Anyone for random non-sex (but occasionally sex) chat on the thread here?

But inflation makes debt repayments costlier, reduces the value of land and capital, so doesn’t help government funding…
It Treasury Bills (T-Bonds) that facilitates spending $$ they don't have... Specifically called "Monetizing the debt."

It Treasury Bills (T-Bonds) that facilitates spending $$ they don't have... Specifically called "Monetizing the debt."
Probably missing something, but I’m not sure how that responds to my point about governments not benefiting from inflation?

Probably missing something, but I’m not sure how that responds to my point about governments not benefiting from inflation?
Yes Ma'am, I should've clarified that better. Govts. Create debt, but they really don't HAVE debt... They simply place the debt onto us, our kids, and grandkids...
Think of it as "Blame Shifting" on a massive scale, in dollars.

I hate to change the subject (actually, I'm desperate to change this subject), but... the meeting I was dreading for today got postponed. The facilitator has strep throat. Hooray for strep throat!

meeting cancelled.jpg

If there were to be a trivia night at ye olde publick house, which category(ies) of questions would you get all the answers right?

Yes Ma'am, I should've clarified that better. Govts. Create debt, but they really don't HAVE debt... They simply place the debt onto us, our kids, and grandkids...
Think of it as "Blame Shifting" on a massive scale, in dollars.
That’s a perennial problem - but they also create investment, in people, capital, etc
Without trying to completely oversimplify - people take out mortgages for a sensible inevitable in something of worth, (albeit often overcharged but that’s a separate question)
Governments likewise borrow in order to be able to invest in the future; yes it creates debt obligations for the future, as past borrowing has for today, but the resulting growth makes funding that possible
Government debt is only a problem if it’s unsustainable

Compare the national debt to having our credit cards maxed out to the point that every dime of income we make, BARELY covers the interest payment on our cards.... That's where the Govt is at currently, except it's worse, due to their "wordsmithery"...
Say our national debt is $30 trillion.... They also have a line item they call " Unfunded Liabilities" which you or I would call "debt" in our household finances... Last time I checked it, the US Unfunded Liabilities were $220 trillion....

I hate to change the subject (actually, I'm desperate to change this subject), but... the meeting I was dreading for today got postponed. The facilitator has strep throat. Hooray for strep throat!

View attachment 2414900

If there were to be a trivia night at ye olde publick house, which category(ies) of questions would you get all the answers right?
Congrats!

I’m not sure I would recognize the difference…!

As a metaphor for a classic seesaw battle between the forces of good and evil, last night's game had all of the dramatic elements worthy to be told as a Hollywood epic.

In the end duing a very bleak moment, the forces of good snatched a most triumphant victory out of the jaws of defeat. The guy that hit the grand slam to win the game most assuredly got Royally laid after the game.

Last edited:

View attachment 2414900

Ooh good question!
I hope modern government/ politics, classical music, basketball, modern cinema… do we get more niche than that?
Which would yours be?

As a metaphor for a classic battle between the forces of good and evil, last night's game had all of the dramatic elements worthy to ne told as a Hollywood epic.

In the end duing a very bleak moment, the forces of good snatched a most triumphant victory out of the jaws of defeat. The guy that hit the grand slam to win the game most assuredly got Royally laid after the game.
Okay, that sounds entertaining!

Ooh good question!
I hope modern government/ politics, classical music, basketball, modern cinema… do we get more niche than that?
Which would yours be?
Also government and politics, history, geography, and religion. I'd do well in some music, movie, and sports categories but not in others.

Compare the national debt to having our credit cards maxed out to the point that every dime of income we make, BARELY covers the interest payment on our cards.... That's where the Govt is at currently, except it's worse, due to their "wordsmithery"...
Say our national debt is $30 trillion.... They also have a line item they call " Unfunded Liabilities" which you or I would call "debt" in our household finances... Last time I checked it, the US Unfunded Liabilities were $220 trillion....
Yet it’s still in the top 15 credit ratings globally
Nobody is gonna stop lending to the US, in part because of the high value placed by others on the dollar
Which means the debt is sustainable, particularly as some of that worsening of outlook came as a result of the pandemic ie a black swan event

Good morning to the Court!

Your loyal Alchemist has been out and about, running errands.

I'll be in absentia most of the weekend, but I'll stop in as I can. 😊

As for trivia teams - I'd probably do best on music, or maybe general history. I know a little about a lot, but not a lot about much of anything. 😉

35 trillion and counting
23 million millionaires in the US.

https://www.usdebtclock.org/

Back