Absolution (closed)

"We'll see them again soon," he assured her. "I heard Nonna's been making some new recipes to try out with you, things you've never tried before."

Valentina gave him a grin as he said that, leaning further into his side. Kitty stood in the entrance of the little kitchen room, watching him interact with their daughter. Valentina was a good girl. She was confused and a little hurt that she was losing Ashelin, which Kitty couldn't fault her for. She just hoped that one day, Valentina would warm up to her.

Vincenzo glanced up, catching sight of Kitty but remaining silent, letting her choose if she'd join them and get to know her little girl. Thus far, it had seemed even Chessie was closer with Valentina, sharing a love of cooking.

Last edited:
Kitty was scared to take that step, knowing that she might be rejected by the little girl. It wouldn't be intentional, but there was a lot of time to make up and she was afraid that Valentina might never fully accept her. It was one last cruel moment left by Oliver Colton and Tamblin. It was perhaps the one thing that she would never fully forgive Tamblin for.

"Well, it looks like everyone is having a good time in here." Kitty said softly, entering the room as Valentina looked at her for a moment and then gave her a nod. "Did Papa make you his special tea?"

"Yes." Valentina said softly, not moving from Vincenzo's side as Kitty took a seat across from them.

"You know, bambina," Vincenzo began, "back before you were born and your mother came to me in Italy, she was the one to give me the reason to make some of my best recipes and teas." He had previously explained the gist of Kitty's circumstances in Italy on both visits. "Some of your favorite recipes were ones she helped me test and refine." He knew the best way to Valentina's heart was through her interests. It was how she had come to be close with Chessie and some of the staff, how she related to the friends she had.

"Which recipes?" Valentina asked, looking up at Vincenzo as he mentioned that. "The ones that Nonna makes or the ones that you make?"

"The ones your father makes. He was the reason that I got better so quickly." Kitty said with a small smile towards Valentina. "Without him, I wouldn't have been able to have you or Ashien and Kayla."

"Well, it wasn't just me. It takes a strength of spirit too, but... Well, I taught her about how Italian families are built on just two things- love, and good food." He chuckled at that. "And she's who we're always picking and packing olives for. She loves them as much as we do."

"Who will send the olives now that you're gone? Uncle Van?" Valentina asked, looking up at her father. "Or will Nonna do it? How will we get our teas and grains?"

"We have them, and we have friends. Don't you worry." Vincenzo brushed her dark hair back. "And you'll have to teach me some of the recipes here, I don't know much about the isles in terms of food."

"I'll teach you everything! All the pastries and all of the good potato things." Valentina said, suddenly excited by the prospect of teaching her father something new. "I can come by tomorrow and do start teaching you."

"Why not stay the night?" Kitty asked, drawing a look from Valentina. "We have all the room in the world if you would like. You could even stay with your Papa."

Valentina looked up at Vincenzo and then back at Kitty, leaning into his side as she pondered that. "Would Mummy be upset if I didn't go home tonight?"

"Not at all. She's told you just like Warwick and I have- you can stay here or at home, just like Ciaran and Cole do. We'll just let Cole know so he can tell her when he heads back, hm? You're welcome to be independent and adventurous as you like, bambina, as long as we know where to find you."

"Then I'll stay here tonight." Valentina said softly.

"I'll see if Kayla has something you can wear to bed then." Kitty said as she stood, giving them both a smile as she excused herself.

"I love Aunt Kitty, but it still feels strange to call her Ma." Valentina whispered after Kitty had left.

"It's okay," Vincenzo assured her. "Like I've said, she knows the strange position you're in. She's waited a long time to be able to even be able to call you her daughter. No one expects you to just accept all these changes seamlessly. And Ashelin can still be your Ma too."

Valentina stayed with Vincenzo that night, enjoying the moment to stay with her father in a place that was so close to home. It had never happened before outside the day that she was born and she loved it for what it was worth. The next morning, she had Vincenzo up at dawn, teaching him in the kitchen how to make all manner of biscuit and dumpling, explaining to him what she had learned from Ashelin and Chessie.

It was practically Vincenzo and Valentina's favorite pastime to cook, making a little bit of everything in tiny batches regardless of how long it took, just so they could have big, varied spreads of food. It had led into Valentina being a natural at helping prepare medicines and keeping the gardens, and she had learned incredible patience from difficult, precise recipes that would eventually translate to being a good doctor like her father, as she'd always wanted to be.

Leaning on a counter beside Valentina as they watched over a clay dish in the oven with chicken and dumplings they would share with the Ghis children and Kitty and Chessie, Vincenzo chuckled at his daughter's intense focus, reaching down to brush flour off her shirt and then dusting a small bit off his own sleeve. "A watched pot never boils, cara mia," he reminded with a smile.

Valentina didn't respond or even more as her father spoke to her. It took what felt like an eternity before she finally glanced up at him, unaware that he had ever said anything. When she had a focus, there was nothing to be done about her hearing loss. It made her nearly completely deaf in moments like that.

"You said something, didn't you?" Valentina asked him softly.

Vincenzo smiled gently, kissing her forehead. "I told you not to watch it, or it'll feel like it's taking forever." He'd never once gotten angry at her for that focus, but he had tried to help instill a constant awareness of her surroundings so that she might not miss everything, or at least she'd be aware someone was speaking within seconds.

"It's not taking forever. It's just taking it's normal time." Valentina argued as her father kissed her forehead and she gave him a grin. "I can't wait to share it with everyone. I told everyone that we were cooking lunch and they seemed excited too."

"Of course they are. You'll learn very quickly that you've found an incredibly tight-knit, supportive family, my love. One of the many reasons I love them." He turned as he heard footsteps, seeing Brogan had entered.

"Mornin' you two," Brogan spoke with a smile. "Hiya, Val. How's it comin'?"

"We'll have enough to feed everyone! And Papa has never made this before." Valentina said, completely proud that she was teaching her father something new.

"Good lass," Brogan leaned down to kiss her cheek, having always had an easy relationship with her. "We'll turn 'im into a proper Scottish cook before long with you here." He hugged her against his side. "By the way... Ashelin an' Warwick an' the boys're comin'. Should be here pretty soon. Ashelin was feelin' up to gettin' out o' the house a while an' she wanted t'bring the whole family together."

"Mummy and Da are coming?" Valentina asked, her eyes bright as Brogan informed her that the entire family was going to be together for her lunch.

It had been Kitty's idea to get them there if Ashelin felt up to it. She had been grasping at straws when it came to the little girl that had a hard time warming up to her and she wanted to know if Ashelin could offer insight. Especially before it was too late to ask Ashelin for any kind of help.

"Sure are. Why d'you think Chessie's been in an' out preparing extra?" Brogan chuckled. Indeed, Chessie had come and gone a few times, preparing some side dishes of fruit and having a couple men bring up casks of light ale and cordial from the cellar, but she'd never told them quite what she was doing as it was all taken away to the main hall, or the side dishes were placed in a cool spot to wait.

Valentina was a ball of energy from that moment forward, working hard on her lunch with Vincenzo at her side. When Ashelin arrived with Warwick and Cole and Ciaran, Kitty was there to help get her settled. When they were warm in front of the fire, Kitty gave Ashelin a smile and patted her hand.

"She's a stubborn little creature, isn't she?" Kitty asked softly. "I've tried my hardest to get her to warm up to me, but she only has thoughts for you, my dear."

"She's just preoccupied with me for now. I don't think there's any changing that. But she cares about you. As Vincenzo is always saying, give it time." Ashelin smiled to Kitty lightly. "She's worth the wait, love."

Back