🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

What?! I guess it's fun that you are discovering a "new to you" Janet song though.
I was pretty devoted to KROQ at the time. Most of the mainstream pop knowledge I have I’ve picked up from MTV (where I assume I saw this video but it never made an impact) or since after I got over my middle school genre loyalties in the later 90’s (and I think it’s fair to say this is not one of her more memorable singles)

Day 21 : A song from the 90s

90's James Bond!! Oh what a rollercoaster. As in we started with a really high peak with the revival in 1995 with Goldeneye, and then it was just downhill from there. Easily the weakest decade in terms of moviequality, but the soundtracks! Oh gosh, they're perfect. Just perfect, all three of them!

@SalaciousMonkey22 said he'd judge me for my choice today, and I hope I picked the "right" one. It's the strongest one in my book at least 🥰

Sheryl Crowe - Tomorrow Never Dies

90's James Bond!! Oh what a rollercoaster. As in we started with a really high peak with the revival in 1995 with Goldeneye, and then it was just downhill from there. Easily the weakest decade in terms of moviequality, but the soundtracks! Oh gosh, they're perfect. Just perfect, all three of them!

@SalaciousMonkey22 said he'd judge me for my choice today, and I hope I picked the "right" one. It's the strongest one in my book at least 🥰

Oh I can never judge you too harshly. But I do disagree. When Shirley Manson is an option Shirley is always the correct choice 😉

Day 21 - a song from the 90s
I've heard it said that the music you listen to in your teens will have a place in your soul that can't be replaced. For me that's the 90s. Here's a song that I had on a mix tape, then CD, then Napster, and now Spotify. *Edit* I also watched the music video on much music!
Bullet with butterfly wings - Smashing Pumpkins

Last edited:
I was pretty devoted to KROQ at the time. Most of the mainstream pop knowledge I have I’ve picked up from MTV (where I assume I saw this video but it never made an impact) or since after I got over my middle school genre loyalties in the later 90’s (and I think it’s fair to say this is not one of her more memorable singles)
I think it has to do with age too(not an age joke) because I remember seeing her and Paula Abdul a lot on VH1 growing up, which I watched more than MTV in my teen years.

At least you came up with a good theme.
Like absolutely everything creative of mine, whatever I come up with is pure happenstance. I never put any thought or research or such into it. Bond theme? Whim. My most popular story, 14k words, written in pretty much a single night.

I was thinking about that, but I have such a dislike of 60s music in general, and it seems like everyone is going through something, so I figured "The Load" was a good dedication to all of them. But circling back as a theme it is either too broad (Canadian bands) or really tight (my choice-- musicians connected to The Band). The problem is, I try to do this game by memory and my own music collection. And my knowledge ends with The Band, who stopped recording in 1999, and Robertson. So I have to research my way out. Or admit defeat, and that's not happening....
I know nothing of The Band to be honest. I thought The Band and the E Street Band were one and the same until I googled it just now. 😅

I do kinda wanna give you a stern-talking-to about disliking 60s music though! It was the decade of discovery, so much experimentation and new techniques being discovered 🥰

I love Sheryl Crowe but she was an odd choice for a Bond song IMO. It is better than the Wings song though. 😜

I love Sheryl Crowe but she was an odd choice for a Bond song IMO. It is better than the Wings song though. 😜
I think it works really well! The orchestration lends it a certain level of bombastic that's just perfect. It could do with less guitars and more of the violins and those yummy double-basses, but all-in-all I find it really Bond-y :love:

Day 21: A song from the 90s

Probably still my favorite song from their second album. When Beyonce starts the song off, "Ladies, leave your man at home," I really felt that. I was nine years old but that's beside the point.

Jumpin' Jumpin' - Destiny's Child
Some of the best lessons are the ones that stick with you until you’re ready to learn em 🤣

Day 21: A song from the 90s
Peak 90's right here. Plus, I love the whole aesthetic. Cat-eye glasses are basically fetishwear for me at this point.
1994 - "Stay (I Missed You)" - Lisa Loeb

Back