Anyone for random non-sex (but occasionally sex) chat on the thread here?

Okay, I'm going to take a stab at @MiaBabe23 's challenge to offer advice on something we're experts in.

While I must demure from the title expert, I did think of a couple of things. One - if you aren't already saving for retirement, do it NOW! A Roth IRA lets your money grow, and as long as you wait the required amount of time, the earnings are tax free when you take them out. As an example, if you put $5000 for two years into a Roth IRA when you are a teen, and invest those funds into a decent moderate risk fund, you'd be a millionaire when you retire, tax free. And that's without any additional contributions, ever.

I know most people can't do that when they're a teen, but it gives you an idea of the potential. (No, I'm not a financial advisor, but my job provides me with some level of expertise. 😉)

The other advice is totally mundane. If you like to use stainless or cast iron cookware, and you have trouble with food sticking, try this. Heat your skillet completely before you add any oil. I have an olive oil sprayer, so it takes hardly any at all, and my omelets, pancakes, etc come out of my iron skillet perfectly. No sticking at all. Most instructions tell you to heat the oil in the pan, but I guarantee you, doing it my way will reduce stuck-on food.

(The care of cast iron is easy, but it's a whole other subject!)
Are you licensed anywhere in the northeast? I have zero financial literacy and could use a good financial planner.

Even without a time machine, a Roth can save you taxes. There's no upper age limit on contributions, and as long as you can leave it five years, (provided you're at least 59.5 when you withdraw) no taxes on earnings. So even if you just put a little into a Roth certificate, for example, it'll save you in taxes on the earnings.
Okay now your supposed equal as co-Queen is buckled over laughing at herself
Roth is a type of ira, not a financial services firm - I genuinely am fucking clueless on this shit lol

I'm an expert in a great many things, but the work I find most fulfilling is in being with the dying and counseling families through grief. I've sat with children, spouses, parents, brothers and sisters, who have gone through some of the most traumatic life events imaginable (and some I'd previously thought unimaginable). And while every relationship is different, and every expression of grief is different, there's some advice that I think holds true across the board.

After the loss of a close loved one, allow yourself time to process that grief. As much as you can, take time off work, put down unnecessary tasks, and let yourself sit in the loss. Some folks find that keeping busy with work or hobbies keeps their mind from dwelling, and that's fine - but make sure you're finding time to really process what you're going through.

Recognize that there is no "correct" way to grieve and there is no timeline. Not everyone who grieves is going to spend every minute of every day crying. People simply aren't built to do that. We grieve in tears and laughter, in community and in solitude, in continuing our routines and in abandoning them altogether. And while there's no "getting over" a significant loss (especially of a spouse or a child), there is healing that happens. In some people it happens quicker than others. There's no timetable that at X months you should be feeling this, at Y months you should be feeling that, at Z months you're all better and back to normal. It just doesn't work like that.

People will often be well-intentioned, but have no idea what to do or say to you. Be ready to hear any number of platitudes, cliches, and hollow words that just aren't helpful. For most people, death is something we only think about when we're forced to. We're not good at talking about it, and so we often lean on things we may have heard along the way, just to have something to say. There's not much to be done since we can't control other peoples' words, but just know that it's coming, even from people who truly do mean well.

Identify your support people. Who are your family and friends that you can call when you're going through the long dark night of the soul? Who will pick up the phone at 3am, or run your errands, or check in on you, or do all the little things that WILL slip through the cracks while you're grieving? Who can you count on to be there after the first month, when the initial wave of sympathy cards and calls and trays of casseroles and lasagnas from friends and neighbors aren't coming anymore? Who will listen to you tell the same story for the 20th time, not because you think they haven't heard it, but just because you need to tell it. The stronger your support system, the better off you'll be.

Seek help. There's no shame in looking for a support group, therapy, or even medication. Grief takes as much of a physical toll on us as a mental and emotional toll. It's exhausting and can absolutely devastate our ability to simply function in our day-to-day lives. Even simple things like getting out of bed, taking a shower, and having breakfast can seem like monumental tasks. There are professionals who can help. There are people who have been through what you're going through. It may feel like you're totally alone, but I promise you, there are people out there willing to help see you through the toughest times. Give them a chance.

There's a lot more, but I think this covers the major points.

I also know a lot about Dungeons & Dragons, European church history, and how to make maple syrup (spoiler: you take maple sap and boil it).
Powerful, thank you for sharing, insightful Soothsayer

Advice in my area of expertise: get in the habit of healthy eating and regular exercise. Even walking for 20 minutes a day helps significantly and walking is free. (Remember, we evolved as pursuit predators, not ambush predators--our bodies are built for constant movement, not for sprinting.) You'll feel better with much less joint pain, fatigue, muscle aches, etc when you're in your 40s and beyond if you're putting good gas in the tank and running the engine regularly. You'll also keep your risk of diabetes, heart disease, various cancers, obesity and its complications low. You'll need me and my colleagues in the medical field less often.
I go along with this I get plenty of exercise,sometimes too much lol.But i feel pretty good for my age.

But the eating healthy part is hard,I try but temptation gets me probably too much.

Those were Caterpillar 3408s...
Currently, I'm running Detroit V-871s
I have been around some of the 3400 series engines mostly 3406 and 3412 .
We had a 3508 one time the oil cooler failed . Goofy thing would let coolant in the oil only after you shut it off and only until the coolant pressure dropped to nothing. We bullt a homemade pressure tester that oressurized the oil side of cooler and and capped one end of the exchanger off and filled it with water . We assumed that with air pressure on the oil side we would see air bubbles in the water inside the exchanger. But we didn’t . When the oil side was pressurized the leak was sealed . We cobbled up a way of pressurizing the coolant side and the thing leaked lol . Goofiest thing I had ever seen

Well, let's not go canonizing me just yet. I do take a lot of the emotional baggage home with me. It's unavoidable. I run my group 4 months on, 2 months off, 4 months on, 2 months off. I need those large breaks just to keep my own sanity.
Truly amazing work, thank you for the difference you’re making to their lives
🫂 🫂

I have been around some of the 3400 series engines mostly 3406 and 3412 .
We had a 3508 one time the oil cooler failed . Goofy thing would let coolant in the oil only after you shut it off and only until the coolant pressure dropped to nothing. We bullt a homemade pressure tester that oressurized the oil side of cooler and and capped one end of the exchanger off and filled it with water . We assumed that with air pressure on the oil side we would see air bubbles in the water inside the exchanger. But we didn’t . When the oil side was pressurized the leak was sealed . We cobbled up a way of pressurizing the coolant side and the thing leaked lol . Goofiest thing I had ever seen
Well done!
That "Gremlin chasing" sucks, doesn't it!?

Good morning all!

I'm a bit late on yesterday's task regarding "expertise" as I don't really consider any of mine to have many "real world applications" for most people, as it's basically all industrial "gear head" stuff... I'm "solution oriented."

According to the labor statistics I've seen, out of 330 million Americans, 12,400 hold an engine room license... do the % math on that. Lol
Does it make me special?.... NOT ONE BIT!
I'm just a tiny little cog in the wheel, making a living, helping to keep gas at the pumps and the lights on.... I usually refer to myself as an "oilfield prostitute" when people ask what I do.

Back to being solution oriented... While in the Arctic Circle, the keel cooler (a radiator/heat exchanger underneath the boat, 45 feet away from the engine) to my center generator froze up due to a failed jacket water heater.
I'd requested spare parts for the JW heaters and was denied because "The heaters are brand new."
I'd requested a couple drums of glycol (antifreeze) and was denied because "It's summertime up there Boo."

So, how to address the issue?
I knew there had to be pressure testing ports for the cooling system, so I popped a hatch cover to a void tank, did a bootleg confined space entry, tapped into the system with fittings, hoses, and an auxiliary pump, connected to the generator engine. To deliver heat closer to the frozen blockage,
I would run the engine and let it overheat to 205 F.
then circulate the hot water, transferring heat to the problem area... Rinse and repeat... I did this around the clock for a day and a half, thawing the system an hour before it was needed for service at the drilling rig.
Boring, mundane story... but welcome to a day in the life of Boattrash! Lol
I think the skill isn’t just in what you do/ did, dedicated FeatherOilHangman, but that you’re able to explain it to the layperson
I would now know what to do in such a situation. Except I wouldn’t recognize the problem. But nvm, I feel smarter lol

Last edited:
Advice in my area of expertise: get in the habit of healthy eating and regular exercise. Even walking for 20 minutes a day helps significantly and walking is free. (Remember, we evolved as pursuit predators, not ambush predators--our bodies are built for constant movement, not for sprinting.) You'll feel better with much less joint pain, fatigue, muscle aches, etc when you're in your 40s and beyond if you're putting good gas in the tank and running the engine regularly. You'll also keep your risk of diabetes, heart disease, various cancers, obesity and its complications low. You'll need me and my colleagues in the medical field less often.
Great advice, it makes you feel good and gives you more energy, well said, worthy… I forget your title!!
@touchofthebeast , I fear I deserve punishment…!

Maybe we can get someone to tap you with a whip. I think that might work. For you, you freaking pain slut!
Can you please respect the nature of the thread, or preferably visit a different thread
I always find your posts uncomfortable and inappropriate
Thank you for future consideration in allowing us to enjoy my thread

I think the skill isn’t just in what you do/ did, dedicated FeatherOilHangman, but that you’re able to explain it to the layperson
I would now know what to do in such a situation. Except I would recognize the problem. But nvm, I feel smarter lol
Thank you Your Highness!
I hope you are doing well and have been resting better!

Well done!
That "Gremlin chasing" sucks, doesn't it!?
Yes and it seems like that all I ever deal with lol . I work on cars too. I have fixed some of the damndest problems. Had a car that was having a 02 sensor issue. The only trouble codes was a 02 sensor lean . Showed almost no voltage . Checked live data and other sensors seemed to be reading correctly . Decided to trace wiring and ended up coming with an easier solution . I soldered wires on each end of a aaa battery . The voltage range for a standard 02 sensor is 0-1v . Aaa battery is 1.5v nominal . I checked live data with the aaa battery connected in the o2 circuit and had 1.2v . Wiring was good . So I hunted further . The map sensor grommet had failed . No whistling noise to indicate a vacuum leak but when you sprayed carb cleaner on it the car settled down and the 02 sensroe reading came up lol

Yes and it seems like that all I ever deal with lol . I work on cars too. I have fixed some of the damndest problems. Had a car that was having a 02 sensor issue. The only trouble codes was a 02 sensor lean . Showed almost no voltage . Checked live data and other sensors seemed to be reading correctly . Decided to trace wiring and ended up coming with an easier solution . I soldered wires on each end of a aaa battery . The voltage range for a standard 02 sensor is 0-1v . Aaa battery is 1.5v nominal . I checked live data with the aaa battery connected in the o2 circuit and had 1.2v . Wiring was good . So I hunted further . The map sensor grommet had failed . No whistling noise to indicate a vacuum leak but when you sprayed carb cleaner on it the car settled down and the 02 sensroe reading came up lol
Ooooo, I know what an O2 sensor is!!

After that, you lost me. 😂

Back