The Winter Holiday Contest Support Thread

16,000 words? and you're not done yet?

Can I get it read by Christmas? :eek:

Will I have time to read and shop? Read and wrap? Read and bake?

Just playing, of course. ;):kiss:

I've discovered that my idea of a "short story" is about the same as a novella. *sigh* And it's only a story about a bus, some angels, and a pregnant girl . . . .
 
Was that on "A Long Christmas Good Bye" ? I can't believe that was ever that low.

Yes, Blue. That story which now is down to 4.19. Of course the usual TROLL and his many alts are working hard to get the story below 4.0.
 
Well, my first evar contest entry has been up for a few days, and the score went from crap-to-kinda-better-than-average. So, trollin' happens to everyone, I guess.
 
Last edited:
ye gads!

6800 words, and when it came back from the editor, there was so much red ink, I thought I'd punctured an artery.

Well, I got most of the 'issues' cleared up, but I'm wondering if it's a viable candidate for 'Dead Last'. hopefully, I can get it submitted in a day or two...
 
whew!

Hey, just finished, and posted it up - 2 hours later, it's up unbelievable!
My first story took like 3 days to post...

<cringe> now comes the comments
 
low on the fuck pole

:heart:Controversy is an artist's dream. Any emotional relationship with a work is very welcome. I am really happy with my story. No typos.:heart:
 
eh~

Yea, but what's a person to do? you work and slave over a story, pour your heart into it, dredge up everything you know about what your readers like. Whirl and pinch it all together into something that's hopefully 'good enough'. maybe even get a VE or perhaps a real editor. your stuff comes back all bloody red. You fix it, read, fix, re-read ad infinitum. eventually you have to 'let it go'.

But readers are a fickle bunch. Your main character's a hideous bitch? '1',"I don't like your protagonist." "Anonymous in Canada" comments "You suck," but "Anonymous in Florida" thinks 'Anonymous in Canada' sucked as a commenter and scores your baby '1'.

But if IF IF everything's perfect, AND your story fits within the 'popular' categories, $$ come raining down, as if from the gods themselves.

I suppose, If I get anything better than dead last, I'll be happy. But then, I already know I suck. Just not how badly...


Jacks
 
Yea, but what's a person to do?
Jacks

No, man, you write to please yourself and only yourself, everyone else can go hang.......and I mean that. I wrote 30,000 words no one's reading or voting for and you know what, the next one's going to be 50,000.

Peace, 5.
 
I'm intending to submit my story tomorrow. It's called The Christmas Job.

This season didn't inspire me in the least like the Summer and Halloween contests, but I finally came up with my story idea three days ago, and am almost done.

It's short (around 4,500 words) a miracle unto itself! I realized the only way I could write a truly short story was to tell myself it was just a chapter in a much longer work, lol. :)

Anyway, I have no illusions whatsoever that it's a contender. I'm entering for the fun of it (watching my votes plummet - whee!), and like most writers here, I value the feedback, exposure, and hope to get an idea of whether anyone wants to see the story continue.

Good luck everyone! :)
 
Last edited:
No, man, you write to please yourself and only yourself, everyone else can go hang.......and I mean that. I wrote 30,000 words no one's reading or voting for and you know what, the next one's going to be 50,000.

Peace, 5.

5,

Yea - I got that early on - with my first story. It sucked, and they let me know it. This one's hopefully better, but if it stays above 3.5 I'll be surprised.

Interesting. I started with a 1500 word story. This one's more like 6500 words.


Jacks
 
a minor question

The listing order of contest stories - does that indicate relative rank?

I see the stories shift places from time to time, and was wondering
 
The listing order of contest stories - does that indicate relative rank?

I see the stories shift places from time to time, and was wondering

No... the order of stories is randomized form time to time. It means nothing
 
No... the order of stories is randomized form time to time. It means nothing

Thanks, Jenny

I was just wondering whether to be happy or....

But I suppose, randomized is appropriate for a contest - no story is favored by page position.
 
:heart:It was a toss up between that and The Time-Master's Whore.:heart:

Oh, "Fucking Jesus" is made of so much more win. :D

Unless you did Timelord's Whore. Then you'd get a double entendre with lord and god, which I guess some religious people use, and with Doctor Who.

But, "Fucking Jesus" just tickles in the correct way.
 
There's still time. I was thinking of ripping out another one. Maybe a historical retelling of the classic tale. The baby Jesus born in a barn. Mmmmm SHEEP. The three Wise Guys gang banging Mary and the Innkeeper doing Joseph from behind. Make me feel so Christmasy :D
 
Back
Top