🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 29:

After @Whiskeyjack told me about the risk of incurring the wrath of the Queen of Hearts, I'm not going to be posting more than yesterdays prompt. It was a momentary illusion of grandeur.

Let's all wait patiently for our benevolent goddesses' return 🥺
I shall risk the blade with a guest host shot. This one got a "love" in her prompt thread at least. Forgive me for my impertinence, oh Princess...

Day 29: A song that reminds you of a childhood memory.

I think this prompt popped up a few months ago, and I spoke then about the lao khene, a bamboo reed mouth organ which is the Lao national instrument.

Hearing it played brings back smells. It's incredible how strongly I can still smell this instrument; fresh, earthy, unique. There's really nothing like it. Sitting by a bonfire near the mekong river at night, listening to the masters of the village play. It was mesmerizing.

Lam Sippandorn

I think this prompt popped up a few months ago, and I spoke then about the lao khene, a bamboo reed mouth organ which is the Lao national instrument.

Hearing it played brings back smells. It's incredible how strongly I can still smell this instrument; fresh, earthy, unique. There's really nothing like it. Sitting by a bonfire near the mekong river at night, listening to the masters of the village play. It was mesmerizing.

Lam Sippandorn
Reminds me of old time country music :love:

I hope to see MLAS back very soon but in the meantime...in for a penny, in for a pound.

Day 28: A song about or mentioning sports
Wet Tennis - Sofi Tukker

Day 29: A song that reminds you of a childhood memory
Childhood memory, childhood obsession, tomato, tomahto
Once Upon A December (Anastasia)

Day 29- A song that reminds you of a childhood memory

As a kid the music when we listened to in the car the radio was set on my dad's favorite station. Which was country (W E N O- 1430) still remember the station jingle. At home we had kiddie records for the record player. Ex- How Much Is That Doggie in the Window. One day my neighbors gave us a stack of 45 records. All rock and roll. The flood gates were open. This song was probably played more than any of the others. And when we learned the words, we would sing it outside while we were swinging on the swing set

Tommy Roe- Dizzy

My older brothers gave me my first LP for my 10th birthday - Some Girls by The Rolling Stones, just two months after it was released. I thought I was pretty damned cool going into the fifth grade knowing every song on that album.

This song seems fitting this week.

Miss You

I did PM the mistress of the thread early this morning, with no response yet. And I haven't seen her around in a bit. We might be on our own for a little while.

I heard this song on the radio a few days ago (yes, I still listen to the radio), and it immediately took me back to being about 10 years old, playing Axis & Allies with my older brother while we listened to his CD's (I didn't have any of my own at that age).
"One Way or Another" - Blondie

Everybody look around hear the sound
Something specials gonna come your way
We got something that is new that is true
We got something just for you today...

Kids Incorporated - Various Artists

I grew up with people reading to me. My mom, my grandparents, the neighbor girls who wanted to be teachers when they grew up. I grew up with the sound of voices telling me stories, and that never lost magic to me. I love reading in any form, spoken aloud always has had a special place for me. And I passed that on to my kid, reading The Iliad and The Odyssey, sitting up with her as a baby when she was too young to complain. I have continued here as well. I have done a small bit of audiobook reading, with a script and takes and post, but I really love to record for someone, sitting with a book and a mic, just reading as if they were there wtih me. Mistakes, rereading, the whole thing. (I had once when I had to read the last paragraph of a short story three times, because it would make me break a little, and I left all three in.) Reading aloud is amazing to me.

This is Andrew Nielsen, a "Lit-core" rapper who performs as MC Lars; George Watsky, a slam poet turned rapper under the stage name Watsky; and actor, writer, and musician Charlyne Yi who preforms as...Charlyne Yi.

"Keep all your nickels and dimes, feed me your riddles and rhymes
Read me your Wrinkle in Time, build me a bridge out to Terabithia, meet me at nine
On the mysterious island, right at the scene of the crime
Come with Captain Nemo, but I'm emo, don't leave me behind
Starin' at the sun out on the quay 'till we're legally blind
Treasony, Mutiny on the Bounty, just carry me there
Out by Where the Red Fern Grows and then bury me there"

It is an ode to childhood reading, and how it makes us stronger. To paraphrase G.K. Chesterton, "Fairy tales do not tell children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist. Fairy tales tell children that monsters can be killed."

"Now suddenly
For the first time
I'm ready to be lost"

"Never Afraid," MC Lars, Wtasky, ft. Charlyne Yi

(Bury me there...)

I grew up in New York City... As a young kid, you would take an old ticket stub, put a five dollar bill under it and get past an usher at Madison Square Garden with a small "tribute." .....We used to call it "five-in."

This was the NY Knickerbockers pre-game song back then... This song challenge helped me rediscover it. Good memories for an incorrigible city scamp.

Van Halen, When its love
One of My first cds as a kid. This and Maidens 7th Son. Got them from my Dad for my birthday with the cd player.

Back