13 Days of Scary Movies 2024! 🎃👻🕸🕷🔪🩸👽💀🤖⛪️🪓😱🦇

Day 2: A movie with a ghost (not a demon) in it.

The Changeling

This 1980 ghost story is anchored by the outstanding work of George C. Scott in a film that is well-balanced between horror and mystery. Scott plays John Russell, a New York composer and music professor who moves across the country to Seattle, fleeing his own ghosts having watched helplessly as his wife and daughter were killed in an accident. He moves to a deserted mansion, where he finds that he isn't the only person living there. Noises become visions which become physical manifestations, and he becomes obsessed with the who and why of the haunting.

Scott is fantastic, as always, but the whole film is well-made. First time screenwriters William Gray and Diana Maddox, along with Russell Hunter (who claims to have based a lot of this film on his own experience in a house in Colorado), produced a well-written, intelligent, and terrifying script. The movie is atmospheric and taut, with all the elements of a good Halloween ghost story: a creepy mansion, a spooky séance, a murder mystery, a secret room, and a great ghost. Director Peter Medak does a lot with very simple images, and you will not believe how scary a fucking kid's ball can be in the right hands. In a genre which loves its "jump scares," The Changeling depends more on a slow build to draw you in, and it is so much more effective because of that. This is a film that is too often overlooked.

Last edited:

Ghostbusters (1984)

Related to my previous post about A Nightmare On Elm Street, this is the movie I watched directly before it. I remember this because it was the night our family had bought their first VCR, and the two movies they bought with it were A Nightmare On Elm Street, and Ghostbusters.

I probably watched this movie every day for about a year, much to my older siblings’ dismay. Running around with a pretend proton pack shooting invisible laser beams at invisible Slimers. Today, I can recite this movie’s dialog in its entirety purely from memory. It never gets old to me.

Incidentally, has anyone ever watched a movie way later in life that you knew you watched as a kid and then have a completely new understanding of what happens in the movie?

Kid me: “That pretty ghost lady is tucking Ray in before bed.”

Adult me: “Why did my mom let me watch Ray receive ghost head every day?”

Day 2: A movie with a ghost (not a demon) in it

I was trying to think of films where i first became aware of ghosts, but my mind went to a British TV series... then another one, but that was based on a film!

the film was The Ghost And Mrs Muir
I can't remember much, other than it seemed to have lots of scenes by the sea and on cliffs and Rex Harrison had a great moustache. He played a sea captain and somewhere in my mind, i get this confused with the Flying Dutchman legend (think it's the moustache).

John Carpenters "The Fog"

Such an amazing cast!
Jamie Lee Curtis (🔪) , Tom Atkins, Hal Holbrook, John Housman, Buck Flower.

Not the most original idea, but brilliantly done and the most clever death's (especially the last one).
Adding wonderful 80's synth score lends to the feel of the movie especially when "Sh*t about to get real"

All starting with a One More story before twelve...

Day 2: A movie with a ghost (not a demon) in it

I was trying to think of films where i first became aware of ghosts, but my mind went to a British TV series... then another one, but that was based on a film!

the film was The Ghost And Mrs Muir
I can't remember much, other than it seemed to have lots of scenes by the sea and on cliffs and Rex Harrison had a great moustache. He played a sea captain and somewhere in my mind, i get this confused with the Flying Dutchman legend (think it's the moustache).
I love this movie and the series.

Back