🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 25: A song from the 80s

Obscure English youth subculture, 1980s version. Herberts - people who didn’t really associate with any subculture, yet were there for the punk, Oi! And ska music; and also maybe for the fighting or adventure.

Cockney Rejects were/are one such group. Altho they had a massive skinhead following, they rejected all political ideologies, esp the violent right. Their number one ideology was that they were working class. They were also unapologetic fans of West United and were involved in various hooligan gangs and firms that supported west ham.

My wife and I got to meet them through a friend whose cousin was their current bass player (RIP Tony). When I asked Stinky Turner about the top of the pops incident below, he just said “We spent the morning in a pub drinking ciders. Vince (bass player here), must’ve had fifteen of em that morning.”

They also mercilessly gave me shit about having “Nikki fookin Manaj” on my playlist. They also broke my balls over going to see Billy Bragg the next night. “Tell that prick, he owes me 20 fuckin quid.”

I did ask Billy Bragg the next night abt the money. He had no recollection of it! 😂

A very memorable evening after the show, to be sure!

Cockney Rejects - I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles

Back