lit is where I'm learning to write, much to many of my reader's dismay! Good luck to you as well though you don't need it! lol
 
Thanks DG. I think you're right about emotional attachment. The most comments any of my stories has is 13. I can't complain though. Lit is where I'm learning to write, much to many of my reader's dismay! Good luck to you as well though you don't need it! lol

Why would your readers be dismayed about your learning to write? :confused: There are those who say I don't know how to write and, using their definitions, they are right. :eek:
 
Why would your readers be dismayed about your learning to write? :confused: There are those who say I don't know how to write and, using their definitions, they are right. :eek:

Well if you want a good laugh go back to some of my earliest writing here and you'll see that I have/had no clue as to correct grammer or spelling and never even proofread my stories once before submitting! lol I'm getting much better and using editors now but still, it's a steep learning curve! And torture to my early readers. Really really bad. I think I've left up most of the comments tearing me apart. I'm only now going back and deleting the worst of em or re-writing if they have a slight glimmer of hope.
 
Scores went down on both of my stories this afternoon. Quite a bit too. The votes didn't change much though.
 
Scores went down on both of my stories this afternoon. Quite a bit too. The votes didn't change much though.

Mine's stuck around 4.27 4.28...I think I'll probably end up close to there when it's done.
 
Just finished editing and submitting mine. I'm assuming it'll be up later this morning, but if it doesn't post until Wednesday, I won't be surprised. Just so long as it gets tossed in the fryer. ;)

My original idea turned out to morph into a full-blown novel. I might save that for publication, not sure. But I've put it on the back burner for now. I really need to finish Beyond The Veil for the ten or so devoted fans out there. :p
 
Actually, I'm popping two cherries, here. First entry into any contest and my first forum post on the site. Woot.

Seems to be going well, so far. Doubt I'll win but I've been getting some really nice feedback, so it was a good way for me to get noticed. Besides, I am actually happy with how my story (The Frost King, if you're wondering) turned out. Took a traditional Russian fairy tale and eroticized it.

Which now leaves me wanting to do Rapunzel. Hell, in the Brothers Grimm version, she does get knocked up.

There was a chain story series a while back, started by Selena Kitt, called Modern Fairy Tales. You might want to take a look at some of them. I believe there was a Rapunzel story included. All around, there were some pretty damn good stories submitted.
 
If there's been a sweep--ever--in this contest, there must not have been anything sweepable in either of my entries.
 
Back
Top