Today, I had the meet-cute, chick flick moment every girl dreams of and it broke me.
It is my birthday today and I did not have much planned. Even though this birthday was marked to go by without any grand event…. I have never been prouder of myself. I did the hardest thing I have ever done, I left something good to find something spectacular. I travelled alone through Australia and had one of the best adventures of my life. I took a job as a stepping stone so I could move to the country that I wanted to build my new life in. I moved to a place I knew no one, so that I could be someone that built something.
It has been the hardest thing I have ever done. Many days as I work long hours and then come home to work on job applications and networking with hospitals that I dream of working in…. I get lonely. I miss my family. Of course there are many days where I wonder if I have made a mistake.
But today was not one of those days. Today, I was just proud of myself. Today I have the quiet reassurance that I was going to make it here. That this was only the beginning, of something…
That is when he walked into the restaurant. To say my jaw hit the floor would be an understatement. My mind spinning so fast that I felt dizzy. Sam walked into the room as if his family owned it. Present in hand and that charming half smile on your face. As if you had not flown across an ocean to be there.
I gave you a big hug, just happy to see someone from home. I looked at my friend as I sat down. “What the” were the only words I could expel. “I guess I have some explaining to do” she said, as she got up to hug him. “Nice to finally meet you in person” she said so friendly and warm. “Ya, thanks for helping me set this up”.
Suddenly all the awkwardness and frustration of planning this night out with my one friend/ flat mate, made sense. She normally listens and makes me feel so seen, while this time my desires to try a local foodie place went ignored. The date kept changing and she (the most introverted, house-hermit I have ever met) suddenly needed to try this place in the city.
Now I know it was all for you.
“Ok guys, what the hell! Just tell me, what are you doing here?” I said.
“Well, Sam reached out to me in August wondering how you were”.
“I know you wanted space, but I also…know you. I knew you would be homesick and that you would be nervous about being this far north for winter, so I wanted to bring you some things to make it feel a little more like home”
He slid the gift bag towards me as if it would answer the hundreds of questions swirling around my head. I slowly pull out gift after gift of things that I love from home. When I was done I looked at a table full of home comforts, unsure how he fit it all in the bag. I looked at them both blankly… thank you, I stuttered as if I forgot the English language all together.
The table remained quiet so I started packing the pieces of home back away lowering my head as I felt my eyes well up with tears.
“Are you ok babes?” Rachel said in earnest. I paused and turned my head to Sam, tears rolling down my cheeks. “Why are you here Sam”, I almost whisper.
“I don’t know what happened” he said softly.
“You left so quickly. One second I was proposing and the next you had broken up with me and flown to Australia.” I knew you needed space and that you wanted adventure.. but I thought you would come back.”
There it was, the moment every girl dreams of. The love of your life flying across oceans to see you on your birthday and talk about what happened, why you left. His desires not to loose you. As a girly girl, my heart stopped, this was a moment that I had only dreamt of, so what happened next surprised me more than anyone.
(I will have to finish this tomorrow. I am exhausted and this literally just happened to me, so writing it out is helping me process. Anyone want to take a guess how the rest of the night went before I post it?) i
It is my birthday today and I did not have much planned. Even though this birthday was marked to go by without any grand event…. I have never been prouder of myself. I did the hardest thing I have ever done, I left something good to find something spectacular. I travelled alone through Australia and had one of the best adventures of my life. I took a job as a stepping stone so I could move to the country that I wanted to build my new life in. I moved to a place I knew no one, so that I could be someone that built something.
It has been the hardest thing I have ever done. Many days as I work long hours and then come home to work on job applications and networking with hospitals that I dream of working in…. I get lonely. I miss my family. Of course there are many days where I wonder if I have made a mistake.
But today was not one of those days. Today, I was just proud of myself. Today I have the quiet reassurance that I was going to make it here. That this was only the beginning, of something…
That is when he walked into the restaurant. To say my jaw hit the floor would be an understatement. My mind spinning so fast that I felt dizzy. Sam walked into the room as if his family owned it. Present in hand and that charming half smile on your face. As if you had not flown across an ocean to be there.
I gave you a big hug, just happy to see someone from home. I looked at my friend as I sat down. “What the” were the only words I could expel. “I guess I have some explaining to do” she said, as she got up to hug him. “Nice to finally meet you in person” she said so friendly and warm. “Ya, thanks for helping me set this up”.
Suddenly all the awkwardness and frustration of planning this night out with my one friend/ flat mate, made sense. She normally listens and makes me feel so seen, while this time my desires to try a local foodie place went ignored. The date kept changing and she (the most introverted, house-hermit I have ever met) suddenly needed to try this place in the city.
Now I know it was all for you.
“Ok guys, what the hell! Just tell me, what are you doing here?” I said.
“Well, Sam reached out to me in August wondering how you were”.
“I know you wanted space, but I also…know you. I knew you would be homesick and that you would be nervous about being this far north for winter, so I wanted to bring you some things to make it feel a little more like home”
He slid the gift bag towards me as if it would answer the hundreds of questions swirling around my head. I slowly pull out gift after gift of things that I love from home. When I was done I looked at a table full of home comforts, unsure how he fit it all in the bag. I looked at them both blankly… thank you, I stuttered as if I forgot the English language all together.
The table remained quiet so I started packing the pieces of home back away lowering my head as I felt my eyes well up with tears.
“Are you ok babes?” Rachel said in earnest. I paused and turned my head to Sam, tears rolling down my cheeks. “Why are you here Sam”, I almost whisper.
“I don’t know what happened” he said softly.
“You left so quickly. One second I was proposing and the next you had broken up with me and flown to Australia.” I knew you needed space and that you wanted adventure.. but I thought you would come back.”
There it was, the moment every girl dreams of. The love of your life flying across oceans to see you on your birthday and talk about what happened, why you left. His desires not to loose you. As a girly girl, my heart stopped, this was a moment that I had only dreamt of, so what happened next surprised me more than anyone.
(I will have to finish this tomorrow. I am exhausted and this literally just happened to me, so writing it out is helping me process. Anyone want to take a guess how the rest of the night went before I post it?) i
Last edited: