Absolution (closed)

"I suppose a few more years is nothing for all the time that's already passed." Kitty said softly as Ashelin assured her that it would only take time with Valentina, but the little girl did indeed love her. "Having Vincenzo here has been good for her too. He's trying his hardest to keep her occupied and involved."

"Everything is starting out beautifully, just a little slow," Ashelin smiled to herself tiredly. "It'll take everyone a long time to recover from two generations of neglect to Inverness, love, some longer than others. But this is the start of something good."

"i trust Brogan to make the changes that need to be made. He's already done beautifully. I daresay he doesn't need me here interfering with things." Kitty said as Ashelin commented on how wonderful things were turning out. "I hope that you get to see even more of it, Ashelin. For everyone's sake."

"You all seem to think the world's ending with me," she chuckled, very much at peace with her own fate. "It's all just beginning, Kitty. And I'm perfectly content just to know my boys and our girl are going to live in a kingdom that finally has some hope and potential."

"A few worlds might, my dear, but we'll always have the memories left behind to keep us going." Kitty said as Ashelin seemed so peaceful about the entire situation.

It was nearly an hour later when Valentina announced to everyone that the meal was done. She was as proud as could be as Chessie and her staff worked to get everything served. There was a pot of hot dumplings and chicken, cold fruit, steaming vegetables, and as much wine or cordial as they could want. As Valentina sat next to Ashelin, she was grinning from ear to ear, so happy to have her mother there to share in this accomplishment.

Ashelin smiled to herself as she idly stroked Valentina's dark hair back, only pausing as the meal was served and everyone dug in. There were complements all around for the excited little girl whose dish was the center of attention.

Valentina soaked in the attention, from both Ashelin and everyone else gathered. She grinned broadly, the same smile that her father had when he was in a particularly good mood. She might have looked like Kitty with Italian coloring, but her personality was almost identical to Vincenzo.

"Mummy, you have to eat more." Valentina begged, looking up at Ashelin as the woman barely finished one bowl and hadn't touched anything else.

"I can't handle much, my love," Ashelin reminded her gently. "But I wanted to make sure what I could eat was what you made." She sat back, smiling as Warwick leaned over to take her shawl from the back of her chair and wrap it around her. "Don't fuss over me, you two. I'm content."

Valentina said nothing as she hugged Ashelin tightly, knowing that moments like this would soon be a thing of the past. The least she could do was love her mother now and figure things out in the future when she was gone.

"I love you, mummy." The little girl said softly.

"And I love you, darling," she whispered, drawing Valentina into her lap with what little strength she had left. "I always have, always will." Pressing a kiss to Valentina's forehead and holding her, Ashelin sat back with a perfectly content smile on her face. No matter her end, she had all she wanted and needed.

Kitty watched as Valentina seemed perfectly content in Ashelin's arms, the woman loving her as if she were her own child. Kitty had been very fortunate that her friend had been able to take the little girl that she wasn't allowed to see or touch. Valentina had been given a good life with her dear friend and she had to keep that in mind as she sought a relationship with her. She had a mother, a wonderful mother, and Kitty never wanted to stand between her and Ashelin.

After lunch, Warwick helped Ashelin to Kitty's parlor where most of the family gathered, younger members sitting on the floor or laps of the older members as they simply enjoyed an afternoon together. At some point, Kayla and Ashien brought out Durban's journal that he'd sent to show Vincenzo and anyone who hadn't seen it, as well as many of Vincenzo's old journals with some of his travels and studies recorded inside with exotic pressed flora and feathers here and there.

"He's off having a grand adventure." Selena said softly as they shared Durban's journals.

"I still miss him terribly." Kitty said with a sad smile on her lips. "But as long as he's happy, there's nothing that I can do to bring him back home. Maybe one day he'll realize that he really does miss things here."

"He does, Ma," Brogan assured her softly. "But there's so much t'see. Now tha' he's got a taste of it, he wants t'see it all."

"Well, hopefully it's sometime before I'm old and grey and he forgets what I look like." Kitty said, looking at Brogan with a slight smile. "He'll be more wandering vagabond than Scot by that point and I'm sure he won't care at all."

"He'll get all that wandering out of his system and then he'll come settle at home with all his trophies and souvenirs, content to spend his days telling his stories," Vincenzo assured her from where he sat on the floor with the twins and Valentina. "God knows I've done enough wandering myself by now."

"I want to do the same." Valentina said, looking up at her Papa with a grin. "Uncle Van promised to take me on my first adventure."

"Be careful what you wish for, cara mia. His idea of adventure is going to the market," Vincenzo laughed. "He thinks Sicily is exotic compared to Italy."

"Well, Nonna will tell him that he has to take me somewhere special and he'll have to do it." Valentina said in a matter of fact tone, looking up at her father as if that was the end of that conversation.

"Of course she will. You're her favorite," Vincenzo agreed. "Mama has always spoiled you from the day I brought you home."

“I’m her only grandchild, Papa.” Valentina said as she giggled when he mentioned that she was Carmina’s favorite. “Of course she has to spoil me.”

Kitty wanted to mention Martin and Lucina, but she bit her tongue. Maybe one day her parents would get the chance to know Valentina as well.

That evening, Vincenzo sent Valentina home with Ashelin and Warwick, her brothers following as well. As Boar went with Selena to his camp to hunt the next morning and Brogan occupied the twins til bedtime, Vincenzo had an evening with Kitty. He showed up in her chambers with a bottle of French wine and two glasses, and gave her a smile. "Care to join me, amore? I managed a moment to stop by Seamus' vineyard on my way north."

“Are you trying to seduce me?” Kitty asked him as she sat in front of the fire, giving him a smile as he poured her a glass of Seamus’s wine. “I wish Seamus would have come with you to Inverness. He deserves the chance to come back home.”

"Not seduce. Entice," Vincenzo corrected with a handsome smile. "And Seamus promised he'd be along come winter, when things slow down on his vineyard."

“Is that what the Italians call it these days? Enticing?” Kitty asked as she took the glass that was offered and took a sip of Seamus’s delicious wine.

Back