Absolution (closed)

"I heard, darling. But we'll have a good talk later, alright? Just you and me." Carmena kissed her forehead before setting her down and welcoming the twins over first. "My sweet little twins... I haven't seen you in so long." She knelt to embrace them both tightly. "You probably don't even remember me."

Ashien greeted Carmina warmly in what little Italian he could remember while Kayla was a little more shy, holding Ben tightly as she greeted Carmina as well. Kitty gave Carmina a smile as she rose and Kitty was soon embracing the woman as if she hadn't been gone for almost ten years.

"Thank you for keeping them both safe and happy for me." Kitty whispered to Carmina, referring to Valentina and Vincenzo.

"I did my best after the beautiful gift you gave me in that little girl," Carmena murmured, holding Kitty as if she were her own daughter. "My boy loves you so..."

"And I love him." Kitty said as she gave Carmina a grin. "However, I'm not sure how much love there is between Valentina and I. It has been a struggle."

"I'm not surprised after all that's happened this year. But we'll get to that." She turned then to greet Brogan and Boar fondly, hugging each of them before finally greeting Vincenzo, tugging him down by his collar so she could kiss his forehead.

"Alright, everybody. I think a proper feast is in order," Carmena announced. She smiled to Valentina and encouraged, "Let's show them what two proper Italian women can do, bambina."

Valentina was in the house like a shot, following shortly by Kayla and Ashien who wanted to help as well. As Boar and Brogan entered, Kitty snagged Vincenzo's hand and pulled him back towards her with a soft smile.

"You have no idea what it means to me to be here right now." Kitty said softly, leaning in to kiss the love of her life as passionately as she dared.

Vincenzo smiled handsomely as Kitty spoke and then kissed him, taking a long moment to simply enjoy it as his hands naturally came to rest on her waist. "Italy is always open to you now," he murmured. "Anywhere you want to go, I'll take you there."

"To heaven." Kitty said softly with a sly smile on her lips. "Tonight. Your Ma would watch the youngest children for us and we can sneak away."

"You have yourself a date," Vincenzo chuckled softly, stealing another long kiss before they finally headed inside. Carmena was directing the three youngest children in the kitchen while Ben perched in the open window to watch, and Brogan and Boar got to chopping firewood. Vincenzo, knowing the house from growing up there, set up the guest bed and extra places for the family later.

"Where is Van?" Kitty asked Carmina as she got the children to work on a late dinner. "I'm surprised I haven't seen him lurking around just yet."

"Valentine has always had his own life and little time for his poor mother," Carmena chuckled. "Always working, always busy."

"Sounds a bit like my eldest son." Kitty commented as she took a seat to watch the children work. "Durban is off seeing the world and has little time for me. He writes a letter from time to time, but I haven't seen his face in so long that I barely remember what he looks like."

"I hope I'll get the chance to see him and Selena again someday soon. And I hear you have your first grandbaby." She brought her work to the table with her, making pasta by hand.

"A sweet little boy named Ruben. He's probably as dark as Vincenzo was when he was born. Selena is an excellent mother." Kitty said, taking the chance to gush over her first grandchild.

"She learned from the best," Carmena smiled, kneading the dough without needing to pay much attention thanks to years of practice. "She's living near Edinburgh now? Just the two of them?"

"On the banks of a loch. With a roguish father, it seems." Kitty didn't know anything about Ruben's father besides the fact that he was a shadowy figure in Selena's life. "She seems to be able to hold her own, but I can't help but worry about her. She's my child, after all."

Ashien soon came by with a bowl of olives, leaving them for his mother with a grin as she brushed her fingers through his thick hair. "Thank you, love."

"Passerotto," Carmena smiled fondly, dusting off her hands to draw him in and kiss his forehead. "You've grown up so much since we sat drawing little birds in the garden."

"We all grew up, nonna." Kayla answered for her brother, coming to his side to get her share of Carmina's affection as Valentina continued to cook at the fire. "But we got all of the gifts that you sent. I still use most of them."

"She has a small collection of scarves and blankets that you sent every year." Kitty told Carmina.

"I'm sure I've sent far too many," Carmena chuckled. "But that means there's plenty for everyone." She kissed Kayla's cheek too and hugged Kayla to her side. "I've been excited for the day you all would be able to really call Valentina your sister. You all were my first chance to act like a grandmother, so you prepared me well for her."

There was a slight tension in the air as Carmina mentioned Valentina becoming their sister. The twins looked between one another while Valentina simply continued to cook, not hearing the conversation taking place.

"Well, we will look forward to all of the spoiling you and Vincenzo intend to give us." Kitty said, trying to diffuse the tension in the room.

Carmena glanced around, noting the tension but not saying anything. It would be a conversation for later with individuals. Instead, she acted as if everything were normal, quickly distracting the twins with helping her roll out the pasta before she cut it and set it to boiling in a huge pot.

The meal was delicious as always and Kitty happily sat next to Vincenzo as she watched her family come to life. The twins chatted happily with Carmina, basking in her attention. Even Boar and Brogan seemed to relax as nothing was forced upon them except the need to relax. Kitty took Vincenzo's hand and squeezed it, giving him a small smile as he looked at her.

"This is what we all needed." Kitty said softly. "Thank you, love."

"Anytime, cara mia," Vincenzo whispered, kissing her cheek. Carmena was entirely focused on stories the twins told her, an arm draped around Valentina beside her once they were finished eating. After the plates were cleared away, Carmena welcomed the children outside to learn a game, introducing them to bocce to give Kitty and Vincenzo some time.

The moment that Carmena was outside with the child, Kitty was pulling Vincenzo off on an unknown adventure. She was giddy like a teenager doing something she shouldn't be doing. She had never had a chance to be reckless and in love. By the time she was 17, she had a child and had been married for a year.

Vincenzo followed Kitty some ways before his familiarity with the area took over and he showed her secret places along the hills and the shore, including some now-dry sea caves and little tunnels that pushed a dozen or so feet into the cliffsides.

Back