Absolution (closed)

"Positive. She'll be back in a moment," Vincenzo stood up straight, motioning toward the fabrics Valentina had brought in.

Kitty looked over at the pile of fabric that Vincenzo was motioning to. She sat up a little straighter, confused as to why Valentina had suddenly brought her something to do after so long of trying to ignore her. Perhaps she was trying to come around to the idea of Kitty being her real mother. She wouldn't get her hopes up.

Kitty was alert by the time Valentina came back with a tray of tea and snacks put together by Chessie. She paused for a moment before as she saw Kitty looking at her so expectantly before she moved to place the tray down on a side table.

"I got some fabric to make something for Selena's baby." Valentina said softly as Vincenzo moved to serve the tea.

"I see that. What were you wanting to make?" Kitty asked the little girl as she looked towards the items that had been gathered and Kitty.

"Some clothing, I guess." Valentina shrugged her shoulders. "Brogan said you liked to make things like that."

"I've been known to. I made a lot of your clothing when you were little. I would send it to Venice so your Papa never had to do without." Kitty explained, looking over at Vincenzo.

"Between your mother and Nonna, I had everything I needed for you," Vincenzo told his daughter with a gentle smile. He knew this would be difficult, but Valentina's willingness to at least try was heartening. "I don't Nonna ever got to show you how to make clothes, only mending."

"No, she never showed me." Valentina said as Kitty carefully stood and made her way to the small pile of cloth that she had brought back with her.

"We can make all kinds of things for the baby out of this. Shirts, pants, blankets, and whatever else Selena needs." Kitty said, glancing over at Valentina. "It's your money. What would you like to make first?"

"Maybe a shirt?" Valentina asked. "Or a blanket. I'm sure that she needs it all."

"I'm sure that she does, love." Kitty said with a small smile. "Let me go get my basket of supplies and we can get to work."

Vincenzo remained, content to act as a buffer when needed. He knew it would be a rough start, but he also knew his love and their daughter were both loving individuals, and Valentina would eventually see that accepting Kitty didn't mean forgetting Ashelin and her role as the woman who'd raised Valentina.

Valentina was a dutiful student as Kitty taught her about cutting the fabric and designing a shirt. She helped in sewing, learning everything that Kitty had to teach as she always had. She was like a sponge, wanting to soak up any and all information that someone wished to give to her.

Vincenzo found that he rarely had to help Kitty figure out how to talk to their daughter, content to quietly sit aside and work on his journal and watch them.

They worked together until the little shirt was finished and Kitty had a pleased smile on her face as she folded the small garment away. "I think that's all for today, my love. We can make the rest later."

Valentina nodded at that, standing to help her pack up the rest of the supplies. "Da or Cole will be coming soon to take me home."

"You can stay here at the keep if you like, love." Kitty offered, watching as Valentina paused and then slowly shook her head.

"No. I need to go home." Valentina said softly, looking between Kitty and Vincenzo. "Soon, I won't have it to go to."

"That's alright, love," Vincenzo assured her softly. "You look after your brothers and your Da. They might be older, but they still need you."

It was nearly a week later that Warwick came to the keep with Valentina in tow, most of her possessions in the back of a wagon. The little girl looked completely heartbroken, but she knew that this day was coming. Brogan had given her a room in the keep, one that was in a tower and gave her a beautiful view of the surrounding countryside. It was time to move her into it, whether she was ready or not.

After she had moved her belongings in, she sat on the edge of her bed and watched as Warwick quietly packed her many books away into her bookshelf. She was hugging a stuffed bear that her mother had made for her tightly to her chest, struggling so much in that moment.

"I don't think I'm ready to stay here, Da." Valentina said softly, scared of what the uncertain future would be for her.

Warwick turned to face Valentina, his expression hollow and sad. He hadn't even begun to cope with his loss, sometimes avoiding sleeping at the cabin because it simply haunted him without Ashelin around.

"I know, darling..." He murmured softly. "But... King Brian will be expecting me before too long."

"I know you have to leave. You told Ciaran and Cole that too." Valentina said softly as he turned that sad and haunted gaze towards her. "But...maybe I could go with you?"

"I wouldn't tell you no, Valentina. But you need to realize where I'm going. It's a huge city, we don't know anyone there, and our home will be on the castle grounds. I'll be away often as the king's adviser. Are you ready for that? Because I won't be able to bring you back here much. Someone will have to come and get you, and Vincenzo won't always be here in Scotland to do that."

"I know." Valentina said softly, burying her face against her stuffed bear as he told her that she would basically be alone in a big city as he would be away at work. "I know when you leave Inverness, I won't get to see you very much anymore. I don't want to lose you and Mummy at the same time."

"I'm sorry, little love," he whispered, kneeling to hug her tightly. "I would stay... But I can't take it..."

"Do you promise to come back? At least a few times?" Valentina asked as she hugged him back tightly, trying so hard to be brave as she watched him crumble.

"I promise, and you're welcome to come see me anytime. You're still my little girl, and you always will be... And maybe one day I'll be strong enough to come home."

That evening, Valentina stood on the front steps of the keep as she watched Warwick guide their wagon away without her. She had to stay there with her real mother and father, but she couldn't help but feel like a little piece of her had died all over again. She had lost Ashelin and now she had lost Warwick. She would never live under the roof of that little cabin with Cole and Ciaran again. Everything in her short little life had been turned completely upside down and she wasn't sure that she could cope.

She was still standing there over and hour later in the dark when Vincenzo and Kitty appeared after a short walk. Kitty paused when she saw the little girl, her heart breaking for her.

"My heart hurts, Papa." Valentina said softly, tears finally starting to well in her dark eyes. "And it won't stop."

Vincenzo didn't hesitate to step forward and scoop Valentina up, hugging her tightly. He could offer no reassurance. Ashelin was gone, and Warwick couldn't stay, for his own sake. Vincenzo was already scared for the man, not trusting him to look after himself even as Warwick still looked after his children.

The moment that her father picked her up, Valentina burst into tears. She sobbed against his shoulder as everything seemed to break around her and the world suddenly felt very dark and lonely.

"Oh, love." Kitty said softly as she stepped up to Vincenzo's side and gently stroked Valentina's hair back from her face. "It's not forever, love. He'll come back when he can."

"I want mummy." Valentina whined pitifully, completely breaking Kitty's heart as the little girl begged for the one person that they couldn't bring back.

Vincenzo sighed softly, stepping inside with Valentina and Kitty, taking his daughter to Kitty's parlor and settling with her in his lap, his jacket now wrapped around her.

Kitty was unsure of what she might be able to do for the little girl as Vincenzo settled into a chair in her parlor with Valentina. There were things that she needed to work through on her own.

"Did you eat dinner, love?" Kitty asked, watching as Valentina shook her head no and clung to her father just a little bit tighter. "I'll get you something."

She gave Vincenzo a look and then left to have Chessie make Valentina something to eat.

Vincenzo held Valentina like he had when she was even smaller and still terrified of thunderstorms, when he would wrap her in his jacket or vest and hold her til the rumbling faded. "I'm sorry you have to feel this pain so young, bambina," he whispered. "It isnt easier when you're older... But I'd hoped you'd have more time to come to terms with what you might lose..." He kissed her cheek and rocked her gently.

"You could stop him, Papa. You could convince him to stay." Valentina begged, looking up at her father as her logical mind gave way to her lack of understanding of the situation. "He doesn't have to leave us all to a place where he'll simply be sad."

"I can't stop him," Vincenzo told her softly. "He's a grown man, and he's broken, bambina. He's doing this because he knows he'll only fall apart here. At least in Edinburgh, he won't be reminded of Ashelin at every turn, which will give him time to regain his strength to face those memories and recover in time."

Back