When you were 18 .....

When I was 18, I moved out of my house, got my own apartment, went to college and high school consecutively, and drove a 1984 BMW. This was in 1999, of course.
I thought I would marry my high school sweetheart (I didn't), I thought I would graduate from college way ahead of time (I won't), and I thought that doing whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, was all I wanted (it wasn't).
Amazing what you learn in only a few years.
 
Re: And I ran....

Thumper said:
I miss the pop 80's stuff..


So do I and I don't usually get nostalgic. I still have Duran Duran, The Fix, The Cure, only now, it's all on CD. No more scratched or worn out records.
 
I haven't hit my 18th birthday yet.

Although I had a ball celebrating the 20th anniversary of my 12th birthday!
 
One more thing about when I was 18...

I could get a pack of Camel Wides for $1.90 after tax. Damn I miss those days!! No wonder I quit 3 yeas ago! :eek:
 
Ah, yes. Good old 93-4

Showgirls was in theaters.

90210 was going strong, and Melrose Place was just getting rolling.

Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh dominated talk radio options.

Mariah Carey and Celine Dion released albums that were weak, even for them.

People either loved or hated Clinton, and everyone hated Hillary, even if secretly.

Grunge fell apart though suicide, overdose, apathy, and sellout.

I drank my way through 10 classes that year, getting my highest undergrad GPA.


No, I don't miss it.
 
Re: When I was eighteen...

Thumper said:
We posted jpg's and gifs....

on cave walls.

The internet was a network of hollow logs and clubs to beat on them....

And Rock music was literally rock music!:p
 
looking at how things were last yr when i was 18 and right now i think alot in the world has changed for the worse not the better like it should be :confused:
 
Talk about dating oneself!

Let's see, when I was 18 Jimmy Carter was president, the US embassy had been captured by the Iranians taking Americans hostage, and a certain wacko named Jim Jones had taken a bunch of folks to South America and had them all commit suicide by drinking grape kool-aid. Gas prices were rapidly approaching $1.00 per gallon (SHOCKING!) - when you could find the stuff. Long lines at gas stations, beginning at 4 and 5 in the morning, hoping the station wouldn't run out before you got there. Thinking of ways to out scam the gas rationing. (For you young 'uns out there - you could only get gas on even numbered days if your license plate ended in an even number, or if you had a license ending in an odd number, you could get gas on odd numbered days) Cigarettes were affordable and cheap, and everybody smoked. It seemed that everyone smoked pot, and coke was fast becoming the drug of choice to anyone who could afford it.

Well, the rest is a haze, except the phrase, "Disco sucks" was something that I said quite often.
 
Disco did suck! :D

Zeppelin was better!

Styx, Pink Floyd, The Eagles.......


Ahhhhhhhhhh the music from my youth!


A testimonial to the music is that they have all toured within the last five years or so.

I wonder how many of today's up and coming artists will be able to say the same 20 years from now.
 
When I was 18...

Clinton was president
I thought I was going to go away to a big school and love it (Stayed a week and now go to school 10 minutes from my house with 500 people)
Before 9-11 not much had changed.

Of course I was 18 less than a year ago!
 
Re: One more thing about when I was 18...

Tiggs said:
I could get a pack of Camel Wides for $1.90 after tax. Damn I miss those days!! No wonder I quit 3 yeas ago! :eek:
When I was a teenager, cigs were something like 20-40 cents a pack depending on what you bought and where (some machines would charge the outrageous price of 50 cents a pack!).

I am glad I never really took up that habit - truthfully, I smoked but didn't inhale;)

I like cigars better anyway:p but I quit smoking cigars about 15 years ago when I was always getting colds, etc. - I miss a good cigar, but now they just make me sick. Besides, kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray - yuck!:eek:

STG
 
When I was 18....... Yeah, rock was king!

Last Thursday nite, Ted Nugent was at the House of Blues in Chicago....... How did I miss that??

A review said he was raging, the crowd was roaring..........

Also said he stated that his next song to be played should be the anthem played while the bombs fall in Afganistan......... Then he kicked into "Stranglehold".

Yeah; where the hell was I last Thursday nite????
 
When I was 18, Regan was Governor of California and Nixon was President.

Only about five people in my town smoked pot (thank god, I was one of them...).

Virginity might have been okay if you were a girl.

Every guy I knew was praying for a high lottery number. For those of you who aren't as old as dirt, the lottery was how guys were selected to be drafted for Viet Nam. The higher your number, the less likely you were to be drafted.

My favorite musical group was Crosby, Stills and Nash.

Gas was around $.32 a gallon, and I was making about $400 a month.

And, Misstaken was only about 5 or 6...YIKES!
 
gawd I hope my kids are around ...

they love to tease me about how it was when I was a kid.

I just about fell apart one afternoon when my 12 yr old came home so excited about hearing a kewl song in history.

Johnny Horton's Battle of New Orleans

He just couldn't wait to call his grandma and tell her about his new favorite song.

We went to dinner that night, he turned to me and asked, "mommy, where did you keep that big cd player in the car when you were a kid?"

I told him we didn't have cd players, mostly they were cassettes and some even were 8-tracks.

He said, "no mom, I mean the kind that played those big black plastic cds like that one the I saw today."

Fuck, that makes you feel old.
 
Ancient History 101

At my virgin (yes) 18th birthday, the Beatles were still in grammar school, Elvis had yet to record a tune, Frank Sinatra made females with 'bobby sox' and saddle shoes faint all over town, the Korean Conflict was winding down, the term "Cold War" was finding its place in the headlines, crinolines and poodle skirts were de rigeur, I drove a '48 Buick Roadmaster convertible, gas was 19.9 cents per gallon (for a Friday night date, we'd tool into the local garage and ask for '...a dollar's worth...', James Dean was a name in minor roles in movies, the Corvette and T-bird had not yet been designed, color television was a black & white screen with a three-color cellophane covering (blue at top, beige in middle, green at bottom), portable radios weighed ten pounds at least, a full meal at the local diner (veal cutlet, french fries, cole slaw, coffee, pie) was $1.99, politics was clean and politicians were admirable, professional football was played with hunks of leather on the head and players got about $50 per game, professional baseball players were heroes to little kids and we had not yet even heard of professional basketball, 'girls' basketball in high school consisted of six-member teams -- three players on offense and three players on defense who could not ever cross the center-court line, and were allowed three dribbles then had to pass the ball --, sports were in general 'unladylike', an unmarried pregnant girl was a whore or slut and usually sent away by parents, pornography was French postcards and illicit decks of playing cards with the most amazing pictures, condoms were totally unavailable to anyone in their own town...

Yes, I could go on, but I suppose you get the point.

And before you ask, yes, this was before dirt; I knew God's parents -- when they were teenagers.

Hang in there, all of you young-un's......

Edward
 
Harbinger said:
Oh my god, I just realized I'm older than Cheyenne:eek:

HEY! :eek: yourself!

Somehow I think I should feel insulted at that comment... :p
 
when i was 18.....

Blue Velvet was the #1 movie
Bon Jovi Livin on a Prayer was the #1 album
Ronald Reagan was President
Brian Mulroney was Prime Minister
Our disaster was Challenger exploding in the air after take off:(
 
Cheyenne said:


HEY! :eek: yourself!

Somehow I think I should feel insulted at that comment... :p

Dang, crap, I meant to type that you had always seemed so young to show such experience. :eek:

Besides, I'm still older than you. :p
 
When I was 18 I started dating my husband. Infact we hung out on my 18th birthday and both started to realize we "liked" each other.
 
Back
Top