Absolution (closed)

"I'm tempted to try it, but I think even Ashelin would know words won't fix this..." Vincenzo sighed, kissing Kitty. "At least she has this family now... Even if it's tough to accept. She needs her siblings when you and I can't help."

"Tough love might be what she needs, as much as we want to baby her." Kitty said softly, glancing into the room at Valentina as she sulked back into the chair that she had been sitting in.

"I know. Which is why I won't relent to her wanting to leave everyone out of this journey. If she keeps resisting... Well, I may have to be a villain for a while."

"Whatever you decide, I'll support, love." Kitty said softly, knowing that Vincenzo was in a difficult position with their daughter.

"We'll see." He kissed her and let her go to share Selena's news with everyone else. He re-entered his office and sat back down in his usual seat, glancing over at Valentina but remaining silent as he continued his work.

Valentina sulked for a while longer before she finally moved from her seat, pulling herself into Vincenzo's lap and simply hugging her father. Her anger was always there, but when it reared its ugly head, it rarely lasted long.

Vincenzo said nothing, wrapping an arm around his daughter and smoothing her hair back before he continued writing in his journal, keeping her close. It was what he'd always done when they came to a disagreement, silently letting her work through things as he held her, and eventually they'd get back to work together.

“I still don’t want them to go.” Valentina said softly. “But if they have to come with us, I guess that’s alright.”

Valentina was quiet as Vincenzo said that and she knew that he wasn't happy with her. He was usually calm, but she knew when she had crossed lines with her father. She didn't do it often, but sometimes it simply happened.

"Ciaran scolded me yesterday." She said softly. "He said that I'm not being fair to aunt Kitty. He said Mummy would be very unhappy with me."

"He's not wrong, cara mia," Vincenzo murmured. "Ashelin never got the chance to ease you into this whole thing, I know. But that's no reason to treat your mother the way you do. She loves you and she's trying to be friendly, but she's also been giving you space."

"I would never want Mummy to be upset with me." Valentina said in a quiet voice. "And I know she loved Aunt Kitty. I'm just not ready to have another Ma right now."

"She doesn't have to be your Ma right now, Valentina, I've told you that several times now. And she never has to replace Ashelin. But I do want you to see the kind of person she is, and respect her. I would never force you to do more than that."

Valentina was quiet after that, simply sitting in her father's lap as she let those words sink in. Kitty had sent Boar on the way to visit Selena to make sure that everything was alright with her, promising that they would pick him up for the trip to Italy on the way to the coast. She was at peace and looking forward to meeting her grandson and relaxing in Italy as she had twice before in her life.

It was mid autumn when the clan came together for the journey. Cole and Ciaran had been welcomed along, but they only agreed to go as far as Edinburgh to see Warwick, and they'd visit for a week or two before returning home. Brogan was hesitant to come along, torn between his work and a deep need to see Italy one more time. Eventually he was coaxed into joining the group, once Ciaran and Cole gladly volunteered to keep things in check when they returned. In the few weeks between, Brogan had entrusted the keep to Chessie's watchful eye, and matters of state to some of the older minor nobles who'd finally returned after fleeing from Tamblin. The only ones missing in the end were Durban and Selena, and of course Ashelin who never got the chance to see Italy except in Vincenzo's journals.

The first stop that the little group made was to see Selena outside of Edinburgh. The only member of the family that had truly seen it was Boar and Kitty was eager to see her newest little one. The little cabin was nestled on the banks of a loch outside of the city, well built by one of Brian's most trusted workers. Selena had gotten it ready to host the rest of the family, beds made and tents set up outside for her younger siblings.

Hearing the noisy wheels of the wagon, Selena stepped out front with little Ruben wrapped up in a handsome tribal blanket. The little boy was sound asleep after his morning meal, cuddled against Selena's warmth. Selena was smiling as she saw the rest of them, having terribly missed her family if not Inverness.

Boar stepped out with Selena, watching as the cart came to a halt and Vincenzo came to help Kitty down to see her daughter and first grandson.

Ruben was a healthy little boy, and a fairly easygoing child thus far that was content to simply be with his mother, quietly taking in the world whenever he wasn't asleep.

Selena was smiling so broadly the moment that her mother was heading her direction. Boar had been there supporting her for the past few days, but Selena had done what she thought was impossible and delivered the little boy all on her own. His father had come a few days after, taking her letters to a messenger so that the rest of the family could know about Ruben.

"Ma." Selena said, kissing Kitty's cheek as Kitty hugged her first and then scooped the little boy up into her arms.

Ruben didn't even flinch when Kitty held him, his perfect little features soft in slumber. "Oh, my love, he looks just like you." His hair was almost jet black and he looked so much like Selena that it made Kitty's heart ache.

"He's a good boy. He even lets Boar hold him without much fuss." Selena said, glancing over at her little brother. "Boar insists that he doesn't have any use for babies."

Boar rolled his eyes at Selena as she spoke. While he was an adult by Clan standards he was still just a teenager slowly coming to grips with things like women and children and the idea that he might have a child of his own one day. He only relented a bit to Selena, grumbling, "I said Ru'd be th'one exception fer now. Only 'cause 'e doesn' cry at everythin' like most babies."

Vincenzo came to Kitty's side, an arm around her as he lifted the other hand to touch Ruben's cheek. "He's perfect," Vincenzo murmured, his heart squeezing. While he would never have grandchildren of his own beyond any Valentina had, he immediately felt a deep love for the little boy, like any grandfather should have. "You haven't had any problems?" He asked Selena, looking her over and finding her just as healthy. "I can't believe you managed everything alone."

"Nothing beyond being tired all of the time. Boar has been working to make sure that I have enough food to keep my energy up." Selena said as Vincenzo asked her about how she was. "And his father too."

The mysterious wolf had come for a brief visit before he had to go back. She had been so angry with him that she had said some very nasty things before he was gone. A few days later, while Boar slept from his journey, she had woken to find a bundle of supplies at her door. She knew he was trying to make things up to her and this was his way of apologizing.

"Come in, everyone. I've got some stew on the fire." Selena said, playing host for the first time and ushering her brothers and sisters into the cabin.

Soon everyone was gathered in the den that had originally been built with the idea that Selena might have a spouse and one or two children in the future. While it wasn't too cramped with seven people and a baby, it did mean the twins had to sit on the rug near the hearth, and Boar took a moment to shred the bark off some logs and roll them inside as makeshift stools while they waited on the meal.

Once everyone was settled, Brogan helped Selena as much as possible while she played host, and her newborn was quite content to sleep in his grandmother's arms after everyone got to meet him.

Selena caught herself glancing off into the living room, watching as Kitty held Ruben so securely. Her Ma looked happy and that made her smile. She did notice Valentina, sitting off by herself, looking a little worse for wear about everything.

"I'm happy you came with them." Selena said softly, looking up at Brogan as he helped her get the meal ready. "You'll need the long break before things really start to get difficult."

"It's already difficult," Brogan admitted. "But I managed t' negotiate a peace period with O'Hennessey, an' I can use th'returning nobles t'help fend off smaller clans. Won' be easy, cleanin' but Da's mess... But he left me some hints an' help here an' there."

"I can send..." Selena started, pausing just before she revealed her wolf's name to her brother. "I could go and watch things for you if you want. Just to give you some peace of mind when you're half a world away."

Selena glanced towards the living room when she heard Ruben waking, the infant suddenly surrounded by more people he had ever seen in his entire life. She had to smile as her Ma instantly cuddled him close, kissing his soft brown hair and soothing him in a way that only Kitty could. She could see Valentina watching closely from her seat, something in the little girl's gaze telling her that she was slowly starting to warm up.

"I see things have been hard with our little sister." Selena said in passing comment. "I've never seen her look so...sad."

"We were hopin' you migh' come with us, but I imagine it'd be rough on you two with Ruben so little still, travelin' so far. Invernes'll be alright, Ciaran an' Cole'll be lookin' after it. But yer welcome to go back if y'like too."

Looking back to see Valentina, Brogan sighed softly. "Warwick couldn' be what she needed anymore, an' tha' hurt both of 'em even more. She's strugglin' t'figure out where she belongs, an' she's havin' a terrible time comin' to terms with Ma in particular."

Back